What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Too late. I hope there’s no next time.

Oh no, no more planting new things for me unless it is to replace a dying shrub that is not as stand alone by itself but part of a group.

My friend planted a fig tree, It has had no fruit for 3 years now.
I will just continue to eat those SUNNY FRUIT dried organic smyrna figs from Turkey. T&hey are tender and juicy and at 10.for 40 ounce from Costco, it is a deal!!

1 Like

Make sure it is a female tree. You need to wait several years for good enough fruits. My neighbour has one planted in pot, many figs and very sweet.

Chicken tacos, guac, roasted corn, black beans. Pineapple punch and a lime pie from Sis.

Pumpkin carving, seed toasting Sunday.

Enjoy!
Rooster

8 Likes

Am I remembering right that she’s the one who loves icebox cakes and pies?

3 Likes

One and the same. Good memory ChristinaM!

thanks for the info. However, I just cannot. handle ore plants
Right now, I am still fighting the squirrels, the ground hogs
, the hundreds of starling that pass by my house to fo south but descend on my. lawn enjoying the microclover seeds I sowed.
I did not even plant any herbs this year but had to find someone working in the neighborhood to move my tropical plants indoor last week as well as the year before last as my son is usually away home during the months of Oct-November and now, with his sciatica, it is not really advisable for him to lie anything.
Living in a rural area, it is not easy to find help

It was blustery here yesterday due to the Nor’easter, which put me in the mood for something hearty and comforting, so I planned pot roast for today. Of course, today ended up being mild and beautiful, LOL! Pot roast it is anyway. Loaf of sourdough in the oven, plenty of onions and carrots roasting with the meat. I had a 5.5 lb roast so there will be plenty of leftovers for vaca frita or whatever else comes to mind during the week.

11 Likes

Butterfly pork chops, breaded and pan fried on the stove top. Broccoli florets and apple sauce to complement.

10 Likes

That pork chop looks delicious!!

3 Likes

Thank you. I haven’t pan fried pork chops in decades, so I had to search out an internet tutorial to get it done. Used an egg wash dredge and then bread crumbs to “insulate” the chop. Was tasty.

Dinner was easy tonight - a bacon cheeseburger on a Kaiser roll with ketchup on the bottom and green leaf lettuce on top. Potato chips and a salad of lettuce, cucumbers, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and goat cheese with a lemon-tarragon-mustard vinaigrette.

Wine. Girding my loins for a very busy Hell Week at Work.

Also made a double-batch of Spicy Apply Gingerbread. Large loaf for work tomorrow, 2 baby loaves for my sister/BIL, 1 for me, and the last for Mom given to her in slices. Hope she likes it.

16 Likes

Mamaleh’s Deli in Cambridge, Kupel’s Bakery in Brookline, Rosenfeld’s in Newton, and Bagelsaurus on Mass Ave in Cambridge are always at the top of the lists.

1 Like

We attended a BBQ cook-off this afternoon and really can’t think about food. So much meat. Maybe cucumber salad and some plain rice if we feel up to it later.

11 Likes

Would your recipe work as muffins?

Looks like alot of good eats on a beautiful day!

2 Likes

Spicy, vinegary, and fermented hit the spot after heavy eats

10 Likes

Whoahza. Looks like you had a spectacular day for it too!

1 Like

I needed a salad yet kept it super simple since i leave at- no, before!- sunrise tomorrow morning. Just lettuce and cucumber, olives, and lots of hemp seeds. Had that late afternoon and just now made a baked sweet potato with a metric crapton of “butter” and some everything seasoning. Kombucha a la carte

8 Likes

I try to find small sweet potatoes to have on hand for a late night snack!

2 Likes