What's for Dinner #45 - 05/2019 - The Sunshiny, Flowery & Blooming May Edition

Actually I just copied over your perfect description (Marian Burros and the title of the column) and it popped up!

2 Likes

We threw a birthday bash at a park for our son’s second. The party had a weiner dog theme as an excuse to serve hot dogs. We had grilled Nathan’s dogs, jumbo all-beef dogs from Sam’s Club, Koilbassa smoked all-beef sausages from Texas (by way of Sam’s), and veggie meatless dogs and veggie Italian sausages with all the toppings. We also served veggie baked beans, two vegetable trays with dill dip, guac served with chips and salsa, a big fresh fruit tray of watermelon, strawberries, and blueberries, veggie “straws” (aka junk food) and strawberry shortcake with homemade pound cake. A friend brought a homegrown salad with homemade dressing and my MIL and auntie made bone-shaped sugar cookies.
(Sorry for the weird cropped images, I didn’t want to post pictures of the innocent :wink:)

I’m pooped! Headed to a cookout tonight, so that will be dinner.

21 Likes

The pound cake looks beautiful! That is a terrific idea to use brown paper on the table. Glad you had a pretty day for the big celebration. Best wishes to the birthday boy and proud Mom & Dad!

6 Likes

Thank you!
Fortunately it all came together really well and the weather was awesome!

3 Likes

Wow! My mom has your pot!! She has a red one.

2 Likes

New thread for June is here.

Gorgeous! Happy birthday to the kiddo!! Sounds like the perfect menu for a crowd too.

3 Likes

I got mine from my parents, 1960s-70s?

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

I went to junior high in High Point, NC, and high school in Asheboro, NC. Didn’t eat my first bagel until my sophomore year in college in Boston area, around 1975! We had fritos and canned bean dip, nothing remotely “Mexican”, and I remember making a chicken cacciatore recipe from a Better Homes and Gardens recipe around 1973. It was truly exotic.

3 Likes

beautiful! lots of work and effort, too.

1 Like

Yes, glad it came together and is over! Thank you :slight_smile:

Last night at friends’ home we were treated to a home-cooked Spanish dinner. I brought conservas (little clams, razor clams) brought back from Barcelona, French bread, cultured butter, a couple of Spanish cheeses, fried dried favas, sweet vermouth for a cocktail, and two bottles of cava. The boys served an amazing dinner of the best arroz con pollo i’ve ever had, clams in wine and garlic, and a salad of ventresca, green beans, hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes, with a wonderful dressing of aged sherry vinegar, smoked paprika and evoo. Everything was delicious. Friend is a terrific cook, instinctually, and his hubby kept our glasses very full all night. Host also made a yummy, fruit-filled sangria, and we killed a bottle or two of rioja. The hangover today was worth it.

Lunch at my sister’s was slices of a pork shoulder studded with garlic she spit roasted, with my sauce of soy, white vinegar, grated ginger and garlic, and sweet chili sauce. We eat it right on the top of the stove, with a knife and our fingers. My sister has dubbed it Pigs with Knives. :smiley:

Tonight was a freezer-pull of chicken/shrooms/peppers and bucatini, and a side of steamed/pan-fried broccolini with crunchy, buttery, toasted breadcrumbs. very needed comfort food.

a little hair of the dog coming up next.

16 Likes

Freezer pull and hair of the dog are words of the future.

2 Likes

Always something we buy at the Carrefour in Calais before getting the ferry. Along with jars of “pot jevleesh”.

1 Like

Wowza

2 Likes

“Wowza”

No kidding!

2 Likes

My normal supermarket stocks habas fritos. They are so damned addictive they should be illegal.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=44&productId=1226192&gclid=CjwKCAjw583nBRBwEiwA7MKvoKCPNnYrlUFYY6eOsc-B6v4LFvbQOBITCLX-ANazJBCBnv7Aj0zamxoC4KMQAvD_BwE&storeId=10151&krypto=xBEH8bJepEB5Ysk1mR5gws5gxAbxBQcgXSN7BzdkdLVfl79U1vRzkkJeWQw2OF9hOxUPlDorUfNyhv2rH57BML8Ks%2Bwa0AVDl%2BQow%2BI44Kk%2Fo14dR48EG%2FX9ycZASbNbhCPZJQtV2kgAtVz%2Fza6WtjeeKAk559q9PZFEHKVNJXJ1uX1dq%2BbXjgRpJ939lMGGWkpFB%2FvqZndsiiaQWZ0EZ0fkFBlde97WJNd8JDRX2pLNuHIMnRQPk74r9ve7X9SykesI7zuVg8Ys%2BC%2FRxT8LgxrqWeBGK%2B1QNex2LRaz3mVGXudbBZSbmpxNvHQvYv8EtmaABKJs3iiii5koo7ku2308QaxkfTvkYsnMrs2D2Cc%3D

3 Likes

I wonder if your son is my birthday twin!

Nope, we celebrated a week late :slight_smile:

But happy birthday!

1 Like