What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

Well I finally caved in. Fall fell here with a big fat THUD. First big batch of soup for the season… made a big batch of veg stock first, lots went to the freezer for future soup-ing. Stock had the big bag of random from the freezer including some fennel tops, celery leaves, onion, and i added in carrot, some dried mushrooms, garlic and bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and peppercorns.
Soup had tomato paste, onion, the broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tempeh, corn, and a bag of chopped mixed greens. Added zucchini at the last minute.
Tonight topped my bowl with some hemp seeds. I ate the rest of the falafel crispies while cooking so they never made it to the soup! Some will definitely go in the freezer, must have another six meals worth left

Now that it gets dark earlier photos are extra terrible, but you get the idea

12 Likes

I found a package with 4 short ribs 50% off at Safeway tonight, so I made Stroganoff in the pressure cooker with last of the mushrooms and bit of beef stock. One hour later finished it with a glob of sour cream. Hubby and Small Girl Child ate it with butter egg noodles, I had mine plain. Hubby said, “You need to make this again.”

12 Likes

Is here an online recipe? This sounds good and I need to start using my pressure cooker more.

Not a recipe per see more of a method. I make Stroganoff with bits of leftovers. Here goes:
1-2 pounds beef (a tough cut; fatty brisket, ribs, chuck, etc.) seared in the pressure cooker with oil.
1-11/2 onion, diced (not necessary, but good)
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced (any variety)
1 -11/2 cups beef broth/stock (depends on how soupy you want it to be at end)
1 T. Worcester sauce
1 Bay leaf
Salt and pepper
After the meat is seared add the next ingredients and cooker high pressure for 60-75 minutes with a natural release.
Fish out the beef and shred it. Simmer down the sauce if you want to.
1/2 c. Sour cream (stir in off the heat)
Serve over noodles or rice.
Hope this gives you a place to start. YMMV.

5 Likes

Thank you!

Small New York steak . Sauteed in butter and olive oil. Finished with some fresh thyme. Potato rubbed with butter and salt before baking . Cauliflower braised in crushed tomatoes. Wine to drink .:wine_glass:Cheers

10 Likes

“Absence of the Dijon make the mustard grow fonder”
Perhaps when next in Paris we can share a glass of wine together?

1 Like

We do have access locally here in NYC to Maille mustards, just not the “Fins Gourmet”. I find the Fins a but softer that the regular version.
My simple go to vinaigrette:
1 Tsp of Mustard
2 Tbls of red wine vinegar
4 Tbls of EVOO
S&P
1 small minced shallot
1 Tbls of Capers
Mix mustard and vinegar together with a wisp, ,slowly add oil to emulsify, S&P add Shallot and capers. Mix gently, and spoon over greens.

6 Likes

I continue to hunt for something that my suddenly picky 1 year old will eat with the same gusto she has for bread and blueberries. Last night I made a modified version of this - https://www.mygourmetconnection.com/creamy-parmesan-baked-pasta-greens/

I added broccoli and arugula since I only had one small head of escarole. Added a leek and reduced the parm cheese since I ran out and used veggie stock. It was quite tasty and felt seasonally appropriate. The baby fell asleep before it was ready so I am hoping she eats the leftovers today! The pictures aren’t much to brag about.

11 Likes

I feel your pain! Keep offering! And remember, “hunger is the best sauce.” Are you familiar with Ellyn Satter? Her feeding philosophy helps keep me sane and consistent https://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/resources-and-links-for-the-public/#Feeding%20children

4 Likes

I have not seen that site before. Thank you! I will check it out.

Why not?!

As for my version of mustard vinaigrette, I sometimes add some honey.

As a matter of fact I will be making some for tonight’s meal. Bought a 4 lb rotisserie chicken yesterday, (generally they are only 3 lbs or so, but this jumbo was only $6, great bargain for $1.50/lb for cooked food) and will serve it up with some greens or as my son calls it “Chicken
Nicoise”…Basically just the same but replace the tuna with that of the chicken, de-boned.
And …yes I use this as my basic, but will also change up the mustard and use the grainer mustards, some honey, and even mix in some truffle oil.

4 Likes

Soup and warm crusty bread. In the pot, Chicken stock we had on hand, leftover roasted chicken pcs., TJs mini stuffed potstickers, diced carrots, handful of fresh spinach, fresh ginger slice, roasted garlic clove. Crusty olive oil and rosemary bread from Wegman’s bakery dept. I’ll drizzle with garlic butter and warm up. Nice Fall day today.

Picked up pick your own B sprouts from the apple orchard along with a few lbs. of golden delicious.

Cheers,
Rooster

8 Likes

Salmon with herbed breadcrumbs and sautéed pea leaves.

The method was meant for thin white fish (trout etc) but was still delicious with salmon.

15 Likes

A burger and hand cut fries tonight. There are times when it beats out filet. Lots!

9 Likes

Leftover enchiladas tonight. I brought a small tray to the friend with the baby and gave her the last of the beautiful arugula, sniff. The things we do for love.

8 Likes

One guess what’s inside…

Yup!!

Funny how they put five in the bag yet i got home with three…?

Had the others for dinner with a mug of my Ugly Tasty Soup from yesterday with a few hideous meatless balls, and some bell pepper for crunchy veggies. Crazy bubbly kombucha a la carte

11 Likes

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole? I cleaned out fridge of all the leftover cooked things. There is also some mushrooms and broccoli tossed in too. It’s a bit soupy (I used to much chicken stock). But it tastes good.

10 Likes

Tonight was my easy Singapore style Chicken Rice. We like the poached chicken version, but prefer the roast chicken style. My weekday cheat is to use a Costco rotisserie chicken. :wink:

Rice was lots of chopped garlic and sliced ginger, some of the chicken fat/skin from the chicken, chicken broth and some knotted pandan leaves.

For the chicken, I mix light soy sauce with a teaspoon or so of sesame oil, and some chicken broth. I add chopped green onion (you can skip them, but it’s how my favorite HCR shop in Singapore used to serve theirs). Chicken is served at room temp. I spoon the soy mixture over the chicken and let it sit until serving time.

I made a quick soup with the chicken carcass and some smashed ginger and salt in my Instant Pot while the rice cooked.

I make my own chicken rice chilli sauce usually, but when I don’t have time, we use the Yeo’s Singapore Chilli sauce.

16 Likes