What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

I did the slow slide into retirement… I didnt want to leave. If they find a way to contract my time, I’ll hop on a side piece and go while my lady is still clocking in hours herself. I imagine once we are both free it will be more fun.

Just made a batch of oatmeal cookies for my niece. She wants me to start giving her guitar lessons…we’ll see.:wink:

3 Likes

Cold day, perfect for roast chicken. Yellow squash, kennebec potatoes, and purple sweet potatoes were thrown into the cast iron skillet and roasted along with the chicken. Every 10 minutes I would baste everything with the juices. Chicken was seasoned and dried in the fridge overnight. Very good, but the sweet potatoes were overdone. Will cut them larger next time.

10 Likes

Yep - garlic, ginger, scallions, chicken broth, doubanjiang, shaoxing wine, potato starch, dash of sugar/honey, facing heaven chilies, fermented black beans, soy sauce…I think that was most of it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great meals!

Sounds fab. Nice to see you!

1 Like

Egg drop soup and frozen dumplings 2 ways. Easy peasy.

9 Likes

Oh yeah - Sichuan peppercorn

1 Like

Wow! You and @emglow101 are making some gorgeous pizzas! I love a bit of fresh arugula on top too

2 Likes

Purple sweet potatoes?? Not sure i have seen those before! Do you find them at a farmers market?

Needed some salad tonight, the rest of the beans and rice and hippie soup have been banished to the freezer. Simple lettuce with vinegrette, cucumber, black olives, bell pepper with lots of hemp seeds and some trader joe everyday seasoning.
A few hideous meatless balls and big mug of miso broth not picture worthy

I succumbed to the dollar bag of dark chocolate peanut butter cups at trader joe’s, so i’ll likely have one or two as dessert with my tea

ETA: anyone with good idea about where to eat in Philly please see my post on that board!

7 Likes

I see them at Asian grocery stores almost all the time. But NC is a big sweet potato producer!

1 Like

WF has them as purple yams right now.

1 Like

I’ll have to look for them… don’t recall seeing those before here.

Hhmm. I was just at WF at 125th yesterday and didn’t see them (or the jerusalem artichokes i was hoping for), but i’ll have to try another location

Odd but tasty dinner tonight. Quick mushroom chili noodles using indian seviyan which is wheat vermicelli / angel hair pasta - I have the broken kind at the moment, looks like spanish fideos. No pic bec I was starving :wink:

3 Likes

They’re on Instacart. Call Col circle - I’ve seen it there before, and they are nice about calling other stores to figure it out if they don’t have it.

1 Like

A freind caught this Chinook salmon on the Nehalem river in Oregon. Sauteeing in butter and basting . I requested the belly fat for me. Rice , artichokes. Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers .

12 Likes

And… first persimmon of the season. Yum!

11 Likes

Bone in pork butt was on sale this weekend for 99 cents/lb. Major craving for pork chile verde! Fired up the pressure cooker, final product not very photogenic, but mighty tasty!

11 Likes

Love also your avatar icon!

3 Likes