What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

Tonight I have a beef stew in the oven. Boneless short ribs braising with a few bottles, cans of stout. Kona and Ten Fidy. Should be good

3 Likes

Really hit the spot on this warm winter day

5 Likes

We’re going out for dinner to a nearby town with friends.

It’s a cafe usually only open during the day but, tonight, is having a special Xmas opening. Food is vegetarian.

It’s a sort of fundraising event. The cafe is run by a mental health charity.

We’ve had to preorder food so we’ll be having:

warm beetroot and goats cheese salad with sourdough crostini (me) and parsnip bhakis with raita and green tomato chutney (herself)

Chestnut and shallot tatin, mushromm & madeira sauce (both)

Sticky toffee pudding with brandy custard and toffee sauce (herself) and chocolate cashew cheesecake with red berry coulis (me(

Coffee and truffles

4 Likes

Saw this recipe for a little different type of CI steak cooking:

I didn’t get the char (probably not quite hot enough) but it sure was tasty and cooked evenly all the way through. No “leafy green vegetables” in the fridge so just peas and Bob’s delish mushrooms. A quick and good dinner. NB: I need to do the lemon zest on peas as linguafood mentioned.

3 Likes

WFD: Pan-grilled bone-in pork chops spiked with TJ’s 1 gun salute.
A quick stir-fry of onions, garlic, ginger, Thai bird chili, green cabbage, red bell pepper, bean sprouts, soy and oyster sauces.
Baked potato.
Short & savory.

3 Likes

Another busy day with just a couple of hours between shifts, so easy dinner was on the agenda:

two tilapia filets were blackened in olive oil and butter, side was steamed green beans tossed in butter with diced sautéed onion. Squeeze o’lemon over the fishies. 20 minutes from start to eatings.

Cheap, fast, tasty. Our fish silverware for the expensive protein, served on our special IKEA plates '-D

8 Likes

String beans were on sale so they will be part of tonight’s dinner

Stoopid…Stoopid…Stoopid (mental note to self; Take picture BEFORE you eat!!!)

Well this was a 24oz Kansas City Sirloin, side of onion rings. Not prime, nor Aged, just a decent cut of meat that satisfied my hankering. As the picture does show, no complaints!

7 Likes

Sometimes, a picture says more than words…

5 Likes

I have been recovering from an injury, nothing serious, just enough to appreciate a freezer full of left overs and easy, peasy meals. Check in every day to see what y’all are cooking. Braved the monsoon weather tonight to grill a sockeye salmon fillet, my favorite side, Basmati and wild rice and a spinach salad with creamy Greek dressing. There was wine. Dessert, Peppermint ice cream or an eggnog with bourbon, maybe both.

7 Likes

It’s a little known secret in the month of December egg-nog with bourbon cures all that ails us! Enjoy and speedy recovery!

I’m cured! Thank you.

6 Likes

Egg nog shots :slight_smile: Sound great to me!

Mugs sounds better

1 Like

And how was it?

It was OK. That is, OK in the sort of way that a cafe unused to serving three course meals is going to cook one. Which meant that the kitchen and the people serving were completely unprepared for something like 30 people all turning up at the appointed hour of 7pm and wanting feeding. It was getting on for 8.30 before some tables got their starters.

Still, it was a contribution to the fundraising. Herself won a raffle prize - unfortunately it was a table decoration - a jam jar filled with some twigs (pretty bow tied round it ). Yes, it was that sort of evening.

5 Likes

“Yes, it was that sort of evening.” Kind of twiggy and brown?

2 Likes

Way to much going on for any real dinners around our place. Two nights ago we had some cheese, salumi, crackers, and wine. Last night (upon receipt of the bad news that our entire air/heater system must be replaced asap to the tune of tons of money!) we managed some TJ’s parmesan arugula pasta and a slice of baguette to soak up the butter and red pepper flakes. There was bourbon.

Good summary.

As for tonight’s dinner, a meat sauce bubbles away on the hob. It’ll be eaten with fettuccine. And preceeded by garlic mushrooms on toast.

4 Likes

WFD: A Layered Affair:

1. Soba noodles
  2. Stir-fried red bells, leeks, jalapeño, onion, garlic, ginger, chopped tomato, RPF, sherry, soy sauce, oyster sauce,
  3. Scrambled eggs and crumbled bacon.
  4. Chopped cilantro leaves.
    Happy Happy Week-End Everyone!!
2 Likes