What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Am by myself, speed control on fantech’s kitchen fan failed, am waiting for replacement to arrive. Until then, minimal cooking to avoid grease all over.

So, dinner was maple farm duck leg cooked using turbo broiler, ( shows a few potatoes) using soy sauce, garlic, vinegar dip, and made a quiche using a cup of sliced hearts of palm, , a cup of gruyere cheese, 4 eggs, 2 cups of cream S/P. Taste good but as usual, the crust got burnt. I am looking for something to cover the crust but reviews for silicone adjustable and non adjustable protector claimed that foil is still best. Just cannot get foil to stay in place. Any one who can advise me on what to get? of course my pie plates are those with handles and my quiche plates are larger.

9 Likes

The first cat I knew was Siamese, too…I was four years old and we were visiting my mother’s sister who had two Siamese kittens. Within 2 hours my eyes swelled so badly I couldn’t see. I was taken to a doctor who was open on Saturday, who called in the entire medical building to see my swollen eyes. Turns out I am allergic to cats, especially Siamese. I ended up quasi adopting my neighbor’s cat when I was in my 30’s…her saliva somehow didn’t have that allergenic property and she stayed for occasional sleepovers and ate breakfast at my in-law apartment attached to the main house every day. I still miss her terribly. Her name was Annie and she talked a lot…but was also really good at staring at the refrigerator when she knew canned crab was there for her, and at the wall heater when she was cold. Tell Circus Cat I know he has lots of wisdom, too, despite his youthful appearance!

4 Likes

Meal was Duck and bouchées à la reine (I tried to look up, but couldn’t find an English translation) with seafood.

Seafood gratin with béchamel sauce for my husband, same seafood was used in the bouchées.

The excellent potato cheese tart (coulommiers is used).

Sided with steamed sweet potato.
And a glass of champagne.

21 Likes

ccj, I really wanted to like the silicone crust protector, but the crust seemed almost darker when I used it. I’m back to foil.

thanks. I used aluminum but it became messy and still burnt my crust.
I guess until something better comes around, aluminum hopefully will do.

That’s where the oven comes in handy

Most of the time, I use baking paper, sometimes foil. Like baking paper more.

It is one of the best fan, very quiet, but powerful. We have one that is huge, 48 inches wide.
After 6 years, the aluminum filters that I had to reorder were 1/2/3 inches shorter, so they would not fit
Waited and waited for new supply to come in
Understood 500 people were screaming for their filters
I finally ordered custom SS baffle filters, what a relief!! No more problem ordering aluminum filters and it will last me my life time but now, no speed control.
Do not know what to order until the company opened up yesterday
will send me one gratis on Jan 3rd bec they sold me all those wrong sized filters 2 and 4 years ago and I do not want to throw them away but I do not know who has such huge exhaust fans as mine to give away since I now have the SS baffle (I was the one who told them how and where I ordered them. They now sell those SS baffle with their units.
So, I am trying not to cook as much as possible.
Oven cannot sear, stir fry
Everything is breaking down it seems

you’re welcome!

what I really want to do is make this next time:

4 Likes

Guest from Netherland returning home tomorrow
So, she offered to cook dinner tonight
Spaghetti alla puttanesca
we added small amount of D’artagnan’s duck saucisson to my dish . They had the wild boar saucisson added to theirs as I cannot have red meat.
I am just uploading my dish as they all look the same

9 Likes

oh my, what a spread! fabuloso!

2 Likes

that duck looks amazing…

I tried that! There’s a thread here somewhere.

Found it!

I’m making salt cod poached/cured in olive oil tonight. Not much to look at, but here’s a comparison of two brands/recipes in sous vide bags.

I might try this, but I need to make just one or two servings.

Olive oil cured cod with tomato panade

7 Likes

ooh, thanks for pointing me to that thread! when i make it, i’ll be sure to post there.

love the poached salt cod idea!

1 Like

BF in the kitchen tonight. Simples, but tasty. Merguez sausage (not his fave, but it’s what i defrosted) and baked taters with extra sour cream. also a green salad with TJ’s blue cheese dressing.

merguez%20and%20baked2

13 Likes

Late lunch with mom and her favorite mexican spot- they make the best corn tortillas i have had ever, although they didn’t make my pictures.
Vegetarian tostada for me with delicious refried beans, gave mom my sour cream. Had a still warm corn tortilla as is, the fried one under the tostada hurts my tummy so i left it. She gets the carne asada tacos every.single.time. Leftovers had already been packed up, but you can imagine tacos were here ;))

Just some snacky bits tonight, mom had a leftover taco and i went with sugar snap peas in hummus and a big bowl of popcorn while we decided which movie to watch. (American hussler -hussle? Is what we went with)

I’ll have a tiny bit of fudge, although it did not love me back last night maybe just one little piece will be ok. (Definitely had more than one yesterday!)

12 Likes

And gratuitous napping Jaggers photo for the fans :heart_eyes:

14 Likes

All this fudge talk has me craving clotted cream fudge. I made it once many years ago and it was great. Hopefully I get time this weekend.

Tonight I had a grilled cheese sandwich and I used Trader Joe’s new mushroom (umami) seasoning to make ramen noodles like the ones that come in a block with seasoning packets.

3 Likes

If you have access to say Jetro/Restaurant Depot, they do carry varying grades of aluminum foil. I by a heavy foil, just for that purpose. the heavier the eaiser it stays in mold in the oven. After all when you heat up metal it does expand , and will loosen up and not hold its’ shape.
Try a heavier gauge foil.

1 Like

thanks. I have heavier foil but only use that for wrapping my smoked food , then tons of towels to place in cambrio until ready to serve. That technique keeps the food warm for 4-6 hours. Enclose pic , is this heavy enough?

I will try that next time, never used it for this purpose. Makes Sense, heavier ones is easier to mold. May I ask one more question ? How do you go around wrapping the foil around the edge of the pie? cut a long strip , go around or cut shorter strips and then lay it from the inside of the pie to the edge and down the bottom? ( I do not know if I are sense) ?
Have not been making pies or quiche for centuries as my husband had gluten enteropathy and so, I often made crustless pies or quiche for him bec I could never find a good recipe that made it worth my while ( different flour, adding cream cheese ) unless I make a nut crust with butter.
thanks