What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

ohhhh… i’d eat that whole plate!

1 Like

We had neighbor friends over to celebrate our one-year anniversary in Asheville. We had apple-wine cocktails with cheese, pickles, and local crispbreads. Then chicken marsala (made gf), wild rice pilaf with kale, and Caprese with local mozz and homegrown tomatoes and basil.

16 Likes

Molto bella.

2 Likes

Dinner tonight is D’artagnan’s moulard duck breast, seared on hot iron skillet , till crispy then dipped in mix of soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic and pepper flakes. the 2 larger piece of duck breast were returned to the stove to crisp the skin some more after taking the picture as part of the skin does not look as well done although they registered 136 degrees.

Had some left over russet potatoes that was baked by my son for their weekend outing, He had stuffed them with butter, and cheddar cheese. I think it is a little heavy for our dinner tonight, so

, decided to slice them, fry in the duck fat left from searing the duck breast. They were more like country fries, crispy served with tabasco. Picture does not look good. I have 2 more of the russet potatoes, will probably use them as mashed potatoes.

vegetable was precooked organic beets with arugula, home made vinaigrette using lemon EVOO , honey , mustard. Added some toasted pine nuts, and extra pine nuts on the side as well as feta cheese ( son does not like feta cheese). It was excelletnt

Pictures does not do justice .

16 Likes

@ccj, like it all. looks great

thanks, am not a good photographer and often forget to take pictures until too late!

Grazie!

Impressive! I would have made off with the plate of tomatoes… :smile:

Hanging out with my favorite six year old tonight! He was telling me allllll about chess camp (six yr olds go to chess camp?? What do i know…) while we reconstructed the race track for his cars.
His dinner was beans and rice that had some chopped carrot in it

I had picked up a bodega tossed salad that was over dressed. Ugh. He didn’t finish the rice and beans so i added the leftovers to my salad

We shared some watermelon straight from the tupperware for dessert while watching one of The Incredibles movies

11 Likes

Congrats on your 1 year Asheville anniversary! You appear to have settled in nicely. :fireworks::confetti_ball::fireworks:

2 Likes

Dinner tonight:
London broil - Soy Vay ginger/garlic concoction marinade, cooked stove top with grill pan
Crash potatoes - steamed a creamy yellow variety, smashed in grill pan with meat drippings, seasoned with thyme and salt, finished under the broiler
Haricot vert - steamed to al dente, drizzled a little Cindy’s Roasted Garlic Caesar dressing atop.

I’ve always prepared London Broil under the broiler. The stove top grill pan gave better control of the temperature and produced perfect results. Cleaning said grill pan and surrounding stove top - not so thrilling. The crash potatoes were outstanding! Creamy innards, crispy, crunchy exterior! This has become my favorite method of preparing potatoes. The contents of the bag of haricot vert seem to be replenishing each night. These will be appearing daily for the foreseeable future.

Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of Mr. Harley Cat’s death. I think the Circus Cat knows - he has been being clingy and restless. All in all he has done pretty well with the adjustment of being a solo kitty for the first time in his life.

9 Likes

Have yet to master the broiler, stovetop grill pan is my go-to. Hardly any stove top collateral mess. Boil some water in the pan after grilling, then use a pair of chopsticks to clean what’s stuck between the grooves. Wipe with soapy sponge under faucet and good to go.

Dinner last night was Galbi, Serrano and Asparagus. All in one pan. No starch, trying to lose a few pounds. :frowning:

Yeah, SO does have the stove surrounded in case of any errant oil splatters.

9 Likes

What is being used?

Thanks for cleaning tip - I do a similar method!

Your dinner looks scrumptious! Got to say that my choice of dinner is often decided by how few pots and pans will be needed…

3 Likes

We get the cheap foil splash guards from Daiso for $1.50 each, use two at a time.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll keep an eye out for them. No Daiso here but we do have an H-Mart as a possibility.

2 Likes

Gyoza!

Actually, I had take-out carnitas, while I was making these.

12 Likes

I bet you could use the endless haricot vert for those delicious szechuan style dry fried green beans, i could eat piles of them…!

3 Likes

I hadn’t even thought about that recipe - I love them!

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Thank you! We love it.

{{{hugs}}} to you and Circus Cat. Always tough when you’re missing a four-legged family member.

And yes - this is always my bugaboo as well. BUT the grill pan has been my go-to since I can’t have an outdoor grill.

2 Likes