What's for Dinner #37 - the School's Back! Sept '18 Edition

Great, can’t wait to see your food adventures!

More Greek meal. I tried this time, Diane Kochilas’ Pork Exohiko recipe. A lot of ingredients: marinated pork with white wine, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and olive oil. Made several parchment parcel, each packed with a few pieces of pork, seasoned with minced garlic, sage, branches of rosemary, sliced leek, lemon zest, cubes of parmesan, paprika with some chilli pepper, salt and pepper…

It was OK, slightly disappointed, as with the preparation I had high anticipation. The meat was moist, but we felt rosemary and maybe the garlic too overwhelming (10 cloves in the recipe!) and a bit lack of focus in taste with so many different ingredients. Maybe should use either sage or rosemary but not the two! The 1 inch cube cheese with the heat and long cooking was deconstructed (past the melted stage).

If anybody made Exohiko before and had a good recipe, please share.

Salad with figs and chèvre with a honey, mustard, lemon juice sauce.

11 Likes

I like the explanation of “dry” in the wine menu, haha. What’s the name of this bar?

And it showed the acidity and sugar ratio. It seems the US riesling has much higher residual sugar than European ones.

Like to have some Riesling from time to time. But not always had a good one though, acidity wasn’t always right.

Wow…what years?..Have you been back there to visit?..It has changed…but not in a bad way.

Rainy day , felt like soup …leftover from Monday night.

8 Likes

Their wine menu is very unusual to show the acidity and such, and only for the reislings, not listed for the other wines. It’s called Terroir, i’ve been a fan since they opened in the east village many years ago. Always unique selection and knowledgeable staff
http://www.wineisterroir.com

1 Like

1959 until about '77, but lived in the Bronx from 84-88, and visited my parents there very frequently. It was changing in a NOT good way at the time.

Haven’t been back much since my parents died in the late nineties, and we sold our house; even when I’m in other parts of NYC.

I get to Brooklyn much more frequently, where I spent a lot of my childhood ( Bed Stuy) as well. Lot of changes in Brooklyn!

Can you direct me somewhere to catch up? I do read about Addisleigh Park fairly regularly, which was blocks away, and where I spent time with friends.

Not 100% sure where I can direct you too…but on Facebook they have many community group pages…for instance I am on one for Glen Oaks/Floral Park/ Bellerose…From there I have connected with many old friends and they have directed me to other pages…

1 Like

Hey there WFD crowd - head on over to the fall nomination thread for Cuisine of the Quarter when you have a moment and give us some food for thought! Fall 2018 (Oct-Dec) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

3 Likes

Ours was made on Saturday and I had some last night, and have some more to put on leftover ratatouille today at lunch. Still great. just needs a few stirs as it browns a little.

2 Likes

So, the Tuna for lunch was to be used for dinner, but son left prior to dinner, took half the tub of spicy chicken wings to eat in the car on his way to Home Depot.
Had small amount of Tuna before bedtime, rest of the chicken wings
So, I invited my neighbor over for sashimi but she is planning to bring her hubby along
Decide, there may not be enough sashimi,. So, will also serve cataplana with wild cod and mahogany clams, a few Argentine shrimp as my Cataplana is good enough for 3 with left overs, or I have the use the next size up which is too big as it is for 6-7 people or more. Hate to use 2 cataplanas as I do have a another one for my son to use when he cooks at the beach.
Here is a picture of the sofritto I am cooking , it will simmer for another 30 minutes
I am only using a fraction 1/3 of it for the Cataplana today , will freeze the rest.
Caramelized onions, shredded carrots, green peppers, jaalapena, shredded tomatoes, garlic, browned and drained 1 lb each of andouille and maple sausage ( by mistake, ) a few sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, 2 tbsp of tomato paste, oregano, zest of 2 lemons , before adding Ito the cataplana with the the wild cod, mahogany clams, a few Argentine shrimp . Picture shows the different layers with the soffrito at the bottom. Then, I will add some shrimp broth with smoked Spanish paprika, and a pinch of saffron, basil and rosemary on top before steaming. It takes between 9-14 minutes depending on how loaded it is. To be served with lemon and

jalapeño cheese bread
Picture is the soffrito being cooked further, then the different layers

13 Likes

You’re a good neighbor - hope you all stay safe as Florence comes by! And fingers crossed for no flooding.

6 Likes

The location mentioned in your link is in Tribeca. Do they still have a location in the East Village? We’ll be in Manhattan in 10 days or so, and I definitely intend to check out those garlic knots!

Had stir-fried tofu with leftover nuoc cham. Dieting is no fun. Better to diet before the holiday season than after, though, I guess.

It doesn’t help that we have this sitting in the fridge. The kid earned it based on some deal we made long time ago, never thought it would come true.

13 Likes

Unfortunately no, that closed many years ago now so now the tribeca location is the only permanent spot, and they have a seasonal popup on the highline near 16th st with an abbreviated menu and surprisingly uncomfortable communal picnic tables.
Post on the nyc board when your trip is and where you’re staying if you’re looking for more suggestions- fall here is great time to come!

Dinner was Sausage, peppers and ww spaghetti with crusty bread and vino. Actually lit a fire and toasted marshmallows. We had boozy s’mores, a nifty after gig treat I learned on tour with my road crew.

My wife and I hope everyone dealing with storms and weather related issues are safe and sound! We are sending you all good thoughts.

Cheers!

9 Likes

Our/my problem is not that we are lacking in places to go, but that there are too many places we/I want to go to. Problems, problems!

3 Likes

Vegetarian meatballs heated in marinara as an app with friends, then later: a “jerk chicken” pizza with peppers, onions, and a flaky pie-crust like crust and homegrown tomatoes with good balsamic, olive oil, garden basil, and flaky salt.

9 Likes

Good idea!

High quality problems :grin:

Do tell!

1 Like