What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

coming late to this, but what a fabulous meal!

1 Like

Super excited about dinner tonight! We have been invited to the friends and family pre-grand opening of the recently restored Formosa Cafe in West Hollywood.

One of the owners is a friend of the man and a few other friends are incredibly talented artists and craftspersons who have worked on it so we’ve seen some sneak peek pictures and Every. Single. Tiny. Detail. has been attended to- I can hardly wait to see it in person! I haven’t been there in 20+ years and it was pretty dive bar by that time (when it was in the movies Swingers and LA Confidential. )

Hoping its OK to take pics tonight!

#theFormosa on instagram for some pics

4 Likes

wow - I haven’t been there in probably longer than that! Can’t wait to see the reveal!

2 Likes

The same restaurant group (1933 Group, Bobby Green Designs) has also done Highland Park Bowl, Tail of the Pup, Big foot Lodge and several others- they’re doing an amazing job of saving iconic LA eateries and watering holes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-1933-bars-20150919-story.html%3FoutputType=amp

2 Likes

Today, I made red braised pork (红烧肉) for lunch. Normally, this is made from pork belly, but I opted to go lighter and use pork back ribs instead.

Keys to a successful red braised pork are…

• Using rock sugar (not granulated sugar) to make a caramel syrup. This contributes the glossy sheen.
  • Pre-blanching the pork to get rid of the raft/scum for a clear sauce.
  • Using a balance of shaoxing wine, dark soy and light soy to make a sauce that has a balance of color and flavor.
  • Including whole spices (cinnamon, star anise) and aromatics (ginger) for depth. Some recipes call for additional spices or aromatics. These are variations on this basic template.
  • Last but not least, taking out the pork at the end and reducing the sauce until it bubbles vigorously and becomes thick. It transforms from a soupy broth to a syrupy, glossy sauce.
18 Likes

We were in a rush before a Yelp event and the intended fish for dinner had not thawed. So I made quinoa “breakfast” bowls with fried egg, chopped crispy bacon, and hot bacon red-onion cider vinaigrette. Really yum!

16 Likes

Fired up the Weber on a glorious late afternoon here in SE Michigan. Chicken Kebobs courtesy of Kroger and its 25% off Service Counter Meats Sale.

Love sitting in the shade sipping on a dry Gin Martini and watching that beast do its magic.

17 Likes

Having a martini , watching the beast do its magic. Absolutely !

2 Likes

I like the way you do camping

3 Likes

Looks absolutely delicious

1 Like

First, for us, of the season’s peaches. Goat cheese, demerama sugar, balsamic.

Rice noodles, repurposed skirt steak

Fired up the wok to get a bit of crust underneath.

15 Likes

Sautéed red and Dino kale with diced onions and garlic with left over smoked brisket

5 Likes

Grilled uncured beef hot dogs with homemade pickled red onions, grain mustard and corn on the cob slathered with garlic parsley butter.

8 Likes

You guys are amazing. I am heading to Nashville for a conference next week. Anybody know whats going on there?

2 Likes

I’m glamping every evening with this beautiful weather. Love your pics.

8 Likes

Just incredible music and food! Think Sean Brock ( from Charleston fame ) has a resto there but I’m not certain. Other than that I have no solid reccos for you, sorry.

3 Likes

Okay, thanks!

I will be at " GAYLORD OPRYLAND RESORT & CONVENTION CENTER" with no car, but have Uber ad Lyft apps. Pretty interesting to me how different those two can be in different cities.

I will post in the approriate sub-forum.

1 Like

Quick spaghetti al limone (lemon zest and juice, parm, salt, pepper, olive oil) and a few basil leaves. Ceaser salad and wine for sides.

17 Likes

Superior meal and presentation. Simply irresistible.

2 Likes

that is gorgeous…

2 Likes