What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

A lightened-up version of chicken cordon bleu with steamed asparagus and lemon juice on the side.
Instead of stuffing, rolling, breading and frying the chicken, it’s served open-faced with prosciutto, Dijon mustard and mozzarella cheese. Adapted from:

8 Likes

That sounds great. Was it good?

I do a modified version, pan fried chicken breast that are sliced thin dipped in egg, sweet potato flour, then panko :parmesan 2:1, then mozzarella and parmesan on top, oven for a few minutes until cheese melts. This is Kenji Lopez recipe and his sauce that takes 6 hours to cook but I usually cook a batch freeze what ever I do not need.

1 Like

Epic travel day yesterday since i spent a few hours in the airport in austin texas and then it’s an hour and half drive from where i land to my parents’ house.
Iced espresso with soy and biscoff waiting for my luggage

My nephew came along to pick me up because there was a promise of In n Out- i shared some fries with my mom, i thought the aftermath of my nephew’s early dinner was comical

I just had wine -the stem glasses scare me, they’re crazy delicate- and then i put a serious dent in the gorgeous strawberries that grow about a ten minute drive away, so they’re picked when they’re actually ripe.

9 Likes

Come St Patrick’s day net year, I will try their corned beeef
I buy most of my grocery from Costco if possible

1 Like

Airports are a horror.

1 Like

Great minds - I have many many of the same pink plates, pitchers, etc. And we use the same glasses for wine!

1 Like

love biscoff
forgot about them, have not seen any lately eat Costco
just came back from bringing our house guest to Dulles airport, about 2 h ours from home
hate going to airports, but I guess I have to , perhaps in another 2 weeks, have to do so again.

1 Like

Beef lahmajun topped with garden tomatoes, lettuce, lemon juice, Turkish hot pepper paste, and Armenian red pepper and yogurt dip.

12 Likes

Nice crimping!

1 Like

A lazy day.
Woke up late (9:30 a.m.)
Late breakfast (11:30 a.m.)
Watched Youtube videos.
Read.
Changed the bed.
Did laundry.
Finally cooked.

Realized I hadn’t made my Dad’s satay this summertime season, so that’s WWFD tonight: grilled chicken and veggie (onion, red bell pepper, sugar snap peas) skewers with satay sauce, on top of basmati rice. There was wine.

11 Likes

Those. Berries. :heart:

1 Like

Looks great!

First trip, we had only one night in NC and it just had to be BBQ. Can’t recall the name of the place but I do recall that, when we were returning in 2013, I checked to see if it was still open - but it wasnt.

On the second trip[, we ate at Seven Sows (now closed I think but a really good farm to table place) and Tupelo Honey (also really good eats - I’d wanted to eat there on the first trip . But, NC BBQ, you know).

Saturday I went to friends’ home for a paella party. I made pan con tomate (made several batches but still have a ton of tomatoes!) and someone else made champignones al ajillo. Lots of sangria and red wine to wash it all down. Paella was all seafood and wonderfully flavored.

Last night I made a giant rib eye that the BF and I split, corn on the cob slathered in Kerrygold, and huge FM heirloom tomatoes with fat globs of burrata. I’m going to miss all this corn!

19 Likes

What a colorful feast!

2 Likes

OMG…looks like enough for 5 or 6…How come we all were not invited?..Looks perfect!!!

2 Likes

Cow’s tongue is pretty expensive here in NYC…generally $10 to $11 / pound.
Thus a typical “Lengua” @ 3 1/2 lbs is about $35.00…
Today I went to one of the four or five supermarkets I generally shop at.
This one in particular is great for their fish. My “monger” reacts with a head shake if I ask what is good after I have picked some up…a very reliable system…I bought fresh tuna for tonight …

I then moved next door to the meat department , for which generally I only buy center cut pork chops and chicken breasts …enough said…I was looking for some lamb shanks or lamb neck…but I came across a package of Cow Heart priced at @2.99 / lb…
On second look it was Tongue! I found three packages of tongue with a total weight of about 11 pounds marked as “heart”…total cost at the register less than $32.00

The cost @ $10/lb should have been at least $100.

When I asked the worker restocking the meat cases , and showing him the package if the “heart” was $2.99…he rolled his eyes and said yes!

My guess is that he , the worker deliberately incorrectly marks the package at the wrong content and price and then has someone in his family or friend , buy the meat at a ridiculously low price…
BTW…not the first time I have had this happen to me…All of the other “Lenguas” in the case were marked at the correct price… of $9.99
So my comment…if the package is marked heart, why then would you not place the package in the with the Hearts? Why would I find the hearts with the tongues?..

The picture is that of the tongue which is in the pot boiling…one is in the freezer and one went home with the housekeeper.
Three Lengaus…$30 bucks…“Tacos de Lenguas” priceless!

10 Likes

Marinating chicken thighs in red wine , red wine vinegar, red pepper flake, a little wotcestershire , olive oil and salt for the grill. Mashed potatoes. Zucchini with garlic in the pan. Grilled red bell pepper also , peel the burnt skin off when cooked. Drizzle with oo Wine to drink . :wine_glass:Cheers

5 Likes

Beef. That’s what’s for dinner. :slight_smile:

Still learning sous vide, took out 135F, then 3 mins to get that char, it came out medium well. Next time I’ll try 125F.

9 Likes