What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Fair enough. I own the model I linked and it works very well. If it didnt Id return it and buy a better mousetrap. I have it probably four yrs. Our parm consumption is moderate😉

1 Like

Tonight…

…started with steamed tenderstem broccoli and a peanut satay sauce. OK but not a keeper.

Followed by pan fried pork fillet, mashed spuds, leeks braised in butter and a white wine & Dijon sauce

Dessert…lemon curd meringue roulade with strawberries

And, as an aside, can I recommend you have a try at this Nigel Slater recipe for tomato confit. We’re now on our second batch and it’s so versatile. Salad, sauce, topping for crostini. Tastes fab. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jun/24/nigel-slater-preserved-tomatoes-recipes

7 Likes

Tonight needed something quick and easy. Having vac packs of SV chicken thigh confit in the freezer made that happen.

After a quick thaw in the sink using the Anova to keep the water moving the thighs were browned to render fat and sliced mushrooms were cooked with the chicken as they soaked up both fat and flavor. Served with grilled squash

10 Likes

[quote=“Rooster, post:238, topic:14351”]

[Zyliss® Restaurant Cheese Grater]

That’s what I have as well, only for grating Parm-Reg. I know it’s a one-use kitchen tool, but I like it and make sure there’s room for it in my kitchen drawers.

1 Like

A nice day. Dinner decided in the drive home from the Salem Flea in a downpour after mentally taking inventory of my fridge.

Romaine, hard-boiled eggs, cukes, radishes, my tomatoes, goat cheese, bacon, minced red onion, homemade croutons with buttermilk-herb dressing. Pic is pre-dressing and croutons, because it was the best picture. LOL

13 Likes

Thats one beautiful dish.

1 Like

Thanks, looks good, may try it out.

It’s so satisfying to be able to say “my tomatoes”!

3 Likes

The cooking meetup I belong to had a small potluck tonight (18 people). I decided to make another tomato pie and try a few changes I was contemplating. The biggest change was the addition of some fresh corn kernels. A seasoning change and a few procedural changes were made. Just enough leftover for me to have a small piece for lunch. I’ll assess the new rendition then. Several folks sought me out for the recipe so I’d say it was a hit!

The celebration was observed by a plump grey cat who wasn’t the least bit daunted by a houseful of strangers. He gave every visitor a friendly leg rub in welcome.

It was fun. Food people are generally good company!

11 Likes

I cooked!! Well, i mean i boiled water which is practically the same thing…
munched a whole lot of sugar snap peas dipped in salt while waiting for the water to boil and such
Some veggie dumplings ontop of cruciferous crunch which got a bit wilty, with scallions and soyaki. Kombucha a la carte.

14 Likes

A nice visit with Mom, and a bonus visit to Ward’s Berry Farm nearby to pick up more fresh corn, peaches, blueberries, a small Sugar Cube cantaloupe, and the best score:
fresh black Mission figs!

Dinner was a small rack of baby back ribs with an apple cider BBQ sauce, Tarragon Potato Salad, and Corn & Sugar Snap Pea Salad. There was wine.

Dessert made use of those figs - fresh figs with goat cheese and peppered honey.

It was a good day.

17 Likes

Wow, I am impressed. Those figs are calling me.

1 Like

have problem buying fresh figs in my area
just discovered sun dried figs at Costco, very reasonable, and now , I am addicted to it.
They are smyrna figs, organic, sundered, very juicy , no additives. Company is Funny Fruit.
It cost around $10.00, 19.99 from Amazon

1 Like

Smoked bbq chicken thighs with cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden.

13 Likes

Shorter window than I would like in NJ. My sister has a fig tree and if I time it right she has plenty to share. They are small but tasty.

1 Like

dinner tonight was 2 lbs of red Patagonia shrimp, sautéed with lots of garlic, a tin of anchovy in olive oil, chipotle and adobo sauce, juice of one lemon
This was divided equally between two trays of tomatoes, cut into wedges, EVOO, some Italian seasonings, in 375 degrees oven for around 20 minutes till juices were rendered. One tray was then topped with Feta cheese and the other tray without cheese. ( son does not eat Feta, one of the guest is vegan) Then, the shrimp was added on top, served with rice.
I also stir fried chicken breast using some chinese brown bean sauce and gochujang as marinade, with green peppers, caramelized onions , poblano peppers, ginger, and bamboo shoots. Because one of the guest is vegan, after sautéing the vegetables, I removed a third of it, for the guest, and then added the chicken . Added some sesame oil as finishing touch.
Served over rice.
Dessert was almond float and lychee
Forgot to take pictures with so many things going on, the shrimp dish had to be split in half bec 2 diner does not eat feta cheese, the chicken dish also has to be modified to serve my vegan guest.
So, forgot to take pictures but my guest loved it despite the fact. he does not like anchovies.

I have to figure out what I will be cooking tomorrow and Tuesday as they had mussels and rockfish in Cataplana yesterday, ( I made the soffrito with tomatoes etc and added smoked paprika , a large pinch of saffron and white wine so all my son. had to do its add the soffrito, the mussels, rockfish and a bit more Pino Grigio to the cataplana last night, and for lunch they had grilled salmon. There were 3 left over potatoes stuffed with cheese from their trip as well as grilled salmon. My dogs will not eat their dinner tonight, They wil have the left over salmon tomorrow for breakfast, :icky Picky Poms, but I love th em despite that!

My vegan guest is a bit picky too. Told me after I added the anchovy that he does not eat anchovy but will eat the shrimp dish despite the anchovy which he thought was fabulous
Oh I forgot that gelatin is made of protein from pigs or cows. So, no dessert for him. I offered cashew nuts but he was full.
Maybe we can have some baby squid, fried in Korean fried seafood mix and marinara sauce tomorrow.

Tuesday will have to be salmon or shrimp again. Have not had an crabs at all as son is too busy. He gave away the crabs that we caught in the crab pot to my dismay! Not a whole lot but would have loved crab in lobster sauce. ( The lobster sauce is really ground pork cooked with garlic, onion, some rice wine, dried chinese black beans , and then add some chicken broth, thickened with cornstarch and scrambled eggs and sesame oil with fried scallions at the end. I do not know why it is called lobster sauce. I sometimes substitute cooked crabs instead of shrimp )

3 Likes

Salad of All of The Things with lazy girl tempeh;
Chopped up iceburg, scallions, radishes, corn, cilantro, olives and cucumber. I just sliced some tempeh and added a sprinkle of soy sauce. Kombucha a la carte

8 Likes

Your vegan guest is ok with the seafood…? Vegan is no animal or fish products (no eggs, no dairy, no cheese etc…)
Maybe tomorrow you can ask before cooking what would work for him from what you are planning to make to save you some effort

6 Likes

Sometimes I talk to people saying they are vegetarian (especially French), but they eat chicken and seafood occasionally, which is quite confusing… I think some thinks not eating red meat is vegetarian. But then vegan eating seafood, go figure.

I agree with you that @ccj should ask the guest what he can eat and not.

3 Likes

I was wondering about this as well. Vegans normally don’t eat any animal products, including seafood. Sounds like a “pick and choose” vegan…

2 Likes