What's for Dinner #38 - the Spooky Oct '18 Edition

I’m sorry for your loss. Take care.

5 Likes

He is soooo cute

2 Likes

I made chicken enchiladas with chicken tenders started in the sauce in the slow cooker. Served with delicious farmer’s market arugula with fig balsamic vinaigrette.

I am recovering from stomach bug/flu and eating light. Still not feeling 100% but sleeping most of Saturday helped a lot. We had Chinese takeout last night (wonton soup for me).

7 Likes

Gorgeous assortment! Although, ya know, maybe not all in one day…?? ;))

2 Likes

Oh yikes, i hope you feel better soon- sleeping a lot seems to be what helps me too

2 Likes

Impromptu dinner invite when i bumped into my favorite six year old and his parents late this afternoon. They’re both fantastic cooks, he had made a big pot of (vegetarian) beany stew with lots of veggies earlier in the day so it could sit a while, and while we caught up and played legos the bread maker finished up.
Still warm slices of multi grain alongside the soup. He told me to add a glob of dijon to the soup and we passed around a jar which was brilliant- nice with the beans and something i’ll have to remember.
No phones at the table so no photo.
Fantastic meal and company :))

9 Likes

Beautiful… sorry about the bug :frowning:

Too much eating out this weekend, though mostly delicious.

Tried a new place last night, yummy but I was so annoyed when the friend who scheduled the dinner showed up and said “I’m not hungry” - wtf. So I ordered a couple of small plates and she watched me eat. Sigh.

Tonight I had dinner with a friend who came in early for a business meeting tomorrow. Went to my favorite neighborhood italian, she had my usual order of fresh pasta with cabbage and shrimp (sounds weird, tastes amazing), I had the special app of mussels in a tomato sauce as my main, as I was still reeling from dim sum lunch, tea and snacks with friends after, and a slice of delectable homemade chocolate ganache cake before I left them because they insisted I eat dessert if I wasn’t staying for the dinner that had been cooked :joy:

Before all the outside meals kicked off, a homey meal of kheema paratha (flatbread stuffed with ground lamb) with yogurt and tomato pickle from a few days ago (courtesy mom, lest you think I have those paratha-making skills…)

14 Likes

Yummm

Ohhhh yeahhhh warm bread :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Met my cousin and his wife for a beer earlier. The place I had wanted to go to dinner was closed so we picked up a fillet of grouper and had dinner at home. Improvised with what we had on hand and came up with grouper piccata and salad. I think we came out ahead

12 Likes

Woah, your mom has some serious skills!
That’s definitely weird to meet for dinner and then not, ya know, order anything… (nasty hangover??) sunday dim sum is always fun even if it is hectic and vaguely stressful

2 Likes

Standard indian mom skills :smile:

Ya know, this is the same friend who schedules drinks at a wine bar and then drinks only water… And wants to go to new/hot restaurants and then isn’t hungry or orders a tiny plain salad or a side… it drives me NUTS. I just hadn’t seen her in long enough that I… forgot? :joy:

And I SKIPPED dinner with food-loving friends at a favorite spot to see her. So I was doubly mad.

I could just as easily have met her for a catch-up over coffee or a long walk in the park.

7 Likes

Playing the Dijon mustard card again?..I love it!

1 Like

Yogurt homemade?

The pork butt came out really tasty. Six hours low and slow. Rubbed with the spice blend @grace recommended and glazed with a hoisin lime mixture. Once shredded, I earmarked leftovers for tonights mock version of shepp pie. This morning I whipped potatoes and roasted carrots. The shredded pork and frozen baby peas layered should repurpose the pork nicely.

I was hoping to return to the orchard for more apples and stalks of B sprouts but its cold and crummy out right now.

Happy Monday,
Rooster

10 Likes

I know! I swear it was his idea and of course i was very enthusiastic

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:
You’re killing me.

I kinda followed this Taste recipe for a roast chicken dinner, deviating from my usual Thomas Keller (just salt and high heat). I had no kale, so did all arugula and added parsley & cilantro, subbed shallots for the red onions, added green onion white ends cuz they had to be used, and accidentally only used two serranos - four would have been perfect. but the combo of the serranos, the spices (i used exactly what the recipe called for), and the lime juice made for a very flavorful bird, and the skin did crisp up (i only used 3/4 cup of broth instead of 2 cups) – I think I went for about 1 hr. 45 mins. i only got to marinate it for 2 hours, i’d definitely go longer next time.

https://www.tastecooking.com/103003-2/?fbclid=IwAR3nfhE3-OfOIxVkyuwwtZHINmJzMc3I0qp_uZB_ksDr6wUUC2uzQItrGS0

14 Likes