What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

I think I will invite myself over!!
Was at Asian store 2 days , bought 2 pieces of halibut that was all they had
Will reserve that til son comes home as he loves halibut .
Thought the fish featured was sardines at first glance
Spanish makerel?
My mom marinade them with soy sauce vinegar, rice wine, ginger, garlic, spring onions nd five spice powder, Then, she pan fry them. I can almost smell them
I also love those tuna
I tried Tuna recently raw ( it was not sashimi quality but never frozen from Costco), so I froze them for 3 days to kill any parasites. I also seared them lightly as well. Served them with Yuzu Kosho for a change instead of wasabi.
. They were quite good. I added mirin, sesame oil to the Yuzu and not having any fresh citrus, I added some tart cherry juice. as the Yuzu were quite salty
Also love anchovy . Never tried them with figs. Fresh figs are a rarity. The last ones I received as gift a month ago were not tasty at all. I have sun-dried ones and have tinned anchovy. Will that work?

4 Likes

I made a big bowl. of chicken salad
It will serve me for the next few days
Poached 2 while chicken breast, shredded
5 Yukon potatoes cooked for 15 minutes still firm, cubed
3 organic gefen cooked beets , cubed
6 14.5 oz tins of fruit cocktail ( I natural juice, no sugar added) drained
mayonnaise to taste
It is protein, vegetable, fruit and carbohydrate all in one I would have used less fruit cocktail if I have a couple Granny Smith apples.

6 Likes

There’s a dearth of true NY-style bagels up here in the Boston area, unless you’re located near 2 or 3 places. It’s the one thing I miss from growing up in NJ.

3 Likes

Figs AND duck? :::fainting dead away:::: two of my favorites.

3 Likes

Smoked knackwurst, leftover kraut and zukes, and a few leftover gnocchi.

7 Likes

Rain.
Wind.
A shit-ton of both.
Frickin’ nor’easter.
Driving to and from Mom’s.
Yep.
It sucked.
Wegmans.
Quiet?
Hellz No!
Crazy-ass bizy.

Dinner decided on the fly at Wegmans, even though I just had it a day ago…roasted BISO chicken breasts slathered with a combo of olive oil, freshly grated ginger, lemon juice, lemon zest, s/p, and homemade spicy honey-mustard. Roasted until done.

Sides were Near East rice pilaf and steamed asparagus with crispy pancetta and lemon zest.

There WAS wine.

12 Likes

:disappointed: sorry to hear this Preddy. That had to be very hard

3 Likes

Dinner ended quickly, the couple was too ill to join us. Wound up with extra shrimp and salmon that they brought but didnt stay too enjoy. We were afraid to eat it since they were sick. Is it me?

Anyway, we made the most of the meal I put together and we are heading to a late movie.

I already feel guilty about tossing the food they brought, I really dislike food waste, but getting sick…ugh! Why didnt they just call and make another date…

Vent over😉
Rooster

3 Likes

Trying to finish anything perishable on hand; used the rest of the tofu for tofu veggie scramble this morning (the rest of an onion, last half a bell pepper).
Polished off the sugar snap peas with a bowl of the same soup as last night, added a few meatless balls to it instead of the tofu, topped with hemp seeds. Even less attractive than last night so no photo

3 Likes

NO! It is not you. I don’t understand why people think it’s ok to expose others to their germs in full swing. I doubt it was the food, but I can understand the reaction.

4 Likes

Curious about the good bagels in Boston now! Where?

Cooking for my friends. Love it . Rice in the pot , what I call Hawaiian chicken off the grill. Bread with grated tomato. A sweet cucumber and onion salad. Lots of wine and fly fishing. :wine_glass:Cheers.

14 Likes

Made cauliflower soup for… brunch? Super gingery to counter the crappy weather (cold +rainy). This is one of my favorite soups, and so easy, I don’t know why it isn’t in my fridge at all times.

Then off to visit extended family for a pre-Diwali celebration. Turns out it was just “kids” - all fully grown adults, ranging from 24 to 44 :joy:. Cousin spiked the special drink my aunt had made (with her blessing), but went overboard and used the wrong spirit… sigh.

Lots of (fried) snacks that I forgot to take a picture of, then a lovely dinner with many family favorites. Yummy ricotta-based dessert after.

15 Likes

Like you, I usually freeze them, maybe around 30 minute, as I don’t want it to have that frozen taste.

The anchovy confit was acid with the vinegar. I bet dried figs can work too, but they are sweeter. So maybe balance it with something more acid. I used a citrus vinegar mix that was quite sweet.

Here too, the fig season is very short, around August and September. If you like them, you can save a place in your garden for a lovely fig tree.

1 Like

I’m with you completely. I get so mad when people think it is fine to expose everyone to their germs. Just stay home! I am constantly saying this with my team, too. If you are sick, stay home or work from home. Don’t come in here and get us all sick!!! And I would toss the food also.

4 Likes

Why didnt they take their food back home? LOL, as I tossed it I thought…awkward!

I want all of that. Tell us more about the chicken.

Oh wow!

Right! It all looks so good. I have a lot of chicken in the freezer. Now I know what direction to go. Thanks emglow

1 Like

The possibility to reheat the food would be enough to kill the germs? Give them to the outdoor dogs and cats if they don’t taste good anymore.