What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

Yummm yes

1 Like

Wow, your camping food was fab. I like the alcohol party.

Did you see any birds? Spotted the book and binoculars…

1 Like

Father’s day dinner was at my sisters. We did ribs, tri-tip, corn, potato green bean salad, and peach tart for dessert.

I remembered to feed my sourdough starter this week so I baked off my first loaf. A few months back I took a class, so I tried to remember what I had learned, and I would say it was a success. Maybe a few more mins in the oven, but the flavor and crumb were nice. We had the first slice slathered in butter.

19 Likes

Beautiful bread, lovely crust and holes. It was made with cast-iron pot?

1 Like

Thanks - we liked it too!

We did! we kept seeing this one black bird with a bright red bib under its neck, and then these two other blackbirds with a big white spot on their chests, the three chasing each other around, but we couldn’t find any of them in the book. The book is some 35 years old, but I’m still not sure why those little guys weren’t in there.

1 Like

:laughing: big WFD camping trip!

3 Likes

Yes - pot preheated in oven at 450 for an hour, then bread goes into the pot with the lid on for 25 mins, then lid off for 15 or so more minutes. When i turned the bread out of the basket into the pot, it was a bit wonky/misshaped, but when I took off the lid, it was a perfect round loaf again.

5 Likes

Heat followed us to the country, and then some. Around 100F.

Time for gaspacho

Cool potato salad

Thai beef salad

Artichoke/potato/oaxacan cheese frittata

14 Likes

Next day, red peppers

Italian sausage and homemade tomato sauced spaghetti

A sloppy apricot tart, thrown together and baked before the heat of the day… that DH loved and said not to change next time!

13 Likes

Finally it dropped to the high '80s.

Salad

and free-form pizza (just homemade tomato sauce, oaxacan cheese, sweet onions and mushrooms)

12 Likes

It was a day off of not getting anything done.

The HVAC company called at 7:30 a.m. to say the technician assigned to service my A/C unit called in sick, and they were so tightly scheduled that no one else could cover his appointments, including mine at 8:00 a.m… :::Sigh::: Yeah, I love getting up at 5:30 in the morning on a day off for no reason.

The medical appt. for my Mom was mis-scheduled by my sister 6 months ago, as best as we can figure out…without any double-checking on either of our parts. It’s supposed to be on Wednesday. :::Sigh::: so it’ll be Groundhog Day for me on Wednesday. Although I won’t have to get up so early.

Driving home from Mom’s was a shitshow. No idea why traffic slowed to almost a stop at 4:00 p.m., other than pre-rush hour traffic. Thankfully I was able to get off the highway several exits before mine, and found back roads.

Dinner. Decided on the way home. Goat Cheese, Prosciutto and Caramelized Onion Pizza from The Salted Cookie blog. Pretty good, although I think I’d mix half the goat cheese and a bit of heavy cream for an actual sauce.

https://www.thesaltedcookie.com/2017/05/goat-cheese-prosciutto-and-carmelized-onion-pizza/

18 Likes

It’s WFD.

15 Likes

Well, at least you had a good dinner. I hate days like that!

1 Like

Seafood korma with baby shrimp and seared scallops. Served with basmati rice and naan.

15 Likes

Last day of school for the kiddo today. Finally. We sat outside and had reverse mint chocolate chip ice cream: chocolate ice cream with mint chips.

10 Likes

That sounds delicious. Is this one of the ice creams you’ve been making?

1 Like

Love your meals . Always well thought. And different every night.

4 Likes

Smoky chicken from our camping trip, with buttery COTC (more butter after the pic was taken, to achieve TPSTOB), the BF’s salad, his Safeway potato salad, and little of the ribs’ balsamic glaze to pour over/dip things into.

18 Likes

Here is a fun math problem for everybody!

Solo parenting this week + work nightmare bomb + leaving for a trip = chaos x infinity

Thank goodness I picked up these chicken sausages with kale and have a fridge of fruit and veggies. Super easy dinner that the kiddo ate with gusto. WINE. Probably too much because I was SLOW on my peloton ride this morning…

9 Likes

Yes. We had leftover chocolate base and came up with this idea.

1 Like