What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

One of my favorite places! I used to launch my Hobie Cat from the causeway and head out. Would always picnic on Caladesi. Nice to remember on a grey rainy day.

1 Like

When I wrote that I was going to try that sauce, I meant that I would try it with duck breast. But tonight we had tuna sashimi and chicken nuggets, so we tried it with both of them. My wife and I and our guest all liked it very much.

1 Like

Well, with retirement you’d have more time for juggling two women! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Haha, one if I want to see tomorrow

5 Likes

A theme of weekend dinners. Friday night was gyros (TJ’s, not homemade) with lettuce, herbed feta, and tatziki. Side was sauteed onion and squash.

Saturday was ground chicken kabobs with all the sides (pita, dolmas, pickles, cucumber salad, feta, and tatziki).

14 Likes

Georgian chicken braised with pomegranate, seared mushrooms, and a salad with walnut dressing. Good but probably not a repeat.

10 Likes

You would never guess from the photo. The sauce is gorgeous!

I could see beef being better!

I was looking for a good price on corned beef but it seems too early for my markets. Did find a great price on brisket (again) and couldn’t pass it by. This time I’m pulling from two recipes I’ve liked. I’m cooking it lower/longer than last time. Should be good leftovers for hot open faced sandwiches with the upcoming cold blast of winter.

4 Likes

Kofte, gigantes bean salad, marinated tomatoes and onions, naan, and adjika.

17 Likes

Good visit with Mom today - she had a full house with me, my sister, my stepbrother, his wife, and their dog. She was laughing up a storm at our antics. Loved to hear her laughter. :heart:

Dinner was pomegranate-mustard pork tenderloin, mashed maple-ginger sweet potatoes & steamed green beans. Wine alongside.

Waiting to see what the overnight brings with the incoming storm. Expecting anywhere from 7-12" overnight. Might be a Work From Home day tomorrow.

18 Likes

A true labor of love!

It does. I start a scored duck breast in a cold skillet and let them come up to temp together. I sear it for about 10 minutes, maybe a bit more, then flip for 1 minute. It then goes into a 350°F. oven in a separate pan for 5-7 minutes until it registers about 140° on an instant read thermometer. Let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing it.

How high do you bring up the heat on the skillet?

The rocks are back on the beach since the last tropical storm. In many areas on the southern 1/3 it’s like the moon and that’s being nice. I haven’t been back except maybe once since the last big storm and I think there are more rocks now

1 Like

Mom visit sounds wonderful :))
Your sweet potatoes and pomegranate are so festive looking!

3 Likes

I am glad you like it with Tuna sashimi and chicken nuggets. Those are two items we do not use them for. Son returned home last night after a month away. I had cooked a big pot of Chile ( cannot eat beef bec of allergy) , so he had that for late snack , lunch and early dinner. Now, we are having asparagus roasted asparagus for 8 minutes with parmesan cheese and Chicken nuggets ( still jet lagged no cooking just sleep and food ). I bought these from Costco last month but there was a recall, so, am having them again tonight (Tyson’s panko chicken nuggets.) with replacements. I guess he will have them with usual hot Frank’s hot wing sauce.
In reply a few days ago to nap re different kind of soy sauce, I told her that when it comes to sashimi, I prefer lighter soy sauce with wasabi
but for a change sometimes, I like to use Kikkoman’s Ponzu citrus seasoning and sauce with a small amount of yuzu kosho ( both red and green) if you like to be adventurous. .The Yuzu Kosho are very salty so be very careful esp when adding that to soy sauce.
https://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/trends-news/article/yuzu-kosho-recipe

4 Likes

I had everything on hand to make a carrot coconut milk soup, actually the same one @Saregama made a few days ago only mine wasn’t as pretty! Onions sautéed in coconut oil, carrots, lemongrass, ginger, coconut milk etc. I ended up adding a can of drained white beans when blending so it would be more of a meal soup

Kombucha a la carte.
Probably going to dates and nut butter with tea for dessert, taking an intermission from the chocolate for the moment

12 Likes

Chicken kabobs looks delicious.

Did you make those dolmas, if yes recipe please!

That’s great, must brighten her day.

3 Likes