What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

That was unfortunate. As often as you and Mrs. P dine out I think this is the first time you’ve mentioned having a disapointing evening. Which is pretty good odds when you think about it! May the next dinner be perfect!

3 Likes

We live in Northern California. Yes, good peach orchards both in the Central Valley and in the Brentwood area. Most of the peaches we’ve bought this season have been good. I am still looking for O’Henry variety, which in past seasons have been sublime. We’ll see this year, if in fact I haven’t already missed them.

4 Likes

Spanakopita and tomato soup - tired and uninspired. We had massive tacos out for lunch so weren’t very hungry.

8 Likes

My west facing kitchen has been an oven lately. I’ve just been eating a lot of sandwiches. Took a break from that tonight with rotissary chicken and a blackbean salad that included fresh corn and avocado. Broke down the chicken as soon as I brought it home. Stock is going in the crockpot. It will become tomato pesto soup to use up tomatoes which are going soft too fast these days. Extra chicken will become chicken salad served over lettuce for dinners. Need to get some vegetables into my meals again!

5 Likes

happy birthday . well deserved !

3 Likes

It has been like an oven as soon as I open my doors to let poms out but they refuse to go out. I do not blame them with their furs, it is like wearing a mink coat in summer! I have to literally carry them out! Suffering from (?) contact dermatitis , perhaps tomato plants despite wearing gloves. Perhaps it was bec I did not wear gloves to process the ripe ones, scooping the center out and making an X before freezing them. Thank goodness, my house is cool ( even had to wear a robe) with geothermal unit as 2 of my friends have their AC failed. I am going out to water the plants despite sprinkler system and probably go to local grocery store to buy some turkey breast to eat with mayo and tomatoes, and make chicken fruit salad as it is too hot to cook. When I went out to water the plants right outside my porch for 30 minutes, I was soaking wet. Had to drink coconut water to replace my electrolytes.

3 Likes

Sorry there are some unacceptable service people. You should write this up on the internet!
We took our poms to be groomed in a new shop as the manager at the shop we frequent was transferred to another location. I was on time for the appointment and when I returned, my Wolfie kept on scooting. I also noticed they had very very bad hair cut despite the fact I took my lap top to show them I do not want them to be shaved, no lions cut, just the cut appropriate for show dogs.
I was worried bec scooting may be an infection of anal sac problem, took them to vet the next day, had them tested for parasites etc etc. Everything was negative except for the fact that she saved off so much hair that his anal portion was exposed to cooler air and it irritated him. My son returned home, went ballistic, he called and was told I was late but that was not true. I was not only on time but 30 min ahead of time ahead of appointment.
He published their pictures before and after on the internet, sent it to the headquarter of that shop as it was a chain store. His Headline was " My Poms got punished " The administrator of the chair store called, refunded us and apologized for the stylist. Wolfie’s hair eventually grew back. We now trim them ourself.

2 Likes

As planned, we did a Vietnamese-informed rice noodle salad. Wild shrimp are on sale at Whole Foods so that was the protein for B, while I stuck with a tofu mishmash. Whenever it gets really hot, I turn to Thailand or Vietnam as I am one of those who will sit my butt in a tiny stool in the streets of Hanoi or Saigon or Bangkok and have a big old bowl of soup.

16 Likes

oh, I sympathize so much. life changing allergies, and life threatening! I’ve had bad but not life threatening allergies all my life, and childhood asthma. The allergies have changed some as I’ve aged. I can still get instant hives from most cats. I haven’t had a bee or wasp sting in decades, but the last two I had were bad.

I hope you get positive change soon. Yes, having more knowledge than local doctors is also difficult…good luck! You are a great cook and a great mom to your son and a great human to your dogs!

3 Likes

I am in Boston, and I sure wish I could get some of your great local fresh field peas and small okra! Or has the season for them ended? We can’t get either locally grown except for shell peas sometimes, and they don’t taste at all like field peas, to me. We don’t have tomatoes yet, but soon.

Last night’s Thai food from Kunya Siam in Atlantic Highlands, NJ

Crispy fried beef with hot sauce and pickled veggies

Grilled eggplant topped with minced chicken, red onion, shrimp, mint, and a spicy dressing

My BF’s tamarind chicken. I’ve never been at this place and drunk at the same time, but I imagine this would be the best drunk food on the planet

Sinister spice levels on this Pad Prik Khing. Most people order spice level based on their star system from 1-3 (3 being hottest) but since they know me, the owner took our order and gave me a special blast between 4 and 5 stars. It was lethal. I was dripping and practically gasping, but oh so good.

Washed down with this wine which my mom brought back from a trip to North Carolina. It wasn’t bad for a touristy novelty wine.

13 Likes

PAD PRIK KHING… tell me again about the spice level…and what is in it?

2 Likes

Eli,
LET THE RESTAURANT KNOW!

1 Like

They are already aware and couldn’t care less. The customer is always wrong in their books. The fireworks are in the Semolina thread.

1 Like

You know I have had experiences like that, and you know what…too bad for them, I or you will never be back…and as always they think that are always customers, until they close their doors!

3 Likes

Still in SE Asia mode with shrimp, avocado, and mango salad. Lots of cilantro and scallions. Spring onion contributed by cutting up the avocado and mixing up the salad. Avocado was a bit too ripe so the salad was a bit goopier than I like. Main dish was cod poached in coconut milk with fish sauce/garlic/ginger/chilies/bok choy/cilantro/tiny bit of brown sugar over rice noodles. Very good.

Whenever I cook Southeast Asian food, which is quite often, I find myself appreciating all the “simple” meals I have had in Southeast Asia and here in the States. Dang it’s a lot of work which all those (mostly women in our experience) cooks put out with such apparent ease. But many of those cooks have probably gotten up at 3 AM to start a stock, etc.

15 Likes

I had a little extra time today to make Ina’s recipe for Anna’s Tomato Tart. A par-baked pastry crust is brushed with a generous amount of dijon, covered with gruyere and parm, and then topped with tomatoes tossed with a pesto of parsley, thyme, basil and garlic. It’s all topped with a little more gruyere and parm and baked until the tomatoes are juicy and the cheeses are melted. It is rich, so we have plenty left over for the next night or two. I overworked the dough a bit and it was a little dense, but otherwise we were pretty happy. The tomatoes were a mix of bounty from the Earth Boxes and organic Pennsylvania cherries from Whole Foods. Boneless skin-on (slightly overcooked) chicken thighs rounded out the meal.

14 Likes

Oh, my. That all looks fab. I really like your cooking and eating style!

Agree that Biltmore wines are not all that. The ones made with grapes imported from outside NC are slightly better. My fave is the blanc de blanc bubbly.

3 Likes

I finally cooked something real today! A loose interpretation of this meatball dish in coconut-turmeric broth, over brown rice noodles. I added a lot more seasoning and herbs than the recipe calls for and used 50:50 ground pork/beef.
And I made the chicken stock from scratch in my IP (freezer dive).

After many disappointing quickie meals, this successful effort really hit the spot! (I was beginning to think I’d lost my mojo.) The toddler also dug in. :raised_hands:

By the way, the black things are long beans.

14 Likes

That made me laugh out loud. And lordy knows we all need to laugh more these days!

4 Likes