What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Spent 3+ hours today canning our olives, so happy to find some left over pork chile verde in the refrigerator, so totally did not feel like cooking! Ended up with 30 pints of Sevillano olives.
Our 6th year doing this…

17 Likes

YUM! Where was this? I know exactly how you feel about a light meal after so much meat!

Do you know what zone you are in? Here is a link if you are interested: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/ I am in 7A in New Jersey and have had solidly medium luck with my fig. My dad gave it to me in a pot several years ago and it had figs on it. I planted it on the side of my house where it is protected a bit but gets lots of sun. Last year I watered it like crazy and I got TONS of figs. Like a bonanza. It was incredible. I was starting to get discouraged because before that I was experimenting with wrapping before winter and it was taking forever, different pruning etc etc. This year, there are figs on there but they won’t ripen. It was a weird year for figs this year. My dad had pretty good success with his. He keeps his in pots and moves them into the barn before it gets seriously cold with a tractor. Here is a pic from last year of one branch:

6 Likes

I think it would, @Rooster! A very moist cake - the recipe calls for it to be baked in an 8x8 pan, but I think that makes it too shallow a cake, if that makes sense. I baked the mini loaf pans for about 30 min, and the larger loaf pan was baked for 40 minutes.

I found two recipes for it but if you have a quick link for the recipe so I am clear on spice amounts, that would be helpful. Thxs.

On a total cauliflower kick right now. I’m planning to add carrots, parsnips, fennel, and white onion to the roasting sheet pan and finish with the lemony dressing in the link.

Some vino and I think we are good to go!
Maybe bread…

:tumbler_glass:Rooster

6 Likes

If the seafood was not cooked i’d have no issues with using it. Cooking would kill those surface pathogens and acid would too if a ceviche

It was cooked, brought over to warm up. This couple wound up dr visit ill when I checked in with them. No regrets tossing now but a shame to waste it nonetheless.

2 Likes

Do you use any essence or extract in yours?

Those look great! It’s always obvious when someone has honed a recipe. Please share a link if you have one. I have baked/fried at least 10 different apple recipes: gallette, pie, tart, puff pastry tart, apple turnovers, apple dumplings [failed], Jewish apple cake, apple bundt cake, apple fritters, apple cheesecake, apple muffins, pumpkin apple cake [failed]. I will try any apple recipe.

1 Like

No, but it has ground cardamom and saffron threads.

Cooked a few things for my friend who just lost her mother. She returns tonight, and I know it’s going to be a tough few days.

I saved a bowl of each for my dinner - two kinds of roasted Brussels sprouts (stripped the stalk - there were a lot), dry tuvar dal (pigeon peas), kadhi (yogurt “soup”), and kheema aloo (ground turkey with potatoes, not pictured). Carb is basmati+quinoa mix.

14 Likes

My fig has no more leaves now, I am in zone 8a.

Some of the last harvest, I believe. Still a lot of greens tomates. A very cold storm tonight, probably will get some frost, not sure the plants could survive.

9 Likes

Your tree has been doing very well with all those olives! Jealous!

1 Like

Really a lot of meat, I need vegetables soup for 2 days after that meal!

1 Like

@Rooster I second that! Another vote for spicy apple gingerbread!

2 Likes

Sunday dinner with mackerel, this time with mustard, shallot, lemon and heavy cream, with some bell pepper and artichoke.

IMG_2362

Tonight, rabbit with cider, apple, shallot, bacon, bay leaves, tarragon and butter. Cooked on stove top for 15 minutes, then 160ºC / 320º for another 25 minutes in oven.

11 Likes

Rabbit in cider, wow that sounds good. I have only enjoyed rabbit a few times but have not tried making it on my own…yet.

Thx, not bad, I should have reduced all those juice for a sauce.

Can you find rabbit easily?

A few butchers might carry it around holidays but it is likely a special order. How would you go about making the sauce from the braise liquid?

edited to add: I just dbl checked. There is a farm in NJ that sells rabbit year round. I bought duck from there once.

1 Like

Just reduce it until 3/4 of the liquid is evaporated. Don’t feel like adding cream yet (not cold enough).

2 Likes