What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Very nice!

1 Like

Chicken tikka masala with okra and naan. Fast before a concert.

9 Likes

Meathead’s Memphis Fairy Dust is my go-to too. Love his cookbook, I’ve made his pulled pork, his ribs, his pastrami and his version of Momofuku ramen - all have been winners.

Something I do when I smoke pulled pork is to put in in a container the last 2 hours or so of cooking, and catch the juices. The juices are the base for his Momofuku ramen. Clever and very, very tasty.

3 Likes

That duck is mouthwatering!

Here is the cream of broccoli soup with a splash of heavy cream on top.

5 Likes

My fridge is very sad looking right now! I made the all important stop to get bagels to bring the family this afternoon. Sesame ones for mom and my nephew, cinnamon raisin and pumpernickel for dad. Got myself a bagel for dinner of course. Everything with nondairy cream cheese, onion, pickles and not visible olives. They apparently sliced up some cornichon for the pickles! The last of the radishes and a few cucumber slices on the side.

10 Likes

Don’t think I ever had a glass of wine with scrambled eggs…

1 Like

Jamaican Beef Patties in empanada wrappers. Before baking, but after daubing with oil/tumeric/“Jamaican curry powder” mixture, per Serious Eats Jamaican Beef patty-tacos. :blush: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/jamaican-beef-taco-recipe.html

After!

IMG_20180824_201457

19 Likes

alas, I cannot sell my house ever. Hope I can move my Vulcan out one of these days but they are built to last! It took 4 workers 2010 to replace my Subzero from 3211 RFD to the Pro. Initially, we thought that was too expensive for delivery but that was how long it took for Feruguson’s 4 employees after coming to the house to determine if it could be done with a final charge of $1000 delivery fee. I was not at. home but my husband said the crew arrived arrived at 8:00AM, left at 4:00PM . Had to take 3 doors down, reassemble them, all the moldings, and one cast iron door to the kitchen, remove some tiles and reassemble the Pro which was bigger than the 3211RFD which lasted us from 1979-2010 but the freezer was still working, just the refrigerator which they suggested a new compressor. Well, we decided it needed to retire. Had served us well all those 31 years.

4 Likes

That’s devotion!

2 Likes

I follow Meathead’s recipe for smoke brisket, ribs also. It is not as easy as a butt. but mine also turns out fantastic. It takes much longer for me to cook that, esp when I have to buy a big packer’s size brisket, usually pick it up from Costco. That equates to a lot of food meaning, I have to have lots of guests. I make it for my son’s friends when they request it for their party, that way, I am relieved of the entertaining part.
Never made pastrami , in. your opinion, is pastrami better than brisket as I do not need to buy a whole brisket. I miss the pastrami that they used to sell at Costco.
If y ou place the butt in a container ( presumably foil) in the last 2 hours to catch the drippings, would that affect the crust since it wil be sitting in juice? That is our favorite part. This past butt turned out with hardly any fat. Splitting the butt also gave us more crust. One visitor brought her dog, and when I wanted to giv. him some of my dog’s treats, she says give her the fat as that will make her coat look shinier. My poms eat raw venison for breakfast, kibbles for dinner. As little fat as the venison has, I still strip every little piece of fat. They can get the fat from the duck skin which they love. Believe me, if I say we are having duck for dinner, they would refuse to eat their kibbles.

2 Likes

Freezer/fridge dive to avoid going out. Sesame scallops, scallion pancakes with dipping sauce, steamed sugar snaps with butter and mushroom soy, and tater tots. Peas were inedibly fibrous. But everything else worked.

8 Likes

I’ve been having that problem with almost all peas/green beans this summer. Maybe the weather is causing problems with the crops. Most of the ones I buy are local (NC). Perhaps it is a regional issue?

1 Like

Asparagus, eggs, tomatoes and a classic vinaigrette.

8 Likes

Long day - visit with Mom and taking my sister shopping, as she’s a single car family until her husband gets a new truck.

So I was home late, meaning dinner late. But it came out phenomenally well.

Duck Breast with a Peach Sauce, comprised of sauteed minced shallot, champagne vinegar, brandy, a chopped peach, honey, salt, pepper, Sriracha sauce and Aleppo pepper, all simmered until reduced.

Sides were Israeli couscous and steamed green beans. There was definitely wine.

Gratuitous picture of Finnegan, who has a lot of trouble relaxing in the morning after his breakfast. :wink:

2018-08-25-FinneganRelaxed2

17 Likes

Yes, 10x better, but that’s me, I’m sure others will balk. I like the flavors better and it makes killer sandwiches the next day.
You can go all out and make your own corned beef with brisket (I never have but I know it’s an arduous process) but I buy (cheap) ones at the supermarket. I know Costco sells Snake River corned beef around St. Patty’s day for around $7/lb and that’s high-quality stuff. I’m sure it’ll make a killer pastrami.

1 Like

Gorgeous crust and pink interior on that duck. Well done!

3 Likes

With my home grown peas, I had this problem when the harvest time was long due.

1 Like

Love duck breast with ss/garlic/crushed pepper and cider vinegar/
I usually serve it with fried apples in butter and EVOO, pinch of salt, brown sugar with splash of sour apple liquor.
I buy maple duck legs from Costco that comes with orange sauce but son never like the sauce despite my spiking and adding cointreau to it.

1 Like

I think ours were from CA. Harvested too late? Started happening after spring.