What's for Dinner #44 - 04/2019 - the April Flowers but no Showers Edition

THAT STEAK AND THOSE SHROOMS!!! :heart:

1 Like

I agree, it’s too peppery. I am still looking for an all-natural replacement.

O.M.G. yum!!!

1 Like

:blush:
Finishing for lunch with these sugar snaps. IMG_20190412_141923

But that’s not dinner. Back later.

8 Likes

Still trying to avoid shopping and use what we have! Tonight’s mad scientist experiment will involve shrimp and rice. I’m going to use the remaining blood oranges and cara caras with honey and chili flakes from last weeks pizza delivery to whip up some kind of sauce. Looks like we have celery, carrots and cauliflower too. :+1:

5 Likes

Mrs. P made a medium rare burger, (without the bun), covered in a spicy Cajun dry rub, and topped with blue cheese and sautéed onions. We had sweet potato fries and blistered shishito and mini peppers on the side. It went perfectly with a 2013 Melipal Malbec blend.

13 Likes

Delicious as usual. Curious, has Mrs P worked in a professional kitchen before?

5 Likes

Lord have mercy :woozy_face:

5 Likes

I made smoked Korean meatloaf (must repeat!), Sichuan-style baby bok choy with peanuts, and leftover soba noodle salad. Rosé. Hubs is back! And he brought macarons.

13 Likes

Recipe please!

Yes please! :yum:

1 Like

Not very exacting…here are my notes/best guess:

Organic 85/15 ground beef - 1.25 lbs.

Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 c.

Whole milk - 1/4 c.

Scallions - 4-5 roughly chopped

Ginger - 2 tbsp minced

Cilantro - 3 tbsp roughly chopped

Garlic - 6 cloves minced

Sesame oil - 1 tsp

David Chang’s Ssam sauce - 1-2 tbsp

Sweet soy (kecap manis) - 1 tbsp

Soy sauce - 2 tsp

White pepper - pinch

Egg white - 3 tbsp.

Salt - 1 tsp.

Topping:

Ketchup - 3 tbsp.

Sriracha sauce - 1 tsp.

BBQ sauce - 1 tbsp.

Sweet soy - 1 tbsp.

Combine milk and breadcrumbs in large bowl. In a mini chopper/FP finely chop the aromatics. Stir into the breadcrumb mixture and add all seasonings, beef, and egg white. Mix well. Form into a loaf on a piece of oiled foil.

Top with mixture of ketchup, sweet soy, Sriracha, and barbecue sauce.

Smoke around 325-350F for 1.5 hrs.

5 Likes

Thanks.

Will wait for the bbq season… to try this out! Need to use the grill as smoker.

Early Friday has meant tinkering and snacking. I had marinated a salmon fillet in a sorta-saikyo miso brine as it defrosted, but that may be tomorrow’s dinner after all.

Chawanmushi early to ward off hunger - horrible looking because I blended the egg by mistake while on the phone, and those bubbles don’t look pretty. But it tasted good (I added some mushroom powder) and the texture was exactly as I like it, so I scraped the bubbles off and ate them first (we really do eat with our eyes first :roll_eyes:).

Zucchini chips (in the microwave) with chile lime salt and harissa yogurt to dip.

Then I decided to make Vietnamese-ish lemongrass meatballs for Sunday - going to a friend’s to see the Game of Thrones final season premier. That mixture built up slowly as I kept thinking of things to add to make it taste more like cha gio, which I am currently obsessed with (recall the family-size portion I bought at a Vietnamese market a few weeks ago and worked my way through… and last night I had to cross the road not to buy some on my walk home).

Of course, that reminded me of a new acquisition from the same market - rice paper trays “for my mom” :joy:.

So, I tried making a cha gio… not bad for a first try. But, dangerous. Now I have to make the mixture into meatballs quickly so I don’t fry any more spring rolls!

16 Likes

Thank you @naf ! No, Mrs. P is self taught. Her mother was a lousy cook :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

My favorite burger combination … she nailed the bleu cheese “melt”, perfect, most restaurants don’t get it right! EDIT: In addition to the perfection of the rest of the rest of the burger and plate.

5 Likes

Making Chicken Scarpariello with Sausage and Peppers

I usually make Lidia’s Italian American recipe; the one without potatoes, but what the heck! Carbs be damned!
Roasting potatoes and sausage.

Chicken,

Potatoes on the side.

15 Likes

Thank you @chowdom :blush:

2 Likes

Life is too short to skip the potatoes. (And they actually have a lot of nutrients!)
Those look SO good!!

4 Likes

I made the lentil coconut curry soup that @Saregama has been so in love with yesterday, and although i modified it a bit to what was on hand (biggest change was using yellow curry paste and skipping the chili flakes. I’m wimpy!) and i pureed it with my immersion blender.
And i get it. This is absolutely the best lentil soup i have had in a very very long time. I prettied up my mug of it with some fancy black salt and cilantro

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-lentil-tomato-and-coconut-soup?intcid=inline_amp&_gl=1mzopkp_ga*YW1wLVYzbWdwTE1ueWl3eUdIODhHX1lYN3ppMkdBOUM0blhmdFdZMmE0S1BWY1p6TXZzOGY5VlhCZUh0dWJDUHhfSFQ.

Side of green beans from the produce box, when they’re so fresh i don’t like to mess with them much- steamed and then topped with seasoning salt and some nutritional yeast

There’s one of the little apples left, which i’ll definitely have tonight as a peanut butter delivery device.

13 Likes

That what I feel like eating!

1 Like