What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

Last night was a quick version of a jeweled rice recipe I once made (I think from Bon Appetite). My made up quickened version was this…Saute turmeric, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon, slivered almonds, and dried tart cherries and diced apricots in olive oil. Meanwhile the rice cooks in boiling water (paste style) until almost done. Spices, fruits, nuts removed from pan, and a bit more olive oil is added. Half the rice goes into pan and gets spread into a nice layer then spice mixture is added and spread on rice layer. Top with remaining rice. Make a few holes in the rice with the end of a wooden spoon and drizzle a bit of warm water with saffron threads into each hole. Cover pot with a dishtowel and tight fitting lid and let simmer away. I probably left it for 30 minutes. The goal is to have a nice crust of crispy rice along with the spiced fluffy rice. This was really good. We also has some roasted veggies in pitas with tzatziki sauce.

5 Likes

??? Not sure what you’re laughing at, lagatta. Looocy, you gotz some 'splaining to do! :wink:

Tonight’s dinner is leftover beef tenderloin, re-purposed into beef stroganoff. Served on egg noodles, with peas and corn alongside.

And I’m off from work until next Monday. YAY, me! (Although I expect at least one text and/or phone call in the next couple of days asking me questions.)

Don’t reply. They’ll live without you.

Weather is plummeting fast and I have brought no real winter clothes. Gonna put everything on instead of buying new woollens (have more than enough at home). And I sleep better now. Church bells are still ringing here but my lodging is far enough from the source of the noise.

Made something simple and meatless after spending the afternoon in the town’s most atmospheric pub.

Pasta with squid

Riesling brought with us from Miltenberg. Really nice! If we ever return to Miltenberg it’d be for the wine and not the beer.

The pub, is always full and it seems every single person in it is a regular. We got invited to sit with the regulars at a table with only 2 seats left. This is a big honor. It has happened to us before, twice even, in Bamberg. Most of the patrons are pensioners and the elderly. Regulars at our table are in their 70’s and 80’s. They chatted with us the whole time and even helped us plan logistics for our beer visits in nearby places. Even made an appointment for today, same place, same time.

Finally, it got less crowded near the end of the afternoon.

3 Likes

Tonight is the traditional end of turkey meal. With chips, peas and any stuffing still lingering on.

Had a fab Sichuan flounder with silken tofu last night - perfect balance of ma la.

As for tonight, blackened tilapia plus x. Not sure about the side yet. Something green, likely.

Last night was actually COLD here for the first time this season, so DH requested chili, the non-Texan kind. Ground beef, andouille chicken sausage, black beans, onions, garlic, peppers, jalapenos, four kinds of chile powder, cocoa powder, chipotles in adobo, tomatoes, tomato paste, hot sauce, beef stock and beer all went in the pot (not in that order!) and came out a fabulous and spicy chili that warmed us through to the toes! Sour cream, cheddar and pickled jalapenos to garnish.

Tonight is undecided but will likely involve pork tenderloin. Maybe with bacon…

3 Likes

That looks like a friendly place. Speaking of warm Germanic things, I so miss my grey Loden coat (yes, I know that is Austrian). As in many old flats and houses, cupboards and such are oddly installed - I have my hot-water heater in one. As someone commented “a spa for moths”.

WFD: ~ Two six-ounce Pollock fillets will be dredged in seasoned flour, then cast iron skillet fried in bacon fat. Garnished with chopped scallion, crumbled bacon, and chopped toasted hazelnuts.

~ Basic Steamed Wild Rice to which I’ll add chopped dried apricots.
~ Steamed Broccoli

1 Like

Picked up some sausages and a package of soup vegs (celeriac, carrots, leek, parsley etc, though not all chopped up) on the way back from the pub. Added the rest of uncooked pasta from yesterday. Was delicious and filling on this chilly night.

Walk by the town hall every time to get to the pub(s). In the evening, starting on Dec. 1st, the windows became lit revealing a motif. (Town hall site has a pano photo of the building but not of the advent calendar)

2 Likes

I would NOT want to be on the roads tonight in my neck of the woods north of Bostn. The slush was already “crunchy” around 1 p.m. Isn’t getting any better with a temperature drop and icing up overnight.

It was a Chickeny Day. :slight_smile: I spent the afternoon making Chicken-Corn-Roasted Red Pepper Chowder for Mom Meals and Cabin Meals (for my sister and BIL). A gallon and a half later, it’s in the downstairs fridge cooling off before being frozen.

Some stupidmarket shopping, and they had .99 cents/lb. whole chickens at Hannafords. BOOM. Dinnah.

Slathered with some olive oil, and sprinkled with a mix of Herbs de Provence, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried parsley. Into a hot 450° oven for 20-25 minutes, then down to 350° until the instant-read thermometer read 165°.

Sides were steamed broccoli, and leftover basmati rice. There WAS wine. And it was good. Perhaps some chocolate gelato for dessert.

7 Likes

That chicken breast looks succulent and perfectly cooked, Linda. Yum.

3 Likes

You took the words right outta my mouf, bear! Succulentamente.

1 Like

The tilapia came out nicely, though I should’ve just used the blackening rub w/out adding flour - it diluted a very nice and powerful seasoning. Oh well - s&p and a good squeeze of lemon to the rescue.

The salad turned out really wonderful again. Our pescatarian buddy was happy.

Three silly games for dessert: Personalogy, Cards Against Humanity & Foodie Fight Rematch - the latter two of which I won with flying colors :smiley:

5 Likes

Tonight will be the last of the Christmas food, the end of the sausage meat stuffing in a pasta sauce (Nigella recipe for the sauce), and with shop bought cheesecake to follow. Last night we took a break from cooking and went up to central London to look at the lights, and eat out at Piquet, report on UK board. Love London between Christmas and New Year.

1 Like

We’re going out for dinner - I see Cypriot mezze in my near future.

3 Likes

I do have to say it was probably one of the best roast chickens I’ve made in a long time, @bear. I love the mix of Herbes de Provence (and a bit of garlic!) for roasted chicken.

It and the salad look wonderful, lingua!

Was going to prepare the creamy cauliflower soup this PM, since I’m working this evening… but it’s a friend’s birthday, so instead I’ll catch up with everyone once I’m done - wherever they may be :smile:

The cauli will last till next year/Friday, for sure.

Happy penultimate day of 2015, y’all.

1 Like