What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

Hey - if raw onion breath and pork fat floss between your teeth turn you on… more power to you.

As for me? I could think of sexier foods, fo sho :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Me Too. But the idea that someone would have no problem eating what they like, without feeling uncomfortable about it, would cause me to feel more comfortable.

:wink:

At 350°, catholiver. I have no idea of its weight, as I had cut it from a larger full pork loin, so I started timing it at 45 minutes. Put it back in for another 15 minutes, checked it again, and I think it went back in for another 10 minutes. The instant read thermometer read 150°, maybe slightly less, when I took it out of the oven.

There’s really not a helluva lot to say about this. Most butchers in Germany sell beef tartare, seasoned ground pork as well as a mix of both - the latter usually being used for meatballs.

Seasoned ground pork plus raw onion on a breakfast roll is a common sandwich. That’s all.

We’re going in to the city for dinner. Our favourite upscale place there - folk (me included) keep saying it’s worth a Michelin star but it fails to get one, as everywhere in the city seems to fail.

My bassist invited a bunch of folks over for a whole beef tenderloin dinner. I was asked to bring potatoes au gratin. He’s got quite the reputation as a cook, so I’m very much looking forward to this.

I’m also starting my new job today delivering food. Stoked.

4 Likes

Thanks. We grind our own pork shoulder. Next time I’ll have to play around with some.

Weekend was endlessly stormy night and day and I was busy. Managed to make a couple of dinner photos the other day (see below).

Today: Iraqui flat bread with kebap spiced lamb. Flat leaf parsley, mint, coriander. Sauce was crumbled feta mixed with quark and chopped cucumber.

Yesterday: one of our favourite meals. Can anything be more “Northerner” than this? I used the heel as we don’t have the Eisbein cut. The heel is the biggest thing in my freezer. Trying to make room so we can bring stuff back from upcoming holiday in Germany.
I tried to make a few incisions on the rind but it didn’t turn out.

As for raw pork mince and beef tartare, I have had both many times in Germany. The mince is very strictly controlled and there are guide lines so it’s not like one can just chop up any kind of meat and serve it.

I had both last in Cologne in april. Check out some pics from that trip sorted by date here if you want.

1 Like

The gratin before…

and after…

smells intoxicating :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Green tomato & brie pizza with sauteed onions and parmiganno. Can’t believe there are still green tomatoes out there. they added a nice tang.

5 Likes

I should just “like” but I’m going to say “drool.” I’m hungry and I can really SMELL this :smile:

Chicken & date tagine. Or, if you prefer, chicken & date stew.

Chicken thighs, onions, garlic, ginger, saffron, cinnamon, cayenne, stock, dates. Freekeh as the carb.

4 Likes

Looks absolutely Yummy!

I hope you enjoyed your first day at the new job :smiley:

Seared wild mallard breasts (they are only half the size of normal magret, very deep dark red, gamey-er and I still had to pluck a bit). Salsify gratin with a layer of kale underneath. Now I remember why I don’t eat salsify more often. Made a mess on everything even with lemon juice in the water. We enjoyed the meal a lot but my partner doesn’t have sticky salsify sap on fingers.

2 Likes

It was a-ok, but today is better! I love being able to make my own schedule.

2 Likes

Another Sichuan jour fixe with around 8 of our chile head peeps tonight. For pics, see last week Thursday :slight_smile:

You inspired me to go spicy for dinner tonight - crispy ground beef and tofu stirfried with red cabbage and fresh jalapenos, lightly sauced with black bean garlic sauce and a LOT of sriracha. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

1 Like

WFD: Greatly Enhanced Chicken Fried Rice.
Ingredients: peanut oil; eggs; sesame oil; chopped onions; chopped celery; garlic; ginger; cooked rice; L/O roast chicken; handful mixed mushrooms; green peas; a bit of chopped carrot; chopped scallions; soy sauce, RPF. Garnished with peanuts.

That will do it, I think.

If not there’s kimchi, gingered carrots, and any number of condiments, and/or dipping sauces available.

4 Likes

Happy to inspire – especially when it comes to spicy food!

Today was busy - worked half of the afternoon, went straight to a screening of two student movies I acted in, then stopped at home to change for my workout… just barely time to prep and eat dinner before my evening shift.

So simples it is: the all-time casa lingua favorite, TCC, is on the menu tonight – roasted in the oven at 400 so the BISO thighs are perhaps done a little faster than at the usual 375.

Side is green peas with a little lemon zest, crème fraîche and white wine.

1 Like