What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Made a chicken Panang curry last night

9 Likes

This makes me tired. I’ve really had enough of boutique diets and self-diagnosed afflictions. Gluten-free? Bring a doctors note for celiac. Vegan? Great - I can accommodate, but if you eat anything off diet (and I will know) I’ll never cook for you again.

There are too many whiners. I’m cooking what I’m cooking. I’m more than happy to tell you what it is so you can plan accordingly. If you are as important as you think you are (boss or customer) I’ll feed everyone off your needs. No, you can’t disrupt my kitchen by bringing your own to cook or heat.

Ms. Post and Ms. Vanderbilt are rolling over in their graves, and Ms. Martin is rolling her eyes.

The rudeness of the entitled is truly beyond comprehension.

3 Likes

he eats grudgingly salmon, shrimp and scallops since I have very little to offer other than canned bamboo shoots and organic beets from Costco.
He has a chef that cooks for him
However, he did consume and loved the shrimp with tomatoes I cooked.
He will not eat my dessert of almond jelly ( gelatin is from animal bones), drinks espresso,.
Thank good ness he is going away for lunch with my other guest to tour Southern Maryland, so I do not have to cook lunch.
Perhaps for dinner, he will buy some hummus which he finished consuming this morning together with English muffin.
I just hardly drive, no grocery store that I like locally .

1 Like

This almost sounds like a subject for another thread/discussion.
Perhaps not, the few comments I see here tells me that those here are quite flexible, and like myself, and maybe foolishly try to satisfy my guest needs food wise…. but then again there is always the guest whose “needs” are beyond my ability to meet and satisfy… Just saying…

3 Likes

Your friend is def not vegan.

3 Likes

probably a lapse vegan
Perhaps he is vegan at home with his chef who prepares his meals
buut visiting, he obliges a bit.
I was not aware that he is a vegan
Last time he came to visit was 2011. I saw him 2008 when he was living in our condo in Amsterdam, am not sure if I cooked for him as he had to move out when my husband an I arrived there since we only had a 2BR condo but I definitely cooked for him 2011.
Am not worried. Next time he visits, I may not be around/

You are certainly a very generous hostess so I hope you don’t let this incident upset you- it’s surprising he did not mention the new quasi-vegan diet before arriving.

2 Likes

Grilled shrimp cocktail with spicy mustard, linguini and clams. Tossed greens with watermelon and grilled lime.

Im hungry!

6 Likes

He is not my friend but my son’s.
I have only met him twice, once in 2008 and another time in 2010 when he came to visit my son who was also visiting us.
I did not know of. his dietary preference in 2008 as he was staying in our condo in Amsterdam as guest since my son was always traveling and we only visit Amsterdam once in a.while/ I do not remember cooking for him bec he left after we arrived.

In 2010, he came to visit, I did cook a meal but nothing was said of. his preference.
Perhaps it was bec I was under severe strain, my husband having been undergoing chemo in preparation for stem cell transplant .
Perhaps, he told my son he was arriving bec of our guest from Amsterdam but I cannot blame I’m entirely bec my son is a bit irresponsible.

1 Like

weekend away with friends meant lots of wine tasting, eating, and slothing: my favorite type of weekend. No cooking at all on this trip! Burgers and a brontosaurus pork porterhouse, and cider donuts, and vino vino vino.

Came home to the BF’s dinner of pan fried chicken, with the skins fried separately for extra crispiness, taters, and a mushroom/bacon gravy that he added green beans to, And a green salad (all things in the fridge that had to be eaten.)

12 Likes

But whatever he was, you were wonderful to him.

5 Likes

Picked up a few sides of steelhead from Coatco today. The belly and tails are on the smoker at the moment. The rest was portioned, vac packed and frozen for weekday meals

4 Likes

Bacon Cheeboigah! Cheeboigah!
(seasoned with garlic powder and Aleppo pepper)

No cheeps - Tarragon Potato Salad! And Corn & Sugar Snap Pea Salad!

No Coke! No Pepsi either!
WINE! :clinking_glasses:

13 Likes

Yeah, that’s TOTALLY on the guest to mention beforehand. If not, then it sounds like he’s a flexitarian / semi-vegetarian.

2 Likes

That meal just SINGS to me! :notes::musical_score::musical_note:

2 Likes

Picked up some steelhead at Costco today. The bellies and tails went into the smoker.

Steamed broccoli from the Cuisenart steam oven with Red Boat fish sauce and Thai chili sauce as a dressing

8 Likes

Yay, I cooked! So happy to be home. Chicken with Smashed Broccoli, inspired by Tyler Florence. It was nothing special, but it tasted healthy and my tummy is full. #whatIreallyeat
And I used Costco rotisserie chicken. Ok, so maybe I didn’t really cook. But it was at home and it was cheap!

12 Likes

Snacky dinner, due to a late afternoon Mochi Situation wasn’t especially hungry. Found a beet “hummus” on clearance at the market near me, it was so pretty! The beet garnish was delicious, but the hummus-y part was surprisingly bland. After the pic and eating off the garnish i mixed it in a bowl with some more tahini and lemon juice which helped it a lot. Still no actual beet flavor detected.

Dunked in some sugar snap peas, cucumber, radishes and bell pepper. Kombucha a la carte.

7 Likes

haha #LindaWhit, yes, totally your type of dinner! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

BF made doctored up everything - chicken tacos out of the meat leftover last night - so much better than last night even! super juicy and spiced with cumin, chipotle, paprika, granulated garlic, and cayenne. also doctored up plain white rice, turned into mexi-rice, and doctored up canned black beans. And fresh guac and chips.

13 Likes