What's For Dinner #40 - 12/2018 - The Hearth and Home Edition

Inspired by this recipe, I had a drawer full of carrots to use up, hazelnut dukkah from World Spice Merchants to try out and in place of kosher salt used organic white miso paste to give the cooking broth some zip. Very comforting. I will make rye toast later to go with. A good use of the saffron since I wasnt a fan of the tea.

A few shakes of white and black sesame seeds for add’l contrast. Dinner!

10 Likes

Sounds like a perfect winter soup!

2 Likes

It smells really good. My wife did most of the work while I made other things. I really should have said “we.”

2 Likes

just a double response.

1 Like

Pipette with turkey sausage and black olive ragu, pan-roasted Brussels with coriander, butter, and Adobo. As you can see everything is served together to minimize dishwashing these days.

We enjoyed some seasonal doughnuts from my favorite shop for dessert:

12 Likes

10 hour day ! so exhausted!
Drove 70 miles to Rockville for ophthamology appointment. Because the driving time was 3 h o urs ( heavy traffic at Capital Beltway, aside from rain even after rush hour) , I left early, stopped by Asian store for some chinese vegetables and chili crisp etc.
After appointment went one back to Costco. Forgot to bring winter coat, raining , froze to death!
Son’s GF arrived today from Netherland , so did not have time to cook.
Went to my old beat, ordered Taiwan spicy chicken with basil ( their specialty, also favored by a lot of my friend who I. introduced to the restaurant. Usually , they have it on. stick. A favorite of my son’s , 2 orders of sweet sour seafood soup ( each order is for 2 persons ), combination lo mein, but told them to hold the pork , ( did not like the noodles, wander why the noddles are not as thin as what I used to get

perhaps there was misunderstanding since it has been years since I retired and frequent there I like the thinner ), apple pie from Costco ad left over ( actually did not have appetite to eat Fried Basa Fish from Asian store)
Taiwan Chicken is one of their specialties. It is yummy. but when I arrived home, Son’s GF is very tired after 10 hours traveling as well as jet lag
I made a mistake , ordered so much food ! The picture shows food for 2 people. There are 3 more bowls of soup and 1 more order of chicken!

Miss Great Chinese Restaurants in Rockville! There was a write up sometime ago in the Washington Post that all the great Chinese restaurant moved from DC to Rockville and that is true!

Also was able to get Chilean Seabass from Asian store on sale for $16.99. Bought 4 large pieces.

Guess I will not have to cook for the next day or so. Nobody touched the apple pie nor the Lomein

9 Likes

Of course - I’m taking tomorrow off from work so today was a shit show. I didn’t have to deal with much of it, but it still reverberated.

Dinner was late, as there was more of yesterday’s pot luck to eat at lunch, so I didn’t need to eat until about 8:30 tonight. Someone got a Harry & David’s big-ass box from a client/vendor, so I grabbed a pear to be part of my dinner tonight.

Penzeys’ Tsardusted pan-seared pork chop, with a white wine/butter sauce, and a pear salsa on top. Steamed asparagus alongside, along with wine.

I overcooked the pork chop, so everything was kind of meh. Sort of like the day. :::shrug::: I had wine. That worked. And I get to sleep in until maybe 7 a.m. tomorrow before I get visits from the furnace guy to clean it and a contractor to price out what it’ll take to renovate my half bath.

12 Likes

But I don’t know what TPSTOB is!

The proverbial s*** ton of butter

7 Likes

TJs sells a great quick cooking barley, takes like 20min i think? Toddler may like it seperate from other stuff better than mixed with stuff. And of course toddler likes different things just because it’s a different day of the week too… ;))
The long cooking barley works well in soups for me, doesn’t suck up all the liquid like rice or pasta does and the chewy texture is nice

3 Likes

Of course. The brain is not firing on all cylinders at this point. Thanks.

5 Likes

The “clean eating” recipe source may be suspect in general ;))
Maybe something like this version would work better for you? Seems fairly hands off and lots of flavor from tomatoes and feta- dunno if it’s especially toddler friendly though ;))

4 Likes

That sounds tasty! Good call in adding in miso, the soup will probably get better in a day or two as well- somehow soups get better with “resting” time ;))

3 Likes

i need to internalize that. i fall into the trap of overseasoning so it’s fine the first day, but allllllways needs dilution afterwards.

1 Like

Work was a total shitshow today…! I was supposed to head back to nyc tonight but decided would rather stay and do a few hrs in office tomorrow to wrap up everything than work really late and get to my apt in nyc at midnight.
Sad desk dinner… coworkers wanted middle eastern, same place i always order from. Had the pureed fava bean soup and a chunk of not good pita dunked in it.
Glad for the tasty dark chocolate marzipan bar, i’ll have more of it with my tea soon.

6 Likes

I agree that can happen and when it does I try to find a way to get the flavor or consistency where I want it. My wife and I added the miso a tsp at a time so as not to overpower the carrot flavor.
A similar thing happens when we add fresh ginger or powered curry to a soup.

1 Like

The Proverbial Shit-Ton of Butter, duh! :grin:

3 Likes

A sort of Mongolian/cumin beef mashup was WFD, with TJs’ shaved beef, tossed in corn starch. The sauce was a little sweet for me, even though i cut the brown sugar way down, but serranos and lots of ginger and garlic helped. BF ate three bowls, so he must have liked it. Green beans sauteed with oyster & soy sauce, and a little brown sugar too.

16 Likes

glad you have some time off, even though it’ll be busy for you!

that is not, by the way, the PSTOB on that asparagus. :wink:

4 Likes

Nothing was bigger in butter than the Joel Rubuchon potatoes I had for Thanksgiving. 2 # potato to 1# butter . Shit ton is considered a dollop in this recipe .

5 Likes