What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

Actually, I never store eggs in fridge. I don’t know if there is any difference in freshness, anyway I never have rotten eggs. But many preparation you need room temperature eggs.

Your omelette must taste heavenly with all the freshness!

1 Like

Tried Alton Brown’s Molasses and Coffee Pork Chops, thanks to @ChristinaM 's suggestion. I used maple syrup instead. Marinated for 4 hours. Husband liked it. Was good, maybe will fine tune a bit the salt / sugar level, but a keeper!

Yesterday was a regular chez naf - Pho Bo with whatever herbs.

And some fig bars, well to finish off the bag of dried figs…

12 Likes

Nice grill marks on the chop NAF!..Did you use a grill pan or a grill?

1 Like

Cast iron grill pan.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to taste Red Tail Perch, but not yet lucky enough to hook any. When we saw these super healthy and lively specimens finning in a tank, we jumped on them. Simply baked with scallions and ginger, a little oil and s&p. Not purty, but sweet and delicious. Not much better than fish fresh out of the water and onto dinner plate within two hours.

This fish shop had just reopened on San Francisco Stockton st after it was burnt out of its previous location on Pacific Ave.

Geoduck, King Crab, Red Rockfish, Razor Clams and Dungies.

Salmon, Black Cod (Sablefish), Oysters, Clams, Flounder (live), Ridgeback Shrimp. Some fresh (not live) fish, Salmon, Ling Cod, Halibut and more.

We also bought 3 frogs, which will be simply pan fried tonight.

12 Likes

Made a throw together fridge clean out chowder last night. Bacon, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, cauliflower, corn and 1% milk. Served with a warm baguette. Tasty & ample wine for the cook.

7 Likes

A lazy “celebratory” dinner since we finally got the feral mama cat trapped and to the vet this morning to be spayed. Lazy because I’m sooooooo tired from getting up in the middle of the night to feed kittens.
Super easy steak and shrimp skewers on the grill, probably some sliced zucchini, too. I can sit on the porch and kick my feet up with a cocktail or glass of wine while I wait for the charcoal to be ready- it’s a GORGEOUS blue skied Southern California spring day.

9 Likes

Envious of your weather. Know what you mean about baby animals. I’ve got my kitten who’s getting pretty big, my daughter’s adult Boston Terrier & her baby Boston Terrier. So it is a zoo around here & the animals are running it. Think I’m getting too old to be raising infant animals. Forgot how much work they are.

To keep this about food & cooking the adult Boston gets a supplement wrapped up in charcuterie every night as an appetizer. Only way he will take it. Lucky dog!

3 Likes

I was given some Welsh smoked cheddar cheese for Christmas. I like smoked foods but have never really liked smoked cheese all that much. I decided the best way to use it was in a cheese sauce . I served this poured over leeks that had been sauteed with a little butter and I added a splash of water so they part steamed. Served with pork steak and roast cauliflower. Roasting the cauliflower and serving with a cheese sauce meant the best of both worlds, roast cauliflower & cauliflower cheese.

17 Likes

Beeeeautiful. The only time I like cauli is roasted and with cheese.

In Lyon there’s a dish in which a steak swims in a sea of melted St. Macellin cheese.

2 Likes

Oven broiled bone in pork chops with the first Asparagus of the season…

13 Likes

Sounds like the Boston has you well trained. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL it’s true!

Got home a bit late last night but snacky things with drinks didn’t really cut it for me. I really just wanted peanut buttery sauce. Mixed pb with soy sauce, black vinegar, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar and had some veggies to scoop it all up

Picked up the plate lunch combo from the hippie vegan rastafarian cafe, it’s a ton of food- there’s a thick layer of red rice and black rice and stewed chickpeas under the broccoli squash and mushrooms. Those mushrooms!! Crazy delicious. Leftovers from lunch were dinner- only i had the genius idea to add sesame crunchy sticks ;))

Also risked a $4 impulse buy mini watermelon from the street veg cart guy, wasn’t the sweetest one but certainly better than I expected. So a lot of that was the other half of dinner.

11 Likes

A while back I divided a large Costco pork tenderloin into more manageable cuts and froze. About half ended up in 1 1/2" medallions. Defrosted a package the other day which held four. Huh? Then I remembered having to combine two pairs into one food saver bag since it was at the end of the roll!

Tonight’s dinner consisted of 2 medallions pan fried with seasoned panko - used this as a guide, subbed Penzeys Fox Point for the fresh herbs, skipped the onions. Popped the pork into the oven to finish, wiped out excess oil and replaced it with a little bacon grease and cooked thinly sliced Brussels sprouts seasoned with hot pepper blend (Pirates Bite). The bits of crispy panko left in the pan added a nice touch to the sprouts! Mashed potatoes and gravy (unused side order from Popeye’s) on the side. Nice, easy and very tasty for minimal effort!

Dinners with the other pair of medallions had baked sweet potato and steamed broccoli with PSTB as sides. The pork was baked with a mishmash sauce of mustard (Aldi’s Dijon that has a nice kick), agave, a little water, and some bottled duck sauce left from my misguided frozen eggroll craving a few weeks ago. The sauce played well with the sweet potato.

Two medallions per meal = a second nights repeat!

When I arrived home from Florida last week I was exhausted. 12 hours drive became 15 due to weather, road work, and accidents which forced traffic down to single lanes for miles. A new Popeyes chicken opened and I spotted a nice coupon while looking over my mail. The 5 pieces, 2 sides dinner for $8 stretched to cover several meals. A goof-up on my order resulted in an extra side and a dessert thrown in as an apology.

The Circus Cat began purring loudly as soon as we entered the house. The newbie, Skylar, took about an hour to settle down. By the next day, he was back to normal. Their adventure at the boarding facility seems to have brought them closer. Which is quite good as I would like to be released from being the Circus Cat’s emotional support animal!

It is very, very good to be home!

15 Likes

I roasted it as you see it. Breast up so the skin would crisp. All and all it was okay, but for the investment in time to debone it intact (I’m not Jacque Pepin) it could have been better. But the leftovers are going to make a nice chicken salad tomorrow

Braised beef short ribs . With carrots , onion , and potato . Wine to drink , cheers.

13 Likes

In the US, store-bought eggs are cleaned/washed and the protective coating is lost, that’s why they have to be stored in the fridge. Not the case elsewhere.

5 Likes

Yes I do recall that fact, as my father told me many years ago. (My grandparents were egg farmers during the 1930’s & 40’s in Lakewood New Jersey.) For obvious sanitary reasons, the commercially produced eggs form “egg factories” are now processed that way.

Yeah, mass production eggs, I read they are covered with “slime”… with their overpopulation.