What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

A warm welcome from the eastern side of the Atlantic, Rich.

John

2 Likes

Welcome! Pull up a chair, have a drink and get acquanted!

4 Likes

This.

5 Likes

Chicken kale Caesar, grilled fennel, COTC with the PSTOB.

14 Likes

Terrific.

+1 on the early corn!

2 Likes

I was just going to say I’d never heard of that

but upon googling, it does appear that there are Spanish recipes that do indeed include the flower.

#7 says to incorporate it into your tortilla
 huh! thanks for showing me something new!

1 Like

I loosely based on the NYT recipe. Heat the oven at 210ÂșC / 410ÂșF. slice the cauliflower into 1cm / 0.4" in thickness. In a big salad bowl, mix the olive oil and salt. I added Old Bay as well. Toss the cauliflower and coat evenly. With a flat oven tray coated with aluminium, add the slices without overlapping. Cook for 25-30 minutes. Halfway through, lower the temperature to 190ÂșC / 375ÂșF. Sprinkle with pepper before serving.

5 Likes

Long day.
Mom visit.
She wasn’t doing great today. :frowning:
Then errands.
Then dentist.
Then shopping.
Then haircut.

Not home within a reasonable time to think about a real dinner, so Gorton’s fish filets to the rescue.

Added some chicken stock, dried parsley, tarragon and sour cream to leftover Armenian Rice Pilaf to creamy it up, and had some peas alongside.

Along with some wine. Because I could.

14 Likes

That corn looks SO amazing!

2 Likes

in our house, the two older adults drink coffee before showering. We take coffee and manual drip coffee equipment with us when we travel (I understand that’s now a new thing called “pour over.” ) It’s easier because we drink coffee without any dairy or sugar. But we do understand completely why that first cup needs to be the preferred way!

5 Likes

Thanks! My now-2-yo demolished a whole ear of that corn tonight!!!

8 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Ahhhhh!!! So the Food52 recipe from Maialino is spot on to what they serve, when i lived within walking distance i went to Maialino with some frequency for brunch and they had this as muffins. It was always a must order!

Celebratory dinner tonight! The new kitty, Sky, jumped up onto my lap for the first time! I guess now that we are at the 6-month mark he is feeling the love! Sky will celebrate with his nightly peanut indulgence.

The snuggle fest began just when I was ready to start dinner. I didn’t have the heart to move him so dinner was delayed quite some time. It ended up being the last of the roast beef, sliced thin at room temperature, cornichons, last of the Monterey Jack with celery salt, crackers and red grapes. Dessert was tea and some little crispy puffed Amaretto cookies from Lidl. I’m really into these cookies!

8 Likes

Everything about this meal appeals to me!

1 Like

I really disliked meatloaf as a kid. My mothers recipe was rock hard and drenched in ketchup. Eventually I was exposed to other recipes. Now I love meat loaf and the sandwiches that use up the leftovers! I probably make it 6 times a year and it always hits all the comfort notes.

5 Likes

Last night was a wonderful increasingly rare visit with my bff that was just the two of us once my favorite not yet two year old went to bed. (She’s getting so much taller! And running around everywhere!) Worked out better this week for me to just go to her place than coordinate with her husband and nanny and work calendar to go to a bar.
I was inspired by finding fever tree ginger beer at target of all places- so i made a dark and stormy! And the mint came from her terrace!

She’s still going through a tequila phase and likes this one on ice with lots of lime

We sat outside in the gorgeous evening and ordered in from china blue- hot and sour soup for me, a fish black bean dish for her, and we shared a mushroom dish and pea shoots. No pic, delicious meal!

Tonight i just boiled some veg dumplings (from trader joe’s) and dumped in a bag of stir fry veggies. Side dipping sauce from soy/black vinegar/sesame oil. Good stuff.

13 Likes

Yay for Sky!!

3 Likes

just a freezer pull tonight - gumbo from a couple months ago, and a little salad the BF. made.

12 Likes

Early dinner out at a spanish place by a chef whose other restaurants I adore. Superb meal - croquetas, grilled ramps with romesco, octopus over lima bean romesco, fideua, croquetas, fried artichokes, jeez louise I was about to explode! But just so good, all of it.

Last night was out with another friend for wine and small bites - flat crackers with smoked salmon, creme fraiche, and caviar, and baguette crostini with sautĂ©ed mushrooms and truffle pate. Was still hungry when I got home, so I had some bulgur and lentil kisr made earlier - also some gigantes beans. I think I’m now obsessed with kisr.

10 Likes