What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

Homemade baked crab cakes on slider rolls with arugula and a garlic-cilantro-lime crema. Served with a side of homemade not baked potato chips and roasted parmesan green beans (not pictured).

12 Likes

or half and half and some butter…salt , pepper…whipped up in the Kitchen Aid mixer

Simple omelet . Eggs from a local farmer . Grilled bread . Made into pan con tomate . Wine to drink . Cheers. :wine_glass:

7 Likes

I put the pizza steel on the middle rack and turn the oven to 475 or 500, as high as the oven goes. Can’t remember the temp exactly but I heat that steel up for at least 45 minutes, usually a full hour before putting the pizza on it.
That said, it took several attempts before I was happy with the pizza. I’ve gotten out of the habit of making pizza. It’s summer. There is a very good pizzeria near me. It’s easier and faster to just get one there.

2 Likes

I don’t bother to switch from bake to broil. The key is not to put too much stuff on the pizza on the first place. My pizzas aren’t round, either. There’s a technique to shaping pizza I haven’t mastered.

1 Like

We ate at Technique in Westwood, NJ for the first time. It is a recently opened classic French restaurant. Below is a link to the details and pictures.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re insane. Or you have the AC cranked up too high! :joy:

BLTs yet again, because BLT! I made a basil/garlicky/mayo for mine, BF wanted his traditional. Bacon was from the farmers’ mkt, and i found a halfway decent heirloom tomato. Corn on the cob with TPST o’butter. Love COTC with BLTs.

Happy Pride, everyone! We’ll be going out later tonight with all the other revelers to enjoy/participate in the spectacle and support the community. Cheers!

14 Likes

Bellissimo.

1 Like

I finally read the links. Thanks!

Conversation at our house yesterday:

ME: “What are we going to do for dinner?”
DW: “Gee, I don’t know. We have a Voila in the freezer…”
ME: “If it’s a chicken dish, we need a Plan B.”
DW: “It’s a chicken dish.”

So after schlubbing around in the refrigerator and pantry, I came up with oven fried bacon & boiled yellow potatoes (finished with TPSTOB). It worked.

12 Likes

Lasagne. Salad. Dinner sorted.

3 Likes

Those look great! So crunchy.

1 Like

Last night we had neighbors over for drinks and snacks. So dinner was just some pork dumplings with homemade dipping sauce.

11 Likes

Yesterday was a long day. Had to say good buy to my dear friend/hairdresser after 30 years since she is moving out of state. It was fun and sad. Lots of snacks and drinks.

Then had had my sister and her family down for burgers, slaw, and beet salad with goat cheese and micro greens.

10 Likes

At Hattie B’s in Nashville!

9 Likes

I would be very sad, too! Nice farewell meal.

My oral hygienist took some time off to have children but thank. gawddd. she returned. In the meantime the dental clinic sent me to one of the employees, who was unpleasant, not her personality but how she worked on me/us. Rushed and painful. Anyway, I shrieked with delight when “my” oral hygienist returned from her hiatus! We always start our session talking about travels and food we eat on holiday. She loves to hear about the places we visit and all the things we experience there. She’s also highly competent professionally. Last year she changed work place and we followed! The new dental clinic is only a few streets away so we could still have her as our oral hygienist.

4 Likes

That’s pretty impressive; following the hygienist and leaving the dental practice!?

Yes, we had to sign some documents and they transferred our clients files to the new practice. This is the standard procedure for ending it officially. Although I was sad to leave my good dentist. Fortunately the new one is OK (so far). It was our first visit at the new practice only last month. I hope she’s not a talker. Maybe because it was our first time seeing her (the new dentist), but she talked a lot.

1 Like

June went out with a bang in my kitchen. I bought a whole prime ribeye subprimal at Costco a couple of weeks ago and it has been wet aging in the fridge. I trimmed it up and cut it into steaks today - ended up with 11 nice fat 16-20 oz steaks, plus a couple of pounds of scraps from the chain meat and a few pounds of fat for grinding. They charge $20+ per pound for trimmed prime ribeye steaks, and I paid $10.99 for this, so more than worth the effort!

My garlic scapes (a puny harvest this year, sadly) were also ready, so I whipped up a quick pesto. Roasted cherry tomatoes, fresh ricotta and Brussels sprouts with garlic chips (sauteed in the beef pan) rounded out the meal. We are fat and happy!

17 Likes