What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

Last dinner for us in June:

Grilled pork chops.

8 Likes

Looks more like a BKT

2 Likes

Started the July thread here:

Jay-zuzzzz… nice!

I appreciate that you didn’t make a “jealous much?” face. Enjoy the feast!

These days I can get imported crabs from various Asian countries but I still like the typical brown ones from around these parts. Got whole crabs once but it was too much work so back to just the claws since. I eat the claws all the time, 10 euros a kilo (about 2,5 lbs).

Turn on the radio, open a beer and take my sweet time.

7 Likes

Right!

Gorgeous, indeed. I only want to eat the thighs but it’s more economical to buy a whole bird. The partner gladly eats the breasts. Chickens (or meat in general) I eat are expensive so I make a bird last and last, minimum 3 meals.

The absolute best.

Usually get this from the market poultry stall.

Most often bought, naturally yellow chicken from France called “poulet jaune”.

PS: @Harters, my health insurance is expensive and dental insurance is separate. :cold_sweat: Now dental practices are allowed to set their own prices.

8 Likes

W/the PSTOB and saaaalt

1 Like

Nice!

How was the hot chicken? And sides?

It was quite an adventure; ordering and paying online, so it would be ready if I could get the Lyft driver to stop there before taking me to the airport, then packing it in my suitcase at the airport, and schlepping it 2500 miles to Minneapolis to Sacramento.

Dark meat

White meat, minus the wings, which is the only white meat I usually like.

Didn’t eat it until then, and it was not at all crispy, but tasty with the perfect heat ( I ordered medium). I got coleslaw, and waffles, which they only have on Sunday. Waffles were not at all crispy either after the long trip in my suitcase, but husband really enjoyed them. Haven’t tried the slaw yet, and most of my trophy chicken is still in the fridge. And some stained clothes in the washing machine.

BTW, a patient of husband gifted him two pineapples from Hawaii, and I will be looking for ideas on another thread.

8 Likes

Those look wonderful even BEFORE they are cooked! How much per pound, and why? I imagine they are treated well, as are the folks who raise them.

I’ve got two fresh pinapples from Hawaii!

2 Likes

Higher welfare French fine poultry are free-range, free of antibiotic and very strictly regulated. They taste good and are worth the price.

If you ever come across Bresse poultry do try it at least once.

3 Likes

So in reality…it was pedestrian, take away ? you did not actually sit and eat it at Hatties B?..

I did not.

Can it be pedestrian if you arrive via Lyft?

The line was wicked, and the experience seemed extremely popular, but was not what I might have looked for, if I had time.

Big Al’s might have been closer to my hotel, but I couldn’t figure it out, and the internet says it’s not open Sunday.

In my defense, the experience I would have wanted, if not take away, would have been Bolton’s or Prince’s.

But I needed to coordinate conference agenda, hotel check out, Lyft, hot chicken, and connecting flights to Sacramento. Hattie B’s made it possible. Good business model.

Turns out my daughter and my sister are headed there shortly, so any hints will be appreciated.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #47 - the Halfway Through The Year Edition - July 2019

grazie!

that is a gorgeous salad…

Last meal for June was another (belated) birthday dinner, a generous treat from a friend who couldn’t be there at the original celebration.

Lovely French meal - gougeres, salmon rillettes, three cheese soufflé, halibut with broccoli nage and spicy chard, and branzino simply grilled with salad. Phew.

The absolute star of the meal, though, was dessert - we opted for two scoops of house made ice cream - chocolate and brown butter. DIVINE. The chocolate was intensely chocolate-y and rich, but not dark or bitter. The brown butter blew my mind - I couldn’t place the flavor memory for a while, and then it hit me - it tasted exactly like indian rasmalai, which are ricotta dumplings soaked in thickened milk, and out of this world when done right. If you haven’t eaten it, my other flavor comparison was fior di latte gelato - but if the purity of flavor was of cream rather than milk.

I’m dreaming of the next time I can eat this ice cream… :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

Stamna is awesome! I love that place.

1 Like