What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

Nothing exciting last night, but I’m trying to do better with making dinner at home during the week. Last night was a quick tomato sauce mixed with par-cooked pasta. I layered the pasta into a baking pan with raw spinach and topped the whole mess with some provolone and fresh mozzarella. Into the oven for 30 minutes to get all warm and melty. Since the oven was hot I used the last piece of pizza dough to make a quick focaccia topped with a drizzly of olive oil, rosemary, and a few slices of grilled artichoke hearts.
Tonight we are going out to celebrate our 20th anniversary. :couple_with_heart:

3 Likes

Congratulations, Robin!

1 Like

Rack of pork (from Costco), black eyed peas, rice, gravy and kale salad. Ginger pecan cookies for dessert. SF fam is here including the 4 y.o. and 18 mo. Making it easy and child-friendly. No pix.

1 Like

WFD: ~ L/O rotisserie chicken with gravy.
~ Wild Rice Pilaf. Chopped onions/carrots/garlic/mushrooms, chicken stock, les delicieux petit rested de last night’s wild rice with apricots. Garnished w chopped toasted almonds. Plated on a bed of arugula.
~ Sliced vine tomatoes with a drizzle of EVOO, the good sherry vinegar, a small shower of Maldon salt.

Winter hath arriven. Lhude sing O Dear.

Tonight I made my daughter’s favorite, a tuna stack. Crushed wasabi peas, mango and avocado and cucumbers are on the bottom layer. The selection of mango and avocado sucked today. Half were rotten when peeled so the it’s kinda skimpy on the bottom. Also picked up a 720 ml bottle of a very nice cold sake to serve with the meal.

7 Likes

It’s so pretty! Looks like a savory birthday cake :sunny:

Pineapple Fried Rice w/ Shrimp - Shrimp, rice, pineapple, cashews, tomatoes, onions, scallions, soy sauce, fish sauce, curry powder, white pepper, sugar & salt.

3 Likes

There’s canapes with aperitifs. Nothing spectacular - although I’m quite looking forward to the supermarket haggis, neeps and tatties bites

There’s a small pork loin joint to be roasted. Alongside, a celeriac, celery & walnut gratin.

For dessert, a supermarket ginger sponge pudding that also cooks in the oven. With custard, of course.

Have a great 2016, folks.

John

2 Likes

Yesterday I celebrated my birthday at the in laws. MIL had asked what I wanted as a present. I just requested she make her salt beef. She did ( bless her she had to go to three different butchers in order to find the meat). Had it with bagels, gherkins and mustard. Her neighbour’s Christmas cake for afters.

Tonight I’m making a lamb and rosemary ragu with rigatoni. Bottle of Piorat to go with. Strawberry cheesecake for afters. A good NYE and happy new year to all.

3 Likes

Tonight, Himself is making schnitzel to his mum’s recipe, which we’re having with the Jamie Oliver sprouts which Harters’s household had a few days ago! A crumble of apples and plums is in the oven. Montepulciano to go with the main course and possibly a spot of leftover pudding wine with the pudding. Happy Days as JO says. And Happy 2016 to everyone.

1 Like

Happy new year, everyone!

First time eating a steak in weeks. This was a nice and big aged entrecôte. Didn’t even plan on making photos of it but had to at least make photos of the wine.

Good times at the pub again today, rubbing elbows (literally, too crowded) with regulars. People at our table would burst into songs randomly and every time they did everyone looked in our general direction. They told us they were choir singers.

I had a bit too much to drink and needed a quick nap to recover when we got back. The pub was half full before we paid our bill (a beermat over the Stein) as people were leaving due to closing time.

2 Likes

Frohes Neues Jahr, Pata/Pre! We still have a few hours to go…

Guten Rutsch! (as they say here in Franconia)

The pub is open tomorrow from 12pm-2pm. Maybe I’ll go there again. Dunno yet.

We were bullied - sorry, I mean talked into '-) hosting another big NYE bash after a 3 year hiatus. Things like this always are a 3-day thing: prep before and on the day, not to mention cleaning up the aftermath… thus the long hiatus. But we are The Party Couple in town after all, so around 35 of our closest friends will be joining us for frolicking, drinking & dancing the night away…

• the house is clean & the dance floor installed, thanks to my wonderful man
  • I only destroyed maybe 15% of the flimsy decorations while trying to detangle and attach them at various places in the house
  • the PA is set up for ear-bleeding levels of music aka a 6 hr. playlist
  • I picked out my dress for tonight’s early evening show at a local church

Ciabatta sandwiches (veg/omni) have been prepared by the man, various cheeses and smoked salmon dip will be set out just before we leave for my show; there’s also a tray of Wegmans’ deviled eggs…

Our party doesn’t start until 9 PM, so there won’t be much dinner food, save for anything our guests might contribute.

Wishing everyone here a happy & healthy New Year and a wonderful night tonight, however you are celebrating (or, in the case of our HOs abroad, however you have celebrated).

1 Like

Have a fabulous time!

I have been carb binging before I must turn over a new leaf for 2016. Tacos with beans, hamburger with fries, tonight pizza and a bottle of bubbly for afters. New years day I will have the requisite black eyed peas with something, probably pork tenderloin, and then I shall go back to my low carb life style. Happy New Year everyone, may 2016 bring you good health, delicious food and drink.

3 Likes

Wonderful - happy anniversary, aussieshep! And happy new year!

1 Like

I’m ready to say “So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!” to 2015. It hasn’t treated me all that nicely for the last three months, so perhaps instead of just saying goodbye, I’ll kick it in its ass and out into the snow!

New Year’s dinner started off with a cheese and fruit course: Manchego cheese with a slice of mango membrillo topped with a Marcona almond; mini-rolls of prosciutto, and a clementine pinwheel.

Dinner was Scallops with Saffron Cream Sauce, basmati rice, and asparagus. (Should have mixed the saffron sauce into the rice and then plated it. Oh well.)

Wine was Belcreme de Lys, and dessert will be mini vanilla and chocolate cheesecakes from WF.

Depending on the mood (and if I stay up that late), I might pour a flute of prosecco. Or I might just go to bed.

Wishing you all a healthy, happy, safe, prosperous and fun 2016.

7 Likes

Time to move on to a new thread, folks.

1 Like

If this restaurant is anywhere near NYC, I’d like the name, please.