What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Chiveche de Pescado…

Tuna, and Corvina with Limon, Red Jalapenos, salt , sugar, pepper, shallots and some EVOO and some minced cilantro…very delicious!

11 Likes

On Point Dan!

1 Like

Be careful as to how much time you spend here! “don’t waste your time”…It takes time to be here and “muy amable”

looks great! can’t quite make it out, are those woodear mushrooms?

1 Like

In DC, I would check out Taqueria Habañero, Baan Thai, Zenebech, DGS Delicatessen, and Convivial or Mintwood Place. My husband recommends Federalist Pig, Le Diplomate, Mi Cuba, Copycat, and Panda Gourmet. Dolan Uyghur is also very interesting - it can be hit or miss. We moved away a year ago, so take them for what it’s worth.

Chilies :smiley:

Another “something from nothing” meal: black bean stew with leftover quinoa, taqueria red salsa, and soffrito, onion, garlic, green bell pepper and jalapeño that were languishing in the crisper, fire-roasted tomatoes, chorizo, chicken broth, cumin, and bay leaf.

Pecorino and cream-cheesed spaghetti squash on the side.

10 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Diet suggestion for alpha gal syndrome ( lone star tick bite )

Thank you! I fear I won’t get away to explore DC much this weekend. I lived there for 8 years (late 70’s/early 80’s) and am going for homecoming/ 40 th anniversary.

Thanks! Still staring down the tray of deliciousness waiting for my bandmates to show. The rest of dinner is their job, lol…could be anything!

1 Like

Cool, Howard U?

Yaaaaas! And Howard knows how to throw a homecoming! I went for my sister’s when I was in high school, and didn’t come back home!

2 Likes

Last night, I took out a frozen Chicken Pot Pie I had made as a Mom meal to defrost. In fact, I took out two - one for tonight’s dinner, one for tomorrow’s lunch, as I head back to work after 4 days of PTO.

No pics. But there WAS wine. Two glasses.

And GO SOX in Game 1 of the World Series!

6 Likes

fainting from wanting to try this pizza! Oh MY!

1 Like

The times I am on here are not times I could be cooking. I have a toddler and work full time. I like to hang out with her and not spend an hour every night cooking.

3 Likes

The struggle is real!

No offense, but that was not the most sensitive response you received. Sounded awfully close to mansplaining how simple it is making time to cook to the busy mother of a toddler.

ANYway…

What are your go-to meals lately? I work from home and even so, getting dinner on the table is a real challenge sometimes. Glad you are here contributing.

5 Likes

Many of my favorite meals were something from nothing. I think there is an added level of satisfaction whipping up something good from what ever is available. Which sometimes isn’t much and sometimes bountiful

6 Likes

Just like tonight. Leftover sausage from my pizza adventure. Tossed into last night’s rice that I had with salmon . Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers

6 Likes

Went to the new H mart today, impressive how they still managed to make it a claustrophobic tiny crammed together layout even in a larger space!
No purple skin sweet potatoes… settled for the little asian sweet potatoes, somehow i think the little ones are sweeter than the big ones.
Steamed with a good glob of (vegan) butter and some everything seasoning. Side of the daikon banchan i love.

I giggled to see this individual bottle of sweet wine- there was a little hotel shop where we sould stay in Seoul and i became very fond of drinking this in my hotel room at the end of the day while finishing up work. But it was about $2 USD in seoul, and $9 here

Picked up this multi serving bottle of slightly lemon flavor maakolli (sp?) instead, same price, nice slight fizz to it

I LOVE any rice pastry style dessert like these, i’ll have a few with my tea later. I think it’s a sweet bean filling and sesame outsides

12 Likes

I skipped lunch by mistake, so was starving as I grocery shopped for just a couple of things… also annoyed at the bare Monday shelves :rage:

Came home and scarfed down the remaining burrata with heirloom cherry tomatoes tossed with a tiny bit of zhoug. Hit the spot.

Later I made the intended meal - cauliflower cheese. Love this, and it was perfect for the chilly weather we have been having.

13 Likes