What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

June went out with a bang in my kitchen. I bought a whole prime ribeye subprimal at Costco a couple of weeks ago and it has been wet aging in the fridge. I trimmed it up and cut it into steaks today - ended up with 11 nice fat 16-20 oz steaks, plus a couple of pounds of scraps from the chain meat and a few pounds of fat for grinding. They charge $20+ per pound for trimmed prime ribeye steaks, and I paid $10.99 for this, so more than worth the effort!

My garlic scapes (a puny harvest this year, sadly) were also ready, so I whipped up a quick pesto. Roasted cherry tomatoes, fresh ricotta and Brussels sprouts with garlic chips (sauteed in the beef pan) rounded out the meal. We are fat and happy!

17 Likes

A classic tonight. Brioche bun, organic beef, homegrown pickles and lettuce.

14 Likes

Quiet day.

Except for the multiple stormy thundah-boomahs that came through all day.

Dinner was marinated/roasted chicken thighs. The marinade was minced fresh rosemary, lemon-thyme, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh lemon zest, homemade honey-mustard, honey, salt and pepper.

Roasted Herbs de Provence tri-color potatoes and steamed asparagus. Wine.

Short week next week, but it’ll be a hell week with 3 days to do as much billing as I can so I don’t have to work on the weekend. Can’t wait. :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Gorgeous! That will be my dinner on July 4!

1 Like

I bow down to that subprimal prime ribeye
WOW !!!

4 Likes

And…Corn!

1 Like

We had dinner at Fin Raw Bar and Kitchen in Montclair. It was ok, but I don’t think the A team was in the kitchen tonight. Some dishes that we have had in the past, that were excellent, we just so so tonight. The 7 spiced big eye tuna was a little stringy tonight. The soba noodles that came with it were excellent as usual. The calamari wasn’t as crispy as usual. The spring roll filled with shrimp and lobster with a spicy mustard dipping sauce was probably the best appetizer. We also had a special of blackened octopus salad with arugula, red onion, mango, in a supposed red wine vinaigrette which was nowhere to be seen. The octopus had a nice char to it, but the mango was not ripe, and there was no dressing on the salad. We brought along an excellent 2017 Zuccardi Concreto Malbec that was listed as number 10 on the 2018 Wine Enthusiast top 100 list.

10 Likes

BLK (kale) on sourdough baguette, double smoked bacon

14 Likes

Those ARE gorgeous! I wish my husband liked (chicken) thighs!

I need to check the position in the UK, about changing practices.

As folk probably know, our National Helath Service generally provides free medical care (paid from general taxation). Dental services are more complex in that, whilst dentistry is widely available on the NHS, dental practices can also provide private treatment (and many practices don’t offer NHS treatment). And NHS dental services are not entirely free, although charges are capped. I’ve been a patient at our practice for 20+ years but it changed hands a couple of years back. I’ve been less happy with the new dentist who, I think, is more interested in selling me private services than dealing with any issues under NHS treatment. A recent visit has confirmed that with the guy saying that a treatment (crowns) were no longer available as an NHS treatment - when I checked, that is simply not true. And, in fact, crowns are no longer actually recommended treatment for my problem. So, I’ve basically lost all faith in the guy - wanting to charge me around £2k for sub-optimal private treatment, when the preferred treatment (which he has now done) cost £60 as an NHS charge.

As for dinner tonight, pork loin steaks with a gooseberry sauce - basically cooked down berries with a touch of sugar, much as you’d make a sharp apple sauce to go with piggy. Accompaniments as yet undecided. Looks as though our summer may be over after two days - it’s cloudy with temps only forecast to be upper teens. So, dinner inside, I think

2 Likes

Last dinner for us in June:

Grilled pork chops.

8 Likes

Looks more like a BKT

2 Likes

Started the July thread here:

Jay-zuzzzz… nice!

I appreciate that you didn’t make a “jealous much?” face. Enjoy the feast!

These days I can get imported crabs from various Asian countries but I still like the typical brown ones from around these parts. Got whole crabs once but it was too much work so back to just the claws since. I eat the claws all the time, 10 euros a kilo (about 2,5 lbs).

Turn on the radio, open a beer and take my sweet time.

7 Likes

Right!

Gorgeous, indeed. I only want to eat the thighs but it’s more economical to buy a whole bird. The partner gladly eats the breasts. Chickens (or meat in general) I eat are expensive so I make a bird last and last, minimum 3 meals.

The absolute best.

Usually get this from the market poultry stall.

Most often bought, naturally yellow chicken from France called “poulet jaune”.

PS: @Harters, my health insurance is expensive and dental insurance is separate. :cold_sweat: Now dental practices are allowed to set their own prices.

8 Likes

W/the PSTOB and saaaalt

1 Like

Nice!

How was the hot chicken? And sides?

It was quite an adventure; ordering and paying online, so it would be ready if I could get the Lyft driver to stop there before taking me to the airport, then packing it in my suitcase at the airport, and schlepping it 2500 miles to Minneapolis to Sacramento.

Dark meat

White meat, minus the wings, which is the only white meat I usually like.

Didn’t eat it until then, and it was not at all crispy, but tasty with the perfect heat ( I ordered medium). I got coleslaw, and waffles, which they only have on Sunday. Waffles were not at all crispy either after the long trip in my suitcase, but husband really enjoyed them. Haven’t tried the slaw yet, and most of my trophy chicken is still in the fridge. And some stained clothes in the washing machine.

BTW, a patient of husband gifted him two pineapples from Hawaii, and I will be looking for ideas on another thread.

8 Likes