What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

I had Wild Ahi Tuna Loin last week from Harris Teeter, ate it sashimi style using wasabi and soy . I am not fond of prepared ginger
Called the fish dept if they still has it on sale, told to call back tomorrow. .
Fish monger says it is not recommended to eat these raw .
They were frozen previously. but thawed
My knowledge is that if wild tuna is to be eaten raw, has to be frozen first to kill parasites.
So, am looking into it, perhaps sear it and add per Serious Eats that this is a great sauce

Red and Green Yuzu Kosho Duo

Pricey at $15.00 Amazon Prime
I understand there are only 2 tablespoonful per package
Anyone has had any experience with it ?
Is it worth it?
Thanks

1 Like

I’ve tried the green - quite salty, spicy, and good.

Super quickie - cheese ravioli with marinara and California blend with butter and Parm.

4 Likes

how did you use it?
I understand just the size of a peppercorn to add to your food?
I thought it may be great to add to seared tuna but hope it snot too salty

I made this http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-chicken-thighs-with-spicy-miso-mayo

I don’t recall it being all that potent. I even have an unopened jar now.

Had a big lunch that involved the delicious beans and rice i got from the dominican place i love, still full hours later…!
I am totally panicking that our precious few months of good produce are evaporating quickly, so i went with some raw veggies that i scooped into some kite hill herb ricotta I scored on sale. Bell peppers and a stupid jicama that tasted like a dry potato, sprinkled with that fancy black salt. Stupid nyc doesn’t have fresh not crappy or old jicama anywhere i swear! Kombucha a la carte

4 Likes

Made some meatloaf using this recipe:

Pretty easy to make in the food processor. It came out pretty well.

10 Likes

Looked moist and delicious! Congrats!

2 Likes

These days I was cleaning the wood deck in the patio that haven’t been attended for years. Tough work with all the cleaning products, brighteners and straining etc. I got half the deck done. Apparently the thin silicone gloves was not enough to protect vs the chemical, today the skin of my hands get all irritated, super itchy.

Sunday meal was a ceviche, with white merling, marinated with grapefruit, pomegranate and dill. OK, some lemon juice would be even better.

Yesterday, dinner was octopus, cooked in a pan with paprika, black pepper, garden tomatoes, fish sauce, coriander and lime juice - yum!

12 Likes

Flavored croutons as a binder…very interesting…I will give it a try, as I normally use just old bread as the binder.

Already in plans for lemongrass infused cod with roasted veg pilaf and pear salad.

Lemongrass has such a great light perfume.

3 Likes

Good idea, I have a few fish filets right now, lemongrass infusion is the way to go.

2 Likes

Yeah that was a novel idea for me as well - I think you have to keep an eye on saltiness though as store bought croutons can have different salt levels.

Yes I agree…but was the meatloaf salty?
One of the other secret items I add is instant mashed potatoes, if I am using meat that is less than 90/10% meat to fat…I find the potatoes act as a nice binder without adding any flavor or texture where as too much bread becomes noticeable…I learned this in a school in Paris…

2 Likes

Tonight the meal is a traditional meal that I can remember for the last 50 or so years on the eve of Yom Kipper.
A whole roasted chicken…(modern version spatch cocked) some carrots with brown sugar, a salad of lettuce , tomatoes, cucumber and a vinaigrette…and some roasted potatoes in the roasting pan…This light meal as tomorrow is a fast day. Although I no longer fast, due to taking old persons drugs…I essentially break the fast at 8am with those pills and a glass of water. But I keep the faith and really abstain from eating anything I like all day until sunset… About 6:30 PM…It will be an everything bagel, with vegetable cream cheese, sliced tomato, thin sliced red onion and about a 1/4 lb of home made Gravlax…
I wish that all here that partake in our ongoing conversations to be inscribed on the Book Of Life to that page for a year filled with health, happiness, wealth and Love!
La Shana Tova!

16 Likes

It turned out to have just about the right saltiness for me. I probably should have fried up a little bit in a pan to test though.

2 Likes

OK…It is something I will experiment with…

I’ve always been happy with alton brown’s recipes, even the ones that take forever (ahem, homemade green bean casserole with multiple sub-recipes), he’s known for intense recipe testing-unfortunately becoming less and less common from other sources

1 Like

And he’s updating some of the old Good Eats episodes and will be recording new episodes in 2019!
People sometimes find his recipes too salty, but that might be because they use table salt and Alton uses Diamond Crystal kosher salt, which is about half as salty as table salt.

1 Like

Brown-butter perch, grilled asparagus, salad with honey-dijon vinaigrette, and cauliflower rice pilaf.

8 Likes