What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Red curry paste, kaffir lime leaves, peppers, and string beans. A simple preparation which yields mind-blowing flavor and heat.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Honestly, it was better than most of such wines I’ve had. I stopped bringing back indigenous spirits altogether whilst on vacation because most of them SUCK. Rare and bizarre exception given to Jacquin’s gin and vodka made in PA.

She went to Vermont last year and brought back “craft” gin. I knew based on the smell I wouldn’t like it. The taste was worse. I thought, perhaps, I had grabbed a bottle of Pinesol instead. I nearly fainted when I found out the price.

On her way back on this most recent trip, she also picked me up a bottle of Strange Monkey Gin from Virginia. I’m scared!

EDIT: Your meal tonight looks fantastic!

3 Likes

One of these days, I’ll grab an order to go and test it out! :smiley:

1 Like

It’s the thought that counts :joy:

1 Like

A very happy birthday, @emglow101! Sounds like a great birthday dinner!

1 Like

I hope you called/wrote a note to the owner/manager about Karen’s poor behavior and service.

Yes. You are right.

And still I do not have the heart to tell her that I’d rather make a Draino martini than use that gin…

1 Like

I love seeing your toddler chowing down!

3 Likes

Could you turn it into some kind of cordial or Genever-type drink? Macerate fruit in it? Barrel age it?

Good ideas. I am going to have to do something with it. It was $65!!! :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

1 Like

I forgot, I also worked shredded zucchini into the meatball mix. I’d say “hid,” but the lil one mixed them up.

5 Likes

The owner is well aware if you saw the fireworks in the Semolina thread, but the customer is always wrong in his eyes.

1 Like

Finally! All the stars alligned and I made Vivian Howard’s tomato pie.

I had to sneak it past the husband who does not like tomatoes, or fruit for that matter.

Just the crust please!

He felt tomato pie was a personal affront.

Shrugs.

I used the ring form.

This is the store bought pie dough.

![IMG_20190722_215347|700x393]

(upload://5tC0BUCYhR84jGagOnSIHB5tRld.jpeg)

review_of_store_bought_pie_crusts

19 Likes

Over the weekend, we prepped a load of tomatoes as this recipe:

They last about a week so will feature a fair bit in the coming days. Their first outing is today with a variation on a summery tomato tart we do. A sheet of ready rolled all-butter puff pastry will be smeared with pesto, leaving about a 1cm border, and then topped with a mix of the cooked toms (well drained of the liquid) and halved cherry toms. Bakes for a while. We’ll have it warm with some salad leaves alongside. They will be leftovers which are fine cold for tomorrows lunch.

By the by, the original recipe for the tart (and the version we usually do) smears the pastry with a spicy tomato chutney and has a topping of sun-dried and fresh cherry tomatoes.

7 Likes

I have so much tomatoes been giving them away but a neighbor came yesterday, went and harvested most of what was still on the vine ( I thought I will harvest them today or tomorrow as they look ripe but still need to get a wee soft for me to freeze them ) and took the ones one the table saying she wants to can them ( had can her tomatoes already) and will give me some. Was not too happy about that as I like to share but nor give everything to one person. Where did. you get the Leadbetter crust? Are they much better? I think I will experiment with Nigel’s recipe below

2 Likes

Looks good! I will try this when I have chance to buy a puff pastry sheet. Thanks for sharing.
Son returning home next week. Wander if he can bring olives from Europe? He laugh at the olives here saying if one has had olives in Spain or Italy one would not eat those here.

1 Like

Looks great!

It’s hard to keep the passion alive sometimes! I just keep trying and hoping he will cone around and that the times when I make more effort, it pays off. A bad meal makes me so upset!

3 Likes

Thank you @ChristinaM ! Not ring mold; spring-form.

My all-time favourite olive is one sold at the weekly market in Pollensa, Mallorca. They crack them so the brine permeates right through the flesh. And very nicely bitter as well. I see myself sat on the patio of the villa we’d rented with a bowl of them, some local salami and and a cold Kas Bitters to sip.

6 Likes