What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

That’s a bummer about the no-beet flavor!

1 Like

Your BF is hitting it out of the park lately! The molcajete is a nice touch :))

3 Likes

Nowthatsaboigah!

1 Like

Those are my kind of leftovers.

Guacamole is on my menu tonight. I don’t know about you, but avocadoes have been inexpensive lately, the last two I got were only 88 cents!

3 Likes

i don’t think they’re that cheap here - where are you? The BF bought this one so I’m not sure, but the last time I looked they were $1.50-$2.00 apiece.

I ate my left over shrimp tomato feta with rice for dinner, left over lychee in almond float for dessert.

The visitors and my son went out, he placed the crab pot back in the river this morning, caught a few, 8 of them, at around 4:00PM, steamed them outdoor ( somehow, he says that our chinese aluminum 3 stack steamer is no longer flat on the Bottom, takes too long to steam. I gave away my smaller calphalon pasta steamer pot bec the bottom was no longer flat either. So, he used an out outdoor steamer for around 4-6 dozen crabs. guess I have to look for a SS steamer, perhaps an All Clad one. I do have a small steamer , part of a set from all clad. Googled for steamers at Amazon but hate to buy another expensive All Clad. It seems only the All clad cookware and the coppers do not warp. Any body have experience with SS 3 tier steamer? Wander how thick the SS should be or if there is one with aluminum insert like All Clad but cheaper?

So , here are picture of the 8 crabs. They r nice and big, heavy too. When they return home , probably will eat

that as snack.

12 Likes

thanks! the BF is a whiz with leftovers. actually, he’s probably a better cook than I, and certainly a better plater - everything he makes looks pretty! he hasn’t been cooking as much lately, but it’s always a winner when he does.

5 Likes

Las Vegas. I’m used to paying $1.25-$2.00, so I jump on them when they’re under $1, but they’ve periodically go under $1 every month now. I’ve been eating lots of guacamole!

2 Likes

Last night I rubbed salmon filets with Penzeys’ The Now Curry and Badia adobo and pan seared. Served atop cauliflower rice and peas seasoned with ground coriander and butter. I much prefer cauliflower rice either stir-fried or served with a sauce.

13 Likes

Christina, that fish looks amazing

1 Like

A long day (almost 5-1/2 hours) at the car dealership getting the rear brakes replaced and new shoes for Gilda. Not the way I wanted to spend a day off, but hey - it’s better than what could happen if the brakes failed while driving.

Then a visit to a local country club to see if it works for the company’s holiday party - it does. :ok_hand:

So dinner had to be relatively easy - and since I still had corn to husk from Sunday’s purchase, I made Melissa Clark’s Creamy Corn Pasta with Basil. I subbed corn water from canned corn for the pasta water, Aleppo pepper for the ground black pepper, and I added bacon. Because BACON.

And it was good. DAMN good.

Yep - there was wine. Because I head back to work tomorrow. Fortification needed.

10 Likes

I just started reading her blog and showed that recipe to my wife. Looks as delicious as it reads.

1 Like

Thanks, my babe loves salmon, and he refused to eat anything the spice touched LOL. Will keep trying of course. The grown-ups enjoyed it!

1 Like

Solo meal -

Greek salad tonight topped with tuna salad and pita chips. Some hummus on the side.

5 Likes

Long overdue happy-houring with a friend :)) we ended up at Boqueria since it was nearby and they make a great sangria.

My friend ordered a few of the albodingas (lamb meatballs with sheeps milk cheese), the cucumber seemed like a weird choice of garnish but she loved them.
The pan con tomate (jamon on half only please) missed a pic since we were catching up on life

Some savory watermelon once home, this time with (gasp!!) basil which was delightful. There were a lot more olives that never made it into the bowl…

7 Likes

Dinner tonight was tuna steak, sous vide for an hour then seared in a screaming hot grill pan. Sides of rice/wild rice medley, sliced tomatoes and haricot verts. Regular green beans have been quite tough this summer. Lidl had packages of haricot verts that looked good - and they were!

Enough tuna was leftover so a rift on Niçoise salads will appear.

Looks like we’ve turned the corner towards autumn. Heat is a bit less intense. And the damn copperheads are back to lounging on the pavement in the evening. Let’s just say my evening walk was highly adrenalized.

5 Likes

Dinner last night was snax at friends’ home. I brought a FM dip - artichoke and jalapeno - and also found an Epicurious “recipe” for gorgonzola cream dip. Simply: put a big hunk of gorgonzola in a bowl (I actually used TJs’ Cambozola because it’s what I had), add a bit of heavy cream and mash, repeat until you get a consistency of yogurt (this takes more adding in of cream than you would think), whisk, add salt to taste (DON’T OMIT THIS STEP - as you add cream, you’ll need salt), drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil. I also sprinkled a little pepper to finish. You could add herbs too, but it’s so good as is…

People went crazy for it - scraping the bowl but leaving some of the FM dip behind. It’ll be a staple at all future parties!

Friends’ kid made a (slightly leaning) Betty Crocker cake, too. Plenty of pinot, cava, gin & vodka to drink.

13 Likes

Son and his friend from Amsterdam went to DC to drive the guest to the bus stop or train to NY.
They wil not be home for a while l as he has appointments in DC, are eating out tonight

Had coffee and biscotti with the vegan friend before he left, so invited a neighbor to come for an early dinner, mainly home made spring rolls, cheese with duck, wild boar saucisson, crackers, left over almond float and some left over shrimp tomato and feta.

It is raining heavily so, cannot work in the garden, am defrosting 2 pork butts which my son suggested that I smoke on Thursday ( 14-18 hours) for pulled Carolina pork as the friend from Amsterdam leaves next Wednesday. Wanted to invite some friends over Friday, perhaps stay over the weekend. So, defrosting it now slowly in the fridge, kosher salt rub tomorrow if defrosted, ( takes a while to defrost in fridge but do not dare leave it on counter), will to make a batch of Memphis rub as I run out last time I made smoked ribs.

I had pan fried spring rolls ( aka lumpia or Shanghai lumpia as opposed to fresh without frying ) for lunch with soy sauce, cider vinegar, crush garlic and crushed red pepper for dip.

11 Likes

Just so you know those long things are an ocular injury waiting to happen :wink:

4 Likes

:smile: and they weren’t very good, either.