What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Finally having some dry days with a little lower humidity. So nice to see sunshine!

Put in a lot of time working outdoors today so went light for dinner. Had a perfect avocado which paired nicely with tomato and Dukes mayo on toasted seeded wheat bread. Carrot and celery sticks on the side. Three clementines for dessert.

Somehow I think dark chocolate will be calling me later.

11 Likes

Last night was teriyaki pork tenderloin, quinoa with edamame, cucumber salad, and broccoli with soy butter:

Tonight we made butternut squash cups topped with chili, broiled cheese, sour cream, jalapeño, tomatoes, and organic Fritos :joy:

14 Likes

Long day - some antique apple picking for myself (Cox Orange Pippen, Rhode Island Greening, Northern Spy and Red Staymans). Smolak Farms has a Magical Pumpkin Tree, too. :wink:

Shopping for work stuff, shopping for Mom, baking for Mom (she had asked for a small apple pie if I went apple picking), paperwork for Mom, before I visit her tomorrow morning.

Dinner was late - a roasted half chicken seasoned with olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, dried parsley and tarragon, salt/pepper. Sour cream mashed potatoes, and peas. Wine.

My deck tomatoes are still producing, somehow. The plants are scraggly and haven’t been tended, so I’m not sure why. But okey-dokey.

19 Likes

There has been a LOT of watermelon in my life lately! :smile:
Last night was a big Salad of All the Things, red and yellow bell peppers, scallions, cilantro, cucumber, the last lonely bit of celery and smoked tofu. Added a miso tahini dressing after the pic. Kombucha a la carte

Gorgeous fall day here today too! Went for a long bike ride to chinatown and picked up a few things. Was excited to stumble on a bakery that makes those fresh rice noodle rolls i love- i ordered one with vegetables, at first was upset and thought the orange was from little dried shrimp but it’s actually shredded carrot with lots of mushrooms. And my overly generous pour of soy sauce. Made for a tasty early dinner, had a bunch of sugar snap peas on the side

I’ll certainly have some watermelon for dessert, might open my new sesame mochi- i love these so muchimage

11 Likes

Good on you! I’d believe that watermelon was $15- it looks much larger than the one that this woman bought.

1 Like

I love fresh rice rolls! I like mine with shrimp and green onion though…

3 Likes

Flaked up the last of the cold steelhead into a big salad for dinner tonight. Start fresh tomorrow

3 Likes

You need to watch season 2 episode 4 . The Cravings on Netflix. Subtitled. Great watermelon scenes .

1 Like

Very hot here in Turin and craving meat pie so made a Cornish pasty and one of a while series of veg platters

22 Likes

Thanks! I’ll look it up, haven’t watched that series (yet)

Lake Perch and lemon scented rissotto in Bellagio Italy.

17 Likes

Yes!!! Have a great trip

1 Like

I made Moms Lemon Pot Roast with mashed spuds and B sprouts. Vino and lemon sorbet.
@Linda-delicious!!!

8 Likes

Up early to head to Mom’s. My several days of shopping was mostly successful. She didn’t like some things (warm pants, a floral comforter), but when I came back after her midday dinner with another geometric-patterned quilt for her bed, I got a thumbs up on that one. Score!

Got home to make Chicken-Corn Chowder. I also made some homemade spicy honey mustard. I was trying to imitate the Honey-Crunch Mustard, but came up with something much spicier. I’m going to let it mellow in the fridge for several days before trying it out. The heat is definitely more than I prefer, so I’m hoping the mellowing happens to my taste. Maybe I can mix in additional honey if not quite there. but it could be a good little giftie for coworkers at Christmastime.

So dinner was the chowdah, a crusty roll, and wine. Back to work tomorrow.

9 Likes

Oh, I’m SO happy you enjoyed it! I’ll let Mom know another “online food person” (as she calls you all) liked it. LOL

6 Likes

I made grilled Vietnamese lemongrass chicken, cabbage stir-fried with fish sauce, garlic, scallion, and jalapeño, grilled broccoli, and leftover quinoa with edamame. Need to give hubby a break from the Asian flavors for a little while…20180923_195430

11 Likes

Lemongrass!! Sipping the tea as I type! Nice plating!

It’s addictive. Also helps that I got a tub of pre-chopped from my local Asian market - need to use it up. I am going to check out your thread on the topic now for more ideas.

1 Like

Both look wonderful!

Anybody know where to eat in Rhodes, Greece?