What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

It’s not only that. The era of Mom and Pop stores has basically ended. It’s hard to compete against the giants. And if the children have other professions, the store closes when the parents have had enough.

2 Likes

Frankly I find this horrifying, depressing and ruinous … it takes my breath away ( melodramatic but true)

2 Likes

I am in complete agreement. But what can we do? If a store closes, it closes.

1 Like

Bought one for my nina….1 ++mil stupid on my part…but anything for my kids!!! At least they are putting to good use for the 6 figure education I paid for!!!

About to go into the oven for tomorrow…braise of short ribs with red wine, celery, green pepper, carrots, onion, garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, EVOO.

9 Likes

Today is our anniversary so we ordered takeout from Don Pepe ll Seafood restaurant. We ordered twin stuffed lobsters with crabmeat, shrimp, and scallops, avocado stuffed with the same seafood, and antipasti. There were also some excellent crispy homemade chips that I didn’t take a picture of. Our friend had gifted us with a 2014 Winsdor Vineyards Napa red blend with a customized label made for them. They own a couple of horses if you are wondering about the meaning of the customized label.

16 Likes

WOW…love the selection of food…
And of course Happy Anniversary!!! Enjoy the evening!

Thanks @PHREDDY ! I appreciate it.

Nothing especially newsworthy here…
Salad with cucumbers and olives and the rest of the carrot edamame salad from last night

Side of avocado with a little soy and spiced salt, so ripe i squished it a bit trying to twist it apart to get out the pit

7 Likes

Yes! With ceviche and some hot sauce in a squeeze dropper thingy. Good times. Will hang out again in Turkey this fall.

1 Like

Spaghetti. With Italian Sausage & fresh button mushrooms in red gravy. Hearty (Spring temps are not cooperating here in the upper midwest) and tasty.

13 Likes

First grilled pizza of the year. Sadly, I’m out of practice and burned the bottom and didn’t get the cheese fully melted. Better luck next time. I had mine with grilled asparagus, sauteed mushrooms and onions and olives. Husband had sausage, green pepper, onion and olives. Baby had none…

14 Likes

I was referring or responding rather, to the much “bigger picture”

All we can really do is try to patronize our local brick & mortar businesses. Everytime we “click” and order on line we are chiseling away at these places. In doing so we are creating and fertilizing the system which ultimately will decrease our choices.

8 Likes

I’m guessing you’ve seen Traci Des Jardins to close Jardiniere next month

1 Like

Those cookie cutter condos are everywhere

1 Like

We had some homemade gumbo tonight, that Mrs. P (who is from New Orleans), had previously made at the beginning of the year. She had made enough for over 10 dinners and froze them in little containers. The original batch wasn’t as thick so she doctored it up tonight with some duck fat, flour, and Cajun spices to make it thicker & spicier. Below is a link to the original posting with pictures when it was made.

13 Likes

Happy anniversary! Now that’s what I call a celebration meal!

1 Like

Thank you very much @Saregama !

you’re probably right, and I hate the thought of this, but at least in my neighborhood there are between 10-15 family-owned little grocery stores within 5-8 blocks of us. and they’re all well-utilized! But, so is ours, and it doesn’t really matter if the owner of the building can sell it for millions to some condo developer.

2 Likes