What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Wow, gp. Thoughts be with you. Our son is an hour from you and we still followed the news since it happened. Resourceful use of cooking equpment! Peace.

2 Likes

Thank goodness! That is such a scary situation.

2 Likes

@grumpyspatient VERY glad to hear your home wasn’t damaged, and glad you’re back in your home. Fingers crossed they get the gas turned back on for you very soon. Thankfully you have the grill and oven! Enjoy that pulled pork tonight!

My workplace was affected, having to evacuate on Thursday afternoon, as they told us our electricity was going to be shut off. So servers were powered down and I pushed people out the door around 5:30 in the evening. Turns out we never lost power, so we were without for just overnight and Friday morning - back up and running around 10:30 a.m. But several houses were damaged by fire just a couple of blocks from our building. The entire situation was so very frightening.

9 Likes

I never had success with the drinking version because the toasted marshmallow deflates fast. Better to drink a Baileys chaser🤪

2 Likes

Lovely, thanks a lot!

He’s not caring about blending in, is he?

1 Like

Homemade chicken pho with beef lemongrass meatballs, rice noodles, shredded lettuce, cilantro, and scallions. Hoisin and sriracha a la carte.

15 Likes

Defrosting the lemongrass as we speak. That looks great.

2 Likes

Yummy for the Tummy!

1 Like

Why is it chicken pho, when it was with beef meat balls? Should be beef pho, no?

You got those metal spoons, just like in Vietnam!

Complete change of plans for dinner. I failed to realize how much lime juice I need for tequila lime chicken- I didn’t feel like going out to get more limes, so I made a lower fat version of chicken pot pie, which turned out really good. Chicken pot pie had evaporated milk in it instead of a creamy type sauce made with a bunch of butter. I used a biscuit topping instead of pastry and no pastry bottom. Very good! Recipe came from Looneyspoons.

8 Likes

Bleah. Disappointing Patriots game.

Dinner was a chicken breast marinated in olive oil, honey-crunch mustard, lemon juice, minced garlic, Penzeys’ fine herbs, dried parsley. salt and pepper. Pan-sauteed until done.

Pappardelle in a ricotta-herb cream sauce. I figured this wasn’t going to work because of how ricotta doesn’t blend smoothly, but I wanted to get it out of my freezer. Combination of ricotta cheese, egg, and parsley was mixed with heavy cream, more dried herbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper, grated Parm-Reg and pasta water.

Salad was sliced cukes with slices of my last tomato grown in my deck garden. Dressing was Creamy Peppercorn-Herb dressing.

Wine.

Only one day of work next week - Monday. The rest taken up with Mom appts., some appts. of my own, and hopefully 1 day of antiquing.

An early afternoon pic of the boyz lazing on a sunny (Sunday) afternoon (sans catnip, I might add). The Kinks have got nothing on Finn and Alfie.

17 Likes

Because I had a chicken carcass and lb. of ground beef to use. Broth recipe here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

2 Likes

oh they are so cute. makes me want to take a nap!

3 Likes

Weird hot today, and due to a parade plus several street fairs my afternoon bike ride was sweaty and stressful! The various detours took me by a little farmers market and somehow i managed to get my tomatoes home without squashing them. Just some salt, cilantro, and a bit of peppery mix. Some of those hideous tasty chickenless things on the side with a bit of soy sauce, the last handful of pita chips and my kombucha.
Also scored a huge (expensive!) honeycrisp at the market, will probably have some sliced with almond butter and my tea.

7 Likes

???

Gorgeous! Exactly what home cooking should be.

I also use the pressure cooker these days when I have just a carcass. I add the sugar and fish sauce after pressure cooking, though. I wonder how it affects the flavor. In any case, I’m gonna get out some frozen pho broth now and it’s all your fault.

2 Likes

These things, very un-photogenic!
https://lightlife.com/products/smart-tenders-savory-chickn

1 Like

Aw, thanks. I feel like I am winning at life when I make something from almost nothing. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s Steak pizzaiola with warmed crusty bread, lots of grated parm, rigatoni and green salad sides. Vino and eclairs for dessert. The house smells of childhood food memories. :wine_glass:cheers!

5 Likes