What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

Beautiful

1 Like

Thank you :relaxed:

Happy Birthday

1 Like

Thanks, PHREDDY… Might have been the best chicken I’ve ever grilled. Given my bone-headed oversight, it had to be special.

2 Likes

Welcome mat :wink:

Thanks, yeah, yuck!!

I asked him to take a sick day today to watch our kiddo and let me sleep. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

:joy: yup

Last night could barely sit through dinner with the crud. I made homemade sweet potato fries with our toddler (prepped earlier in the day - he loved making and eating them) and frozen fish “fillets” (more like breaded mush). Salad leftovers adding fresh fennel and scallion.

9 Likes

No-bake cheesecake last night, with blackberries and strawberry sauce. (Actually, Biscoff-based crust was baked. ) Recipe from Serious Eats.

8 Likes

That looks delicious! Would you recommend it? It’s kind of a cheesecake Jello?

It’s warm and sunny here in North Cheshire - really for the first time this year. Temperatures in the mid-20s. Dinner will be on the patio.

Outside of Italy where they know how to make a proper risotto, I usually steer clear of it. Too many restaurant chefs want to present it artfully - so make it quite dry so it can be moulded into a round patty. But this is NOT artful cheffy food. It’s food made with love and cheap ingredients.

So, with some considerable degree of lurrrve, we making risotto. Trust me, it’ll be wettish - like you get it in restaurants in northern Italy, not those in northern England. There’s a base of chopped onion slowly softened in butter. The rice goes in and is stirred through the butter to coat. A glass of wine goes in and, after a while, ladles of vegetable stock (yes, we use low salt bouillon powder). When it’s almost done, grated courgettes go in (they’ve been previously salted to draw out the moisture). After a couple of minutes, cooked broad beans are added. I’m using frozen which are dead easy - and I quite enjoy the process of de-skinning them - but then I usually quite enjoy those mindless, repetitive kitchen tasks. Finally, a bit heap of Parmesan is added and the seasoning adjusted (it’s bound to need to pepper).

It’s basically this recipe - https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10858570

10 Likes

Reminds me of my young family decades ago. We were a real profit generator for Gorton’s. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah - a lazy purchase and not a repeat. Keep trying new products to see if any fish other than salmon generates enthusiasm from the toddler. He takes after @digga’s green onion, I guess?! He previously rejected cod and rockfish either poached in butter or lightly dredged and fried. But he accepted fried breaded halibut at a restaurant recently. Processed food was the next logical step🤣

3 Likes

I would absolutely recommend it, especially if you can get in-season fruit to pair it with, or make a slightly sweetened coulis like we did. You can go fully no bake, but the crust tends to fall apart easier that way. You can make individual servings in cupcake liners, though, and then you don’t have to worry about slicing.

It’s not gelatin-based, rather it gets its structure from whipped cream. However, I am seriously thinking about adding a half teaspoon of gelatin next time to see if I like the texture.

8 Likes

Last night’s din-din, from a food truck. With a side of smoked brisket from another.

15 Likes

While I haven’t bought tilapia since I read about farming practices and nutritional benefit vs other fish, the breaded tilapia fillets at TJ are really good (friend’s kids love them).

I know other folks who use TJ’s breaded cod sticks for tacos, but the coating on those is less crunchy.

It’s interesting that he likes salmon, given that it’s more strongly flavored… I wonder then if he’d like Arctic char or spanish mackerel…

3 Likes

Finishing up those leftovers.

Palak paneer with chickpeas added, an assembly meal from last week when there was no time to cook.

Tasty and filling. The canned chickpeas could have benefited from some pressure cooking, though.

7 Likes

Mrs. P made chicken tostados out of the leftover beer can chicken. We got 3 separate dinner preparations out of that one chicken. The pulled chicken was sautéed in hoisin and soy sauce, fresh garlic, grated ginger, and Chinese 5 Spice. The tostado (which was a heated up tortilla to make it crispy) contained arugula, toasted black sesame seeds, queso fresco, and scallions :yum:

12 Likes

Real nice .

1 Like