What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

Problem with eating dinner too early is getting hungry again long before bedtime…

Quick fried egg over spicy, garlicky breadcrumbs hit the spot.

14 Likes

Have you tried their elderflower tonic?

1 Like

No cooking tonight. Take out appetizers from the Thai place. Spring rolls (fresh and fried), tofu, and chicken larb.

12 Likes

No, but I will!

1 Like

Watching “Ugly Delicious; Nashville… actually…Fried Chicken”. Would it be obnoxious to take some hot chicken on the plane? Is it on the “No fly” list?

2 Likes

Dammmmnnn.

1 Like

beautiful pic - you make even take-out look gorgeous!

Now, that’s inventive!

Following behind Eli, and Mrs. P, we re-purposed grilled chicken breasts to create a third dinner…

8 Likes

Dinner on the patio - temperatures expected to reach the high 20s

There’s potted shrimps to start. Brown bread and butter, of course.

Followed by a chicken breast recipe we’ve been doing for. literally, decades. Originally a Valentina Harris recipe, the only online mentions I can find seem to be me mentioning it- for instance on Chowhound’s WFD thread from March 2011 (WFD #76). This is what I wrote then and, depending on what veg Mrs H brings home from the supermarket, it’s probably going to be unchanged:

*“A couple of chicken breasts are browned along with some very finely chopped garlic and rosemary. A good slosh of wine vinegar goes in and boils down a tad, then a small glass of white wine. Lid on and it potters away gently till it’s done. We usually just have some salad leaves with this but tonight some saute spuds and steamed carrot ribbons.”

As for dessert - peach & blueberry sour cream cobbler - as this recipe:

It’ll probably need some ice cream alongside.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s all that noxious…

1 Like

Attempt at a grilled mahi mahi sandwich with mayo, cucumber-mango relish, and hot sauce, on a hoagie roll.

Also grilled garlic bread. Very carb heavy dinner last night.

10 Likes

Nice job of re-purposing Jimmy!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the helpful insights, bmore, and the link. The dome does look pretty intriguing! What a clever idea.

I think I missed out on the round pizza-making gene. Mine never quite turn out evenly shaped. They probably would cook more evenly if they were uniform. Also, the suggestion of using parchment is a good one. I used it a few times when I had a stone and it worked well, but haven’t yet used it on the steel. I’ll give that a try next time. I have read that cooking near the top of the oven, and then turning off the baking element and turning on the broiler cooks the pizza more quickly. I might give that a try next time. My broiler element isn’t that powerful, so I’m not sure how that will work. (I do have a new range on the horizon in the near future, though!) Also, lifting the pizza off the stone and to the top of the oven is a good suggestion. I do really like the steel and feel like, with some tweaking, it will work out.

Thanks again for your help!

3 Likes

Love this dish! Really good, I made a similar recipe a few times.

Haha, I couldn’t sleep if I start feeling hungry in bed. Husband could (!)

1 Like

Great temperature. In France, it is still going in the high 30s to even 40s , after 4 or 5 days of intense heat, luckily temperature will dip tomorrow. I feel sorry for my neighbours helping to take care of my plants during the heat wave. Will buy them some great food.

2 Likes

I’ve had very good luck using the baking steel for pizza in the oven. Take another look at the website for tips and instructions. You have to be quick with the pizza peel or the dough will stick.

1 Like

carolina1, where do you put the oven rack: top, bottom or middle? And, what temp?
Thanks.

It
Is
So
HOT :hot_face:

Only cold food happening around here…
made a batch of barley veg salad thing for lunches- new trick worked to boil it a few min and then just let sit a while and it was cooked! This was just the barley with some scallions, cilantro, olives and spiced salt mix with kimchi vinaigrette. Had ontop of some greens another day.

My friend’s parents are in town and i went over the other night for grilling on the terrace

. Crazys were out on the Hudson in kyacks (god only knows what is in THAT water) and although she insisted don’t bring anything i know she didn’t actually mean it because no one says no to surprise garlic knots! Six orders, six people, zero leftovers

Too dark for pics by the time we had actually grilled anything!
Salads still happening of course. Almost interesting one here with some decent tomatoes and too much red onion

13 Likes