What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Yes! I saw a woman in Aldi’s buying 5 gallons of milk today.

1 Like

Been flickering a lit so far with icy rain

1 Like

Last night we made chapli kabob and naan. Today, everyone wants roast chicken.

9 Likes

Cream of broccoli soup

Pot Roast

Pan fried white potato (par cooked to be fried before serving)

Oven roasted zucchini

Red Malbec with the beef .
Comfort food on this chilly Sunday eve in NYC with kids and grandchildren.

12 Likes

A complete strikeout on a holiday party outfit after visits to 4 different stores. So I’ll shop from my closet for Friday’s gathering.

Then a surprising finish to the Patriots/Dolphins game. There was no squishing the Fish today. Miami caught the Pats off guard, and kudos to them. But damn them.

Dinner was planned on the way back from the Rockingham Mall: sauteed chicken, roasted broccoli and chopped prosciutto with an herbed cheese sauce pizza.

Marinated carrot, radish, and cuke salad alongside. There was wine.

10 Likes

The nightly news tonight showed the shelves are all bare…so I guess Raleigh has adopted the French Toast method of shopping as those of us in Boston do. :smiley: But I much MUCH prefer your method of French Toasting, @Madrid. :+1:

4 Likes

Roast chicken with root vegetables (garlic, carrot, sweet potatoes, potatoes.) Plated over bread with plenty of juices to soak in. Seasonings included paprika, fennel, and cumin. A few thyme sprigs in the cavity.

13 Likes

You are so brave to shop stores on the weekend so close to christmas! Not sure what you had in mind but plenty of options online (check amazon) could get to you by friday.
Gorgeous pizza! And those pickled veg sound like the perfect side too.

Worked a few hours yesterday and decided to come back to nyc for like 36hrs. Just hanging out in the house i stay in or exploring philly didn’t sound like either would let me really unplug and recharge life energy. Got on the train and slept the whole way back! Glad i woke up in time for nyc stop, the train continues all the way to Boston.
Nothing worthwhile in the fridge and zero chance i wanted to leave my apt once home last night.
Ordered in a delicious coconut milk mushroom tofu thai soup, side of steamed green beans that made me very happy, and some sticky rice which came in plastic wrap as a patty in the waxed paper sleeve. Too funny. The rice and soup landed in the same bowl after the photo. Just added a bit of salt to the green beans.

Chill day today sleeping late and a few errands in the neighborhood. I really wanted my own regular big ass salad for dinner! This one had salad greens, the rest of the bean sprouts (i did a tofu stir fry with lots of bean sprouts for brunch/lunch), cucumber, olives, sunflower seeds, and bell pepper. Also a few handfuls of these great crunchy edamame that I ordered for desk and travel snacks- not easy to find this specific kind in stores. They’re not as rock hard as regular dry roasted edamame if that makes sense.

Mug of hot miso broth a la carte. Stupid early train back tomorrow morning back to the craziness…

10 Likes

2nd cold in 3 weeks - Grrr! Comfort food for dinner was needed, and I’d already planned this meal. My week old kimchi was spicy, very gingery - perfect for kimchi fried rice. added a scrambled egg, scallions, drizzle of sriracha. I had little pork cutlets in the freezer so made tonkatsu, with rice flour and panko crumbs. Nothing better than crunchy fried pork. With a little okonomiyaki sauce, they were heavenly.

If anyone’s interested, my new blog post is up about NOLA. be warned, not all about food…

12 Likes

Dinner tonight was a sweet potato/ black bean bowl. Sweet potato was baked, skinned and cubed. Canned black beans heated with bay leaf and a little water. Onion sauteed then spinach stirred in until wilted. A packet of tinga de pollo ( grocery refrigerated mark down) was heated. Bowl composed and garnished with sour cream and cilantro.

Tasty, easy with minimal effort - just what I was looking for.

Rant: Why don’t all manufacturers note the wattage of the microwave their product was tested in. Then you can increase or decrease as needed. Had my first microwave explosion in years…:weary:

Eight inches of snow then it switched to rain. Everything is a slushy mess which will freeze overnight. Glad I won’t be driving in the morning!

10 Likes

Ugh - hope you didn’t burn yourself. Microwave messes are such a pain to clean up!

2 Likes

Dinner ended up at friends’ after an extended afternoon hang. We finished cooking the biryani one of them had started earlier in the week, such delicious comfort food for a cold night.

Earlier in the day I had made a small, deep quiche so I could take them some - I didn’t have any of my usual mix-ins, so I caramelized onions and used them. I also started using some of the cabbage I double-purchased - made a savory cake that’s a regional indian recipe, and I took them half of that too.

15 Likes

I too just got over my 2nd cold in the last month…and I am about 3000 miles from you… and this was very unusual for me…

Looks like you need some vitamin boost. Get well soon.

1 Like

No luck that I can make this for dinner, husband dislike both, especially bean. I will try this for lunch when I’m alone. :yum:

3 Likes

Good luck. Hope you have plenty of wine to weather the storm!!!

1 Like

Safety to all weathering the latest snowstorm!
-Rooster

3 Likes

Several of last week’s dinners were couscous. The base of stew was made with beef brisket, ox tail and bone marrow with turnips, zucchinis, 1 small squash, carrots, leeks, onion, garlic, no celery, but I added celery salt, Ras el hanout (red mix), cumin, coriander seeds and concentrated tomato paste. Ate with merguez, raisin, harissa and chickpeas.

14 Likes

OMG…Sitting here eating breakfast. that looks so delicious!
What kind of wurst is that on the side of the plate?

1 Like