What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Great idea! H-Mart in Burlington,MA and I haven’t been there in awhile. Perhaps a trip this weekend.

I wished to be your neighbour too! :yum: Like the chicken. I often make that tomato dish.

3 Likes

You remind me that how glad those stove cleaning days were behind me. I would have masked the stove too.

Don’t want to find him another companion?

My solo cat :cat2: got another scratch on his other cornea. Now I am getting concerned about his colourful private life! 2 injuries in 3 weeks?!

Don’t know the reason of my recent lost of motivation to cook. Hope it wouldn’t last. Last night some rice noodles in miso soup, mussels and octopus…

9 Likes

Is there more than one - or must that be the NC one?

If the latter, then lucky you. We’ve visited the city twice and always reckoned it to be a very foody place.

2 Likes

Honestly, cooking and debris from it, go hand in hand. When we redid our kitchen 8 years ago, I opted to spend a little more and did the backsplash in granite. A lot more in cost, but better than a painted wall or worse yet the grout of a tiled backsplash. I also have another house that has four apartments, Again although the tile looks great, I went to a local sheet metal and got single piece of stainless steel, that has a brushed finish like a sink and placed it behind the 30 inch stoves, and had it made 3 inches wider on both sides. Nothing can burn and stainless steel can be cleaned with oven cleaner. Even if you were to get a piece of stainless steel and glue it to your present tiled backsplash, you would be ahead of the game…20180823_122014
The granite is highly polished, then sealed and thus non-absorbing. It is cleaned with simple soap and water.

6 Likes

Looks great. I’m jealous.

1 Like

Mine is DIY, from a big cardboard box and silver paper. Very much like in the picture I found online.

4 Likes

That’s the one! It definitely has a hoppin’ food scene and farm-to-table movement. Where did you eat? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The soup looks delicious! Has it been too hot? The heat of summer makes me less motivated in the kitchen.

You need to fit the kitty with a little camera and find out what is happening! (It would become a youtube hit!)

I wish I could. He is too fragile and tippy to deal with the “getting to know you” spats that would occur. Plus his food has several medications mixed in. It takes him a while to eat it - would be hard to keep a more dominate cat from eating it. I’d have to keep them separated for hours at a time just for the medicine issue. For now I’m his support animal!

4 Likes

My E60 electric vulcan range came with a 23" SS backsplash at the top of which is a spice shelf .
16" granites for backsplash up the Botton of the cabinet above, Cleaning is not a problem except for the aeration plates. ( the part where the French plate sits on),

They get dirty from splashing oil, soup, gravy etc, and are a pain to clean. Vulcan suggest cleaning with soap and water after using but that does not work , esp adjacent to the hot plate where I suppose the intense heat makes the powder coated surface bubble slightly, looks rough and unsightly.

I have tried all kinds of cleaner, so had them replaced 2016, ( range was purchased 1979 but since early 2000, Vulcan refuse to service nor sell parts to homeowners claiming insurance problem, ), after finding a restaurant service company who supposedly is familiar with Vulcan, but the aeration plate already looks almost as bad as they did, despite the fact that they are supposed to be powder coated.

Thought perhaps a hotplate cover similar to that of AGA might work .
If anyone has the same problem , would know how you took care of this.

1 Like

Ah but my problem is different.
Read what I answered to Phreddy
My problem is the aeration plate which s not SS but perhaps powder coated enameled cast iron, where the hot plates sits on.
They are a pain to keep neat, tried all kinds of cleanser but they still look messy, perhaps the enamel or powder coating cannot stand the spills or even the heat from the hot plate, it looks as though they are not smooth, hard to describe,
Vulcan is a genus in their design, even with the 24" griddle. I learned how to clean it as I saw the cafeteria at Hopkins clean it every day, turning it to the hottest temp, then, add a few scoops of ice which steams and sterilize that area, the hot water then goes into a side channel . Just let it dry and spray with SPAM. Since then, I never had to use my stone or soap!

Summer cooking, blech. Have to do it but my heart’s not in it. Sage infused bechamel, Trader Joe’s lagoustine heated in clarified butter w/Penzies Tuscan sunset. Bechamel dusted w/nutmeg. Whole thing served w/dusting of parm reg.
Oh, and of course wine.

11 Likes

Thanks. This week, weather cools down, it announced that this weekend will be autumn like.
I guess hot weather made me not cooking much, then I get used to being lazy. You know how those cycles go on…

I even tried to follow him, but he moved too quickly and I lost him… his double life. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yikes. It happens. Just needing to recharge the battery pack after a little rest and get back in the game

2 Likes

Veggie mapo tofu tonight. Not awful but the squash we added was fibrous and the yellow pepper just didn’t go. Oh well!

1 Like

Not bad for dispassionate cooking.

The Cali Countdown is real over here!! Flying out sat morning :grin:
I picked up garlic knots which were as amazing as always. Sides of random fridge veg that needs to be eaten with the rest of the beet hummus

7 Likes

Have a great trip! Wishing you daily perfect avocados and ripe watermelon. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

And comfortable weather! Safe travels.

2 Likes