What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

The plum sauce sounds very good - details? I might have to pull out some of my frozen Plum Ketchup for the pork roast I’m planning to make tonight.

1 Like

Meis tinks we are in the same neck of the woods…just give me a little notice!

As I remember, I just cooked down a kilo of plums along with seasonings till it was sufficiently sauce-like, then sieved it to get rid of any bits of skin, stone, etc

1 Like

Another summerly day in HV (thx, climate change!), so we be grillin’ @casa lingua tonight. Purchased a 1 lb. chuck-eye steak that is currently dry-brining in the fridge.

Sides are butter lettuce & romaine with avocado, blue cheese & buttermilk dressing as well as sautéed baby bellas on the side.

2 Likes

This weather is truly insane. I wore sandals and no coat today, and ordered an iced coffee so I wouldn’t get hot standing in the sun waiting for the train.

I got my baking on today. Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread (1 full-sized, 2 baby-sized), and Orange-Spiced Nuts. (Technically not baking on that last one.) I’ve got some cookies in mind, but that’s not happening tonight. I’m sure the bread and nuts will be appreciated by the scavengers at work tomorrow. They’ll get cookies next week.

Dinner was a pork loin roast that was schmeared with a combo of Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset, ground sumac, Aleppo pepper, olive oil, salt, pepper and a couple of tsp of Dijon mustard, and roasted to 150°. Removed and let it rest for 15 minutes.

Baby potatoes were tossed with olive oil, garlic-parsley, and salt and pepper and roasted in the convection oven.

Green beans were steamed. Applesauce was spooned. A glass of wine was poured. And dinner was et.

And it was good.

4 Likes

Nice lookin’ piggy, LW!

1 Like

I was pleased with it, Lingua. No gravy needed, as it stayed nicely moist. And the applesauce helped.

Perfect color – nice n pink.

2 Likes

Which I know can send some into paroxysms of horror. But I continue to live after eating pink pork. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try raw pork with raw onion on a bread roll some time. It’s huge in the fatherland… and I’m still alive, too :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thaaaat I’ll probably not try. But I’m glad you’re alive. :smiley:

It’s positively delicious. Not a date food by any means.

At what oven temp did you do the pork?

Ooh, talk to ME about that. If not here, then on its own thread.

I’m paralyzed on the couch. Started making Christmas toffee at 8:30 this morning with 6 family helpers. We made 6 batches of toffee, coated them with chocolate, and pecans. Everyone bailed around noon. DH and I packed it all up and cleaned up the mess about an hour ago. Done for another year!
Dinner will be a veggie tikka masala over coconut rice. No naan in the house but there are some thick flour tortillas that will work just fine.

4 Likes

Whew, I sure hope the recipients are appreciative.

Mmmm porky spreads. I still remember one I had at a vineyard in Slovenia almost twenty years ago - it looked like raw, ground-up bacon with onions (which is what I think it was) and the other Americans I was with shrank away in terror. More for me! :smile:

3 Likes

Why not? I for one, would be pretty interested if my date ate raw pork and liked it. Would make me wonder what else they would do for fun. :joy:

1 Like

Agreed. There’s really little that we don’t eat together. It would be an issue.

1 Like