What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

I eat kimchi as a side, but you can eat with some Korean style grill meat, chicken, beef or pork, the juice you can use for marinate the meat with other spices.

1 Like

Saregama & Gretchen - you both got me at the mention, respectively, of bacon and pork belly. You’re talking my sort of food.

Both recipes you link to mention gochujang. I think I’m going to struggle to find that locally, even in the shops in Chinatown. Is there are more widely available substitute? I see it’s a chilli paste so was wondering if something like harissa or, even, sriracha would work OK (I am not striving for authentic here, just a tasty dinner). Thanks.

2 Likes

Kimchi is great with eggs. It’s also great on shrimp tacos, which is probably dinner at our house tonight. I’ve made a hot mess of the kitchen with this weekend’s vintage finds I need to clean and price for the store and kimchi shrimp tacos are nice and easy!

3 Likes

I think sriracha more than harissa, not sure you should use as much, just taste as you go.

If your Kimchi is strong, just skip the gochujang.

Do you have miso? Gochujang is like a garlicky spicy-sweet miso. Miso+chilli powder+dash of ketchup would work.

Otherwise add a splash of fish sauce or anchovy paste for an extra layer.

Sriracha is more sour and a different flavor.

6 Likes

Pulled chicken & bacon rashers over a leafy green salad. It’s whats for dinner.

(Cucumbers, from wherever they came, stole the show)

14 Likes

The kids’ openness to healthy food sounds wonderful. I follow Ellyn Satter’s research-based guidelines on the division of responsibility in feeding/eating to avoid creating power struggles or demonizing food. I was raised in a “clean plate club” family and that can really mess with hunger cues and insert parental approval and shame where they don’t belong, IMHO. Dessert is infrequent and not predicated on finishing/eating X amount of the meal. My focus is on praising tasting a variety of foods and being open to new flavors and textures. It takes a looooot of exposure for kids with sensitive palates. We don’t offer many snacks, just enough to take the “hangry” edge off after nap or stretch to lunch during an active morning.

9 Likes

That herby chicken tho…swoon

1 Like

Curious - do you take home a lot of leftovers or just have awesome metabolisms?

4 Likes

Another idea for the kimchi, i made this amazing salad on repeat for a while- perfect if you’re getting good radishes at the farmers market now too. I usually added in more veg and some edamame for more of a meal salad. If you can’t find daikon just use more radishes

1 Like

Beautiful! Tell me about the (dish that looks like) watermelon! Oh wait… That must be tuna tartare.

1 Like

I finally feel like I’m making some progress on this project i need to show Thursday (!). I’ve been craving sushi lately and ordered in last night the “assorted vegan sushi rolls” which included a peanut avocado roll?? Um…what??? Gotta say that was a new one to me! Tasty enough but not sure I’m going to seek it out again. Some edamame and miso soup i made myself on the side

Tonight was Lazy Girl Tofu and more of the asian cucumbers that are on repeat over here. There’s definitely a few dates with almond butter in my near future, found some good medjool ones.

8 Likes

For husband, stuffed celery with apero.
Also for him, Corn salad: fresh corn, red onion, mint, basil, EVOO, Banyuls vinegar.
For me, a repeat of my favorite simple greens.

Shanghai noodles with SPAM! Well, I didn’t have any fresh pork.

Actually, yum.

13 Likes

Mince it and mix solids and juices with sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame seeds, a glug of chili-garlic sauce, some salt, and a little neutral oil. Use to dress a green salad with radishes, borrowed from here: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-kimchi-and-radish-salad-218912

I felt the straight recipe version lacked punch. A squirt of fish sauce is a worthy addition.

2 Likes

We take home a lot of leftovers :slightly_smiling_face: We usually spend Monday and/or Tuesday nights eating leftovers from the weekend. Sometimes I’ll order 3 appetizers so we have more to eat at home. I like to try a lot of different things. Mrs. P usually just eats half of her entree and takes the rest home. I eat about 3/4. Although some of the dinners out might seem expensive, at least we get a couple of dinners out of them. That’s also why you rarely see me post on the WFD thread on a Monday or Tuesday :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you! Yes, the red dish is the tuna tartare. It comes in an excellent citrus ponzu sauce.

1 Like

We used up some of the lingering party crudite in a Chinese/Viet-esque stir-fry with cubed tofu, red peppers, celery, onion, carrot, peanuts, garlic, and ginger over brown rice. I made a brown sauce with chicken broth, Shaoxing wine, potato starch, muhsroom soy sauce, a little hoisin, and kecap manis, ground white pepper, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. The toddler inhaled sauced tofu and buttered rice with some blackberries on the side; it’s possible a few veggies made their way in.

14 Likes

I’ve been wondering exactly this!

Some Korean inspired pork loin and some fresh mozz with basil, balsamic, olive oil and s/p

14 Likes

I love yellowtail jaw!

1 Like