What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Thank you for your very nice compliment. I do not know which was the post you saw.
Unfortunately , I just realized that my allergy is getting worse.
I was so rushed to finish baking those bread and to wrap the potstickers bec I was getting blebs on my hands and fingers but had not gone out to the garden ( tons and tons of lamb’s ear to dead head to prevent seeding so I can see the spring and fall bulbs. ) since my son left Monday. It is now up to me to harvest his tomatoes to freeze and to give away.
Although the pot stickers were delicious, they s were very ugly. I now realize that the tomato plants that I had been handling since tuesday are the cause of my allergy.
UGH ! Was planning to experiment with gazpacho and a tomato pound cake but between the100 degree weather and my antihistamines, what can one do?
Here are pictures of my lamb’s ear Stachys Byzantine which shows the fall bulb from last. year attempting to peak

out. Unfortunately, I bought the ones that has purple spikes and though they are beautiful, the flower stalks reseed vigorously and has to be taken out otherwise I cannot find my spring and fall bulbs. Wish someone would like them. One landscaper saw them in May, commented how lovely they are . I promised to give him as much as he wants as I have plenty and am very sensitive to the dried stalks. He has not shown up saying this is a very busy season. I wander if he understands that seeds can only be harvested at certain time!

Add images here

5 Likes

Maybe you could wear gloves when you do the gardening? It is of course extremely uncomfortable in hot weather, but it’s probably better than suffering from allergic reactions.

1 Like

Wearing long sleeves and gloves really helps. I’m also allergic to tomato leaves.

2 Likes

Left work at 4:30 to run some errands.

Didn’t want to cook. So a salad it was. The last of my lettuce, sliced cukes and French Breakfast radishes, cherry tomatoes, leftover chopped roast chicken, goat cheese, dried cranberries. Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette drizzled on top.

Vodka, lemonade and ginger for a libation. Two of 'em.

10 Likes

Frozen pizza, homegrown kale salad with plums and tomatoes, and zucchini noodles.

7 Likes

We had a sensational dinner at newly opened French / Korean fusion restaurant Bloom, in Verona, NJ. Below is a link to the details and mouth watering pictures.

3 Likes

Grilled peppers and oil

Veg tian

Steak and artichoke fregola

12 Likes

Clam pie on the grill

12 Likes

Need!

2 Likes

Way longer day at work than my planned half day. Argh. Got home and decided to relax in the kitchen. Made a batch of ricotta gnocchi with a quick cherry tomato sauce. Side was some baked crispy zucchini sticks. And WINE!

19 Likes

Nice. I make Austrian version (without ricotta), served with Speck-butter sauce.

People be like “don’t you just want to go home and put your feet up after work?”, “aren’t you tired? Why do you always go swimming after work?” etc. I get tired if I don’t swim! I get stressed if I don’t swim! After swimming, steaming, and under water high-pressure massage I am completely calm and happy to go home and rest! Only until then I can rest! Cooking is similarly therapeutic.

8 Likes

That looks so good! I miss the days when cooking was a form of relaxation.

Could you please share the recipe?

3 Likes

I hear you! I feel like the last two years have been a high pressure cooking challenge! Will she eat this? How fast can dinner get to the table? Can I cook 2 things together? Haha

4 Likes

I am accustomed to wear gloves and so so all the time but still have problem, However, I did not wear gloves when I started to harvest those tomatoes as this is the first time for me to do edible gardening. It is my son’s project. I now know better

With chronic urticaria diagnosed as auto immune disease, I am quite sensitive. We had to eradicate over 100 rose bushes when I became allergic , and now, I am allergic to conifers but am not about to eradicate them as they hold precious memories. cannot prune them myself.

Weather has been very hot, yesterday was over 100 degrees, so in such instance, I do not wear long sleeve shirts.

1 Like

Do antihistamines help?

2 Likes

I consulted with local allergist re chronic urticaria but not very helpful
I am taking 2 kinds of antihistamine now, one that is not drowsy, and one drowsy
I also take topical corticosteroids, have epi pen on hand , take Histamine 2 blockers when I get GI problem
I have seen a local dermatologist before but not helpful
There is a man made drug omalizumab (Xolair) but if the allergist and dermatologist do not suggest that, I am not going to push them. They already think I am too pushy as I have never practiced where I reside. I am a stranger to the docs here.
There is of course immune suppressing drugs but I would not want to resort to that unless this is life threatening knowing what my husband had gone thru with them.
Thanks

• Man-made (monoclonal) antibodies. The drug omalizumab (Xolair) is very effective against a type of difficult-to-treat chronic hives. It’s an injectable medicine that’s usually given once a month.
  • Immune-suppressing drugs. Options include cyclosporine (Gengraf, Neoral, others) and tacrolimus (Astagraft XL, Prograf, Protopic).

Request an Appointment at Mayo Clinic

1 Like

I guess I’m lucky. I take a Dimetane every other day and that keeps my allergies in check.

Cooking for me is relaxing, but only if DH is around to do the dishes!!

The recipe is from Gjelina, a great cookbook. Found this online and looks the same. (Hope the link works- I’ve never posted a link here before).

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/ricotta-gnocchi-cherry-tomato-pomodoro-31928

2 Likes

Ty!

Someone I know has shared something similar. Yikes.