What's for dinner? #4 - Dec 2015 - The Solstice Countdown Edition

I’ve never heard of shrimp pho. Do you put the raw shrimp in the bowl and then pour the broth over it?

Your risotto looks wonderful. Mine is always “gloppy.” Could you share your technique please? TIA

That sounds like a wonderful Christmas visit, John. Glad it went well for you, and thank you for your kind words.

Your risotto looks wonderful. Mine is always “gloppy.” Could you share your technique please? TIA…

I’m not sure I have a technique, but here is what I generally do. Bring stock to light boil in large pot. In a sauté pan, sauté a shallot in olive oil, add arborio rice and lightly toast. Add ladles full of stock. I leave the heat pretty high and stir most of the time (I never manage to “consistently” stir). Test rice and when it’s close to your desired doneness, add one more ladle of stock, the bloomed saffron, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Then add the peas. After the peas are warmed through I dump in a pile of fresh, finely grated Parmesan cheese. That’s it. Sorry I can’t give you measurements since I tend to dump in some rice and eyeball the rest.
I think the best advice I heard was that the last addition of stock should leave the risotto a bit loose because it will continue to set up as you add the cheese and even after its on the plate.

1 Like

Thanks so much. And a friend of mine made the same point about the final moments. Gotta try again.

No, I saute the shrimp and add last. Not really a true pho, more like a faux pho or pho inspired soup. I don’t think pho ever has eggs either.

1 Like

Egg pho yung. Never herd of it? :wink:

6 Likes

Quiche (bought). Salad - red cabbage, red onion, radish, tomato. Standard vinaigrette dressing.

Sooooooo…are they still vile farty veggies, John?

P.S. I’d TOTALLY buy a cheese called Bob’s Knob. Just sayin’. :wink:

They’re never going to be my favourite veg but this was a pretty good way of doing them

Bob’s Knob - https://www.cookipedia.co.uk/recipes_wiki/Bob’s_Knobs_cheese

It’s named after their late cheesemaker, Bob Kitching. You’ll see there’s a version that’s matured for 2 years and another that’s matured for 5. Bob used to come to our local farmers market. I was chatting with him about the new product and tasted both versions. He reckoned the 2 year old was the better and that 5 years was just too much. I agreed and have always gone for the 2 year one.

1 Like

I looked up Bob’s Knob when I first read your post. Not exported to the States, unfortunately.

After a week in Miltenberg I have moved on to another medieval town called Forchheim. Was here on a day trip just to drink beer, but that was 2 years back. This time I’m staying a week to drink beers in surrounding villages, and drink local Forchheim beer once again and not worry about missing the next train back.

Immediately went to Bamberg but our restaurant-pub of choice was completely packed with no possibility of a seat, or even a place to stand. It has always been like this, though. Have to try again in a couple of days, and be there before it opens. Other pubs we like are closed at least today. Some are closed til after new year. It sucks but it’s also pretty common at this time of year.

Anyhow, we caught the next train back to Forchheim (a 15min ride) and went to the restaurant-pub we didn’t get to visit 2 years ago as it was their “rest day”.

There’s only one beer on tap but it’s a decent one. Cheaper than in Miltenberg. (I still have the postcard from 2 years ago)

The dumplings were sliced and deep fried, so they appeared.

One of the most common dishes here in Upper Franconia. This pork belly was quite meaty. Being salty is a given, but one is supposed to eat it with some other bland accompaniments to balance it out. I had to forgo the boiled dumplings.

It’s good to be back in Upper Franconia again. I tend to keep returning to this region. Hoping to get some decent sleep again after a week of church bells. My lodging in the previous town is about 50 metres from the main church and on the hour there is a full blown deafening bell ringing concert thing!

5 Likes

Inspired by a Nigella recipe for “easy pea soup” courtesy of the NYT cooking section, I decided to make pea soup. Instead of sautéing scallions, however, I’m using a little leftover red onion and maybe a little shallot if needed. Butter instead of oil. Mint as an addition. Adding light cream and/or crème fraîche, and omitting the parm (this will go on top of arugula salad with lemon oil instead). Poaching a buncha shrimp in the finished product.

My version of a “liquid diet” to get into shape for NYE – our annual black tie dance party. Cauli soup up tomorrow, probably. With bacon. Duh.

3 Likes

Roasted a megaboo-sized Frankenchicken breast. Seasoned with olive oil, and sprinkled with a combination of Penzeys Ruth’s Muskego Ave. Chicken/Fish seasoning (mostly salt - salt, black pepper, garlic, lemon peel and onion), Penzeys Tuscan Sunset seasoning mix (basil, oregano, red bell pepper, garlic, thyme, fennel, black pepper and anise) and some additional dried lemon peel. No picture.

Leftover basmati rice, and some steamed green beans. A glass of white wine for drowning my sorrows at the Patriots’ loss to the Jets and Belichick’s beyond nutso decision to kick at the start of OT, giving the Jets the ball. HUH?

2 Likes

I feel your pain, Niners and Seahawks both lost today, although as inept as the Niners are I can’t really blame nutso coaching. Freezer dive today yielded chicken breast from roasted chicken, broth and roasted garlic made excellent gravy served over mashed red potatoes, and a broccoli salad. Yes there were White Lady cocktails and wine to assauge.

1 Like

Dayamn, that pea soup was good. Probably great with lobster or scallops as well, but the shrimp worked perfectly.

The arugula salad with lemon dressing & parmesan reminded me of how much I like that particular combo. Even better with steamed North Sea shrimp for a great appetizer salad…

All in all, a very green dinner.

6 Likes

I’m far from a child, but do confess I broke out laughing. Especially given the er … cheesy … I think I’ve said enough.

That arugula combo is my fave. And that soup looks and sounds fantastic. Come here and cook with me :slight_smile:

Dinner’s to be something of a post-festive fridge raid. We seem to have over-stocked like there was going to be a siege. There’s a ham that’s barely been touched. There’s salad that’s now on its last legs. There’s a vast mountain of Claudia Roden’s turkey stuffing that I defrosted in the expectation that it would be eaten well before now. There’s cheese that’s not even been unwrapped, let alone nibbled at - mercifully that’ll last for ages yet and will probably become a lunch or dinner feature.

So, dinner - ham, salad, stuffing. If you don’t hear from me in the coming days, you’ll know it was all well past its prime and, ahem, upset stomachs have been suffered.

3 Likes

Mrs Harters is a particular fan of the Italian dish which takes the rocket (arugula) and slices steak over it and Parm shavings. Can’t recall the name of it just now