What's for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

Nice!

Lovely!

I’ve only seen donut peaches, but it wouldn’t surprise me

1 Like

Doughnut peaches and nectarines both available in the UK - although the former are much more common. The supermarket had both yesterday. Unfortunately, both had that anooying “ripen at home” label - which they never do properly - so we didnt buy.

Waiting at the Beijing Airport terminal today, I see a mob descending all around me. I have no idea what’s going on. The guy standing next to me says, “Lin! Jeremy Lin!” Lin was wearing a turquoise hooded sweatshirt. This is the closest I could get.

Dinner was a julienned cucumber and cilantro salad, vinegar soup, and this celery/peppers/onions/beef dish. The dish continues cooking at the table and the onions on the bottom soak up all the juices and get sauteed.

11 Likes

The days have been passing in a blur given a series of summer visitors.

I have a brief respite to do laundry and errands before a weekend wedding, more visitors, and a trip.

Comfort meal of bacon & egg fried rice with gochujang (inspired by the kimchi bacon rice in Koreatown - the book) to use up rice from the night of the recent nyc blackout, when I had to cook dinner for houseguests (incl kids) and we landed on black beans and rice as the most crowd-pleasing meal I could make in the half hour of daylight remaining with what was in the pantry (no fridge/freezer ingredients because we didn’t know how long the blackout would last, and I didn’t want anything to spoil faster by opening them).

Rice was tasty, but needed more BACON… doesn’t everything, though :grin:

Apparently I took a pic of another thrown-together dinner earlier this week - a masala omelette with leftover seekh kabab crumbled into it. Tasted like a street dish called “baida roti” - “eggs with bread” - which is a thin crepe stuffed with spiced ground meat, well coated in egg. This is a good meal to repeat - more of the not-great seekh kababs (from a new place bec my guests refused to walk 2 blocks to the good place) sitting in my freezer.

10 Likes

That’s pretty cool!

I was just thinking of you (and your biryani invitation… j/k) bec I’m heading to the Baltimore area for a wedding this weekend.

Hope your trip is going fabulously!

1 Like

Want!

(although the concept of any seekh kebab actually being leftover is a bit alien to me)

2 Likes

Wait…what? I looked it up. I didn’t know about that! Of course it made me flash back to the ones in '65 and '77.

1 Like

I would love to make these this summer, but I need the instructions. My local library does not have her book, nor can I find the recipe on the internet. Closest I could find is: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pickled-farm-stand-tomatoes-with-jalapenos
Is it close enough to the original? TIA

Tonight I made chicken marsala served over pappardelle. Bacon-braised Italian runner beans as the side - my best rendition yet. The toddler ate sauced chicken and noodles, and licked a green bean. I’ll take it

9 Likes

We had a “sweep street” dinner in Sham Shui Po last night, meaning binge eating from many stalls or shops on the same street, a “new” local term a restaurant owner taught me.

We first went to eat carts noodles, which we chose our toppings, our soups. This restaurant operated 3 shops on the same street but we still need to wait about 15 minutes to get seated.

Fish cakes, squid balls, fish skins, garlic chives and rice noodles

Pork intestines, sea snails, pork skins etc with flat noodles for Mr. n.

Spicy cuttlefish

Our second place was a traditional Wonton place with homemade noodles.

Dumplings with shrimp paste

Shrimp roe noodles

The last place we went to was a dessert place.

Ginger egg white milk

Mango sorbet with tofu

If we have time we would like to do a second round in this area.

13 Likes

Cross cultural plate. Started out with green onion and beef

Served on udon

and some raspberries

9 Likes

Date night dinner tonight. The local Best Market continues to have amazing deals on filet mignon ($8.99 a pound!). Cooked some up tonight with a nice salt and pepper crust, homemade steak fries, and my damn near famous bacon-bourbon Brussels Sprouts. Dessert was some delicious pastries from a local bakery.

11 Likes

Please share that sprouts recipe!

3 Likes

Breakfast for dinner. Soft scrambled eggs with scallions, green chilli, and lots of black pepper. And a rasher of bacon… the rest has been portioned and is now in the freezer, where it will require more effort :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve never seen or considered eggs so flavored. Thanks for opening a new door.

Short on time!

I think you can see the ingredients.

Tomatoes, green onion, chiles go in one bowl, peppercorns, mustard seed, ginger, garlic, tumeric, cumin, paprika in another. Heat olive oil until “almost” smoking (that sort of instruction makes me a little crazy), add spices and stir “vigorously” for 2-3 minutes, then pour over onions and tomatoes.

Bring vinegars, salt, and sugar to a boil and pour over.

Stir, and cool to room temp.

I used Fresno chiles, cherry tomatoes ( Principe Borghese and Maglia Rosa), sliced in half but didn’t peel.
Hope to add a few raw tomatoes as they ripen, but that might not be a good idea.

You’re welcome!

You might enjoy Bhurji - Indian scrambled eggs with onion, green chilli, tomatoes, and cilantro. Also good with tofu or paneer instead of eggs.

3 Likes

Yes, I can see the ingredients, just needed the instructions. Now if my tomatoes will just get ripe I’m all set. Thanks