What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

I watch him make that on a tv food show. I was like damn, that’s a shit ton of butter. Then had to try to make it at home. Once.

2 Likes

I’m still having a exorcism from it .

2 Likes

Was it worth it?

Remember the skit from Saturday night live . DA BEARS with Chris Farley giving himself CPR at the table . It was kinda like that .

5 Likes

Okie Dokie…I think I can take a pass on that experience. Appreciate you taking one for the team!

1 Like

Ohhh I have friends who have had delivery resent for this… it’s just wrong when eggs/meat/fish makes it into a vegetarian order. But that’s in nyc where delivery is king.

1 Like

So what’d you think of the potatoes? I adore butter, but it looks overwhelmingly rich to me. I think I’d rather have slightly less buttery potatoes, and more of them.

1 Like

Excellent tips here and in your other comment. Thank you! I will look for that quick cook barley. I really liked the texture and having another grain to fiddle around with. I want do use this in the summer as the base for a cold salad with a lovely herby vinaigrette.

1 Like

My aunts live in Rockville. I’ll send them your recommendation!

So is it “TPSTOB”…or “PSTOB”…or just “STOB”?
Less is better, but not when it comes to Buttah!, because ….“Buttur Makes it Bettur” …(as said New Yawk)

3 Likes

Made a surprisingly (for the simplicity) delicious stir-fry of king oyster mushrooms and asparagus, sautéed with garlic, salt, and pepper. Forgot to take a pic.

It’s amazing how different the texture of this mushroom is depending on whether it is sliced long, across, or into batons. It was the last version this time, and they were tender and buttery, vs the meaty, chewy ones a couple of days ago that were sliced lengthwise and pan-grilled with tare sauce. Still delicious, just a completely different experience.

9 Likes

that sounds great! i’ve always loved king oyster mushrooms, but they’ve always been associated with chinese food in my head (and asparagus with western), and for whatever reason there’s always been a mental wall for my creativity with respect to eastern and western food, even when i’m not following recipes. it’d literally never occur to me to mix those two, i’ll have to try.

1 Like

Tonight was another quick and easy meal: Earth’s Best mini beef meatballs (great, short ingredient list) in an apple-butter and onion barbecue sauce. Served over Parmesan cauliflower and Jasmine rice pilaf with wilted garlic spinach.

12 Likes

The day off was spent on Email dealing with a few work problems, as well expecting just a furnace cleaning, but paying for a new water heater when water was found on the floor. Thankfully there wasn’t any major flooding and it was discovered before it made a real mess! Oh well. The water heater was 18 years old, so it more than wore out its welcome.

Hell ride down to Mom’s and back. A tractor trailer went over the guardrail on 495S, probably no more than 5 minutes before I passed it - no cops were there yet. The wind was insane, as was the driving rain.

Mom had a very very VERY good day. :heart: She gave me a little gift she had received from a local church group, asking me if I could use it. It was a candy cane and a large cinnamon stick wrapped together. She said “isn’t there a recipe you use cinnamon sticks in?” and I immediately thought of something. I told her “Thanks! You’ve just decided on my dinner tonight - your Fail-Safe Chicken and Orange-Clove Rice!” She had a big beaming smile on her face and it made my day. :heart:

Chicken thighs were used and the memories the dinner created of Mom making this easy dinner for company were even better than the dinner. Broccoli was alongside, as was wine.

The boyz were in major comfy-cat mode after their dinner as well. It’s a good Friday night for all of us.

20 Likes

No, I should have added the butter to the pot after draining the steam water. But I didn’t. It was still good.

I really should have just dropped it and ran from the office last night…! “A few hours” this morning stretched into mid afternoon before i escaped.
But now I’M ON VACATION!!!
WOOoooooOOOoooooHHOoooooOOOoooo!!!
Celebrated by promptly passing out on the train home to nyc (quiet car = napping car)

I picked up a smoothie in penn station, kinda random but i got to choose the ingredients (no banana!!) and i could slurp while schlepping my stuff.

Couldn’t deal with delivery another night, and I’m heading to brunch at my friends’ before flying out tomorrow afternoon so grocery store is a lost cause. I wasn’t that hungry and just steamed the last two sad but not dead zucchini in the fridge and polished off the bag of everything pretzel chips. The simple zucchini made me very happy!

There’s an apple i might have with almond butter and my tea late night.

11 Likes

I love the story of your dinner tonight…!! Your kitties look very pleased too :))

2 Likes

Have a wonderful visit back to California! After your crazy meals of late you are really going to appreciate the produce, good meals and great company.

4 Likes

Frittata and wine . Getting ready to leave Sunday. Happy holidays to everyone. :wine_glass:Cheers .

3 Likes

Love the kitties…

2 Likes