What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

That looks and sounds so good! And I see potatoes at the bottom of the pan soaking up all the goodness… yum!

2 Likes

The chicken looks amazing.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, they were tasty, but not crispy as they were in the broth. i was kinda hoping because I used less broth that it would evaporate and the potatoes would crisp up some…

1 Like

So, i haven’t read through all the comments on this, but did anyone mention that apple seeds can be poisonous? certainly to dogs, but also to humans? I actually was looking it up for my sister’s dogs, who love eating the cores of her apples, when I remembered your post. you might really want to look into it before you binge again… probably a few here and there won’t hurt you but if you’re eating tons of them, you could really hurt yourself. Sorry, not to rain on your apple parade…

3 Likes

that bugs the shit out of me! ok ok i get that it’s the company and not the food or booze, but whatever! i like to eat with people who enjoy their food/drink as much as I do mine.

5 Likes

If you solve the melting/flavorbomb potatoes vs crisp potatoes conundrum I will be very excited…

2 Likes

Yaaaaassss!

1 Like

Sometimes I’ll place chunks of celery, onion and/or carrots in a layer at the bottom of the roasting pan.
The potatoes are placed on top of the other vegetables which keeps the spuds raised out of the liquid. increases air circulation for less moisture but still allows them to benefit from drippings.

6 Likes

From personal experience, yes, if you eat 8 apples with seeds, you will feel it like I did. But when someone says this to me, I say more human trials are necessary, and I will volunteer.

Right now I"m hovering at 4 a day. It’s just the right amount to build up a tolerance, in case a Bond villain captures you. (Sorry, if you’ve heard my lame joke already. I’m sure I’ve posted it here or on Chowhound before.)

5 Likes

Looks excellent. You kinda follow a recipe like I do. It’s a guide.

I don’t bake

2 Likes

I usually have these 2 in my fridge, the old style with lots of grains and the very strong one. Yours is more refined!

5 Likes

Yes and I cannot find it in the states…but I have a cousin in Paris that I visit about once a year and bring back at least 6 jars…The “Fins” is absolutely the best…

1 Like

I can send them to you if needed. But since a few years, the slow mail was abolished between the 2 countries, now it is very expensive to send things by airmail.

Crisp under the broiler before serving!

1 Like

Cider-glazed pork chops, half a tiny baker, and garlic long beans. The glaze was a combo of hard cider, cider vinegar, soy sauce, brown mustard, thyme, veggie BTB, and cornstarch slurry. Mounted with butter. Really tasty.

8 Likes

Standard eating-disordered behavior.

Looks great

Tomato and cheese focaccia.

11 Likes

Rushing to use up fresh produce in the fridge before another trip.

Made a salad of some of the pea leaves (after carefully soaking, washing, and checking them for caterpillars… yep) and sautéed the rest for later.

The fresh shiitakes and mini trumpets were also sautéed for Nobu’s Warm Mushroom Salad.

Chawanmushi to round out the meal.

15 Likes

That is very sweet of naf to offer to send it
However, Phreddy, you can buy it from Amazon . I think they are the same
I happen to run out of the multigrain first, then the 1747 dijon but found honey dijon and jalapeños Dijon in squeeze bottle last week at Harris Teeter.
The dijon 1747 is about 9.00 for 13.4 ounce Amazon Prime.
The old style multigrain ( I am not sure it is the same ) is 10 .79.
Maille Old Style Grain Dijon Mustard, 7.3 oz

We very seldom use mustard unless I make vinaigrette . I usually add lemon juice, mustard and honey to mine. I tried the honey in the squeeze bottle , came out nice. Have not used the jalapeño one yet.

1 Like