What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Have you ever tried their baguettes?? The baguettes looked very tempting.

We like the Alamany fm very much, but Thursdays are going to be Mission days.

They aren’t corn :slight_smile:

:exploding_head: ?!??

no, but will try!

I do like the Alemany FM too, but this one is just too close to my house.

1 Like

that’s the most beautiful polenta ever.

Agree Maria. Looks real silky

1 Like

my son cannot live without Costco’s parmesan. I also have a block in the kitchen fridge, and another block on reserve in the basement fridge after I run out once and did not have chance to visit Costco which is quite a ways from our home.
We use a grater similar to the one they use at Olive Garden.
Not only pasta but for his breakfast eggs and bacon ( cooked bacon from Costco ), almost everything except soup perhaps.

2 Likes

Frittata with squash blossoms from Mission st FM.

22 Likes

We enjoyed veggies and beet hummus out with drinks, followed by trashy cheeseburger-cauli mac at home. High-low.

14 Likes

that beet hummus!

5 Likes

So jealous, your farmers markets are something to behold.

4 Likes

Seriously impressive veggies and hummus there! I like that they gave you interesting veggies with the hummus too

Tomato hidden tofu salad; lots of grape tomatoes, some shredded cabbage that i massaged with vinegrette, olives, cilantro, and the last bit of a cucumber. Hidden tofu at the bottom to catch the tasty seasonings.
The tomato skins were a bit tough, which seems to be hit or miss with little tomatoes like this.
Sides of kombucha and a handful of pretzel fishes

11 Likes

tonight’s dinner is to be 2 lbs of dry scallops for 3 of us.my son, me and his guest from the Amsterdam.
Well, the 2 dashed out as they received a call from a mutual friend who is flying in from Miami with his 11 year old son( I saw the kid when we were in Amsterdam in 2008. I guess he was 2. years old then)
I called my son saying 2 lbs of scallops not enough for 5. Please buy some hamburger or chicken nuggets for the kids. He says not to worry. He will think of something.
Hmm, I have nothing ready. Do not know how long this friend is staying. They are sailing away tomorrow , probably staying overnight on the beach at Solomon’s, and returning Sunday .
So, just defrosted some chicken breast, Will stir fry that with some canned bamboo shoots, poblano chili, roasted pepper ( in a jar) maybe use one of the eggplant in the fridge.
Hope it turns out OK and do not forget to take pictures.

Well, they arrived. Had some food in DC , not hungry yet so my son is busy preparing food for their meals for the next 2 days. Mussels, fish to cook in the cataplana ( he asked me to make the soffrito ) The friend who visited last in 2011 was not a vegan then, , is now a vegan. So, no meat! the chicken will be just for us. But, my son says 2 lbs of U15 scallops is fine. I had them defrosting in the fridge, then dusted them with baking powder and will sear them in butter an olive oil, then fry 4 large shallot while they are cooking, set them aside and then add baby arugula to the pan with lemon olive oil till wilted, add lots and lots of parmesan cheese to the arm arugula.
I guess the chicken will be cooked at 2:00Am when they re hungry. Have to find some vegan food for Damian though. They are staying till Tuesday. So, have to look into sea food, maybe salmon one day , shrimp another day . Well , hope I do not forget picture when I cook as now, I am resting since my son is busy baking stuffed potatoes, preparing meals for the next 2 days so cooking is minimal.

Guess what, Damian’s son will not eat scallops, so, my son prepared pizza with pesto, pepperoni, mozzarella and some capers. He saw the capers, asked what it is and I said jokingly. " dog’s hair. they re all over the house, they shed." He refused to eat the pizza. Fortunately, we have a frozen pizza from the grocery store, so had to cook that in the oven.

Between all these problems, I forgot to take pictures. The scallops were wonderful, so was the greens but forgot Damian will not eat cheese and had lots of grated parmesan sprinkled on the baby arugula after it had a brief stir. He was polite enough to eat that saying it is good and he will cheat tonight.

Oh well ! I have just finished cleaning my kitchen. Between all those foods, 2 kinds of pizza, drinks, food to take out tomorrow for their 2 days, trip, I am exhausted. My center kitchen island alone is 15 ’ by 5 ft. It was loaded with food and that is excluding the other counter.

I need a vacation!

10 Likes

Soup…I always put some of the rinds in my vegetable soup, which is tomato based…
Gotta give it a try on eggs, or perhaps a veggie omelet.
I have four different gadgets to grate my cheese: a box grater, a hand held flat grater, vegetable peeler and a microplane… all work well with hard cheese like parm.

3 Likes

I make the beet humus for my granddaughter, who absolutely loves humus… and then she tells her friend that my grandpa makes “purple monster food”… I guess her friends thinks I am a monster? It is really so easy, by simply adding some caned or fresh beets with their juice.

6 Likes

Aside from those that you have, our favorite is one used at Olive Garden called the classic Zyllis rotary cheese grater. We leave that in a rectangular freezer container from Container store, together with our block of parmesan cheese, leave it in our fridge, dedicated for use with parmesan cheese only.

. It works very well, very reasonable. We saw it around 12 years ago at Olive Garden ,inquired and they told us what trademark it is… Parmesan cheese just comes out very fine! It retails for $31.99 at Amazon. Be sure it is the classic one! Never had problem since we bought it, Use it almost everyday when my son is here

3 Likes

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/zyliss-reg-restaurant-cheese-grater/1040521176?skuId=40521176&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_kitchenfoodprep_online&product_id=40521176&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o1&creative=224484706035&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=558377654&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=0&gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOFuRucKTE_ebc9xhdbm3qdXFk-SpuLH5asp4P309b2uFHJNLEM2xTBoC3ocQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Save a few bucks. We bought ours at BBB with that notorious 20% coupon. Agree, dedicated to parm and does a great job. Cool idea about the container.

2 Likes

Ah but that is a different grater, well worth the price of 31.99
Look at the one being sold at Amazon which is the Zyliss Classic cheese grate.
That is the one Olive Garden recommended to us many many. years ago, perhaps over 10 years ago.
If Phreddy has not purchased one, I strongly recommends this other one if he is serious about dedicating a grater for parmesan cheese
Here is part of a review
compared to the NSF Restaurant it’s incredible. This does a nice smooth job of grating, with little of the jerky- jerky movement of the NSF. It also has minimal tendency to produce long thin shreds of cheese. A problem with the long threads of cheese is that when you tap the grater to get out residual cheese the threads stay attached to the drum. On the NSF there are 4 spaces of about 3/8" which gives a very uneven sensation as you rotate. This one does as well, but the rows of holes/ cutters are angled as opposed to straight across, so you always have contact with the cutting edge on cheese. The size and the shape of the cutting hole is smaller and round as opposed to square, which is why this grates more than shreds. The plastic is also different from the restaurant Zyliss NSF certified one. It is heavier, scratch and impact resistant, does not bend nor flex. Trust me. It has a 5. year warranty but ours is way over 10 years.

1 Like

pls read my comment sent to Rooster Dan re zyliss classic versus zyliss NSF certified restaurant grater if you are interested in buying one dedicated for parmesan cheese.
Believe me, there is a big difference.

1 Like