What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

Our last dinner before we head out to Wilco’s music festival out in the Berkshires tomorrow. Leftover linguine/chickpea/broccolini which benefitted greatly from additional pasta-cooking water (which I saved from last night just in case). I also had started soaking gigante beans a couple of days ago and prepped them Greek style. Man, I gotta say, they turned out quite well.

I’ve given up taking photos of my plated dishes so here is a pot shot.

15 Likes

Recipe please!

Thanks! Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I riffed on Michael Symon’s version.

2 Likes

It still looks great to me! I hope the toddler (and the mama) recover(s) soon.

1 Like

looks great and thanks for reminding me to save the pasta cooking water, like I save the chickpea and other dried bean cooking liquid. I grew up in North Carolina where the cooking liquid for greens is called pot liquor, which is highly prized.

1 Like

He’s eaten steelhead trout, and I bet char would go down swell. Thanks for the tilapia tip. We may try the fish nuggets there.

ETA: I craved and ate salmon all pregnancy, so no surprise he loves it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

BF took the pulled pork i made the other night (if anyone’s counting, this has been an extra porkalicious week - 3 times already!) and made sliders with TJs Carolina Gold BBQ sauce, and slaw, and then had me run across the street to a cheese steak place and get fries instead of making his own. I am bursting.

15 Likes

Want!

Wilco! Swoon…

Dem beans are pretty nice too! :heart:

1 Like

Tonight - a brown gloop from the freezer, in the form of Middle Eastern-ish lamb meatballs in tomato sauce (leftovers from last month). Khobez bread as the carb.

There’ll be a salad on the table - cucumber, radish, spring onion, feta, mint & parsley, red wine vinegar and my best Palestinian organic olive oil. Supermarket houmous - and , if another dip seems a good idea, then I’ll mix tahini with a little date syrup. And we’ve always olives and several jars of torshi in the fridge to perk things up.

6 Likes

We’re closing in on that kind of food re-purposing: three large chicken breasts, with the third remnant tonight in a dinner salad.

2 Likes

A friend came to dinner and requested pizza. I happened to have a little leftover pesto-coated chicken waiting to be cooked and some pistachio pesto that I had made a couple of days earlier from the lovely basil in our Earth Boxes, so one of the pies was a chicken-pesto. The others were the usual garlic oil, fontina, asiago and parm.

I’m still trying to get the timing and temp down on the pizza steel. They are cooking at max oven temp of 550, and the bottom tends to burn a bit. Maybe I need to take them out a little earlier and sacrifice a bit of crispiness. Other than that, we were all pretty happy.

17 Likes

A few days in HK already, a few highlight of meals. Unfortunately, stomach has been a weird since more than 2 week since overeating a buffet meal in France.

Char Siu

Roasted pork belly and ribs

Goose blood with chives

Steamed fish

Quail eggs dim sum

Quail eggs, thousand eggs bun, chicken feet, chicken tofu wrap (clockwise)

Har Gow, chicken feet, siu mai

19 Likes

Happy birthday as well, in past, present or future tense. I don’t have sense of time anymore.

1 Like

Just gorgeous!

I have not been to TJs lately, but this sauce looks and sounds amazing. Might have to check it out on the way home this afternoon!

1 Like

Want!

And the pork belly.

And the sui mai. And har gau. And, And, And

3 Likes

These pics make me want to hop on a plane right now. Gorgeous!

1 Like

Thanks, RedJim!