What's for Dinner #36 - August and Everything After

Have you ever attempted your own challah?..I never have…although I have heard it is very easy…

Two 7.5 Oz cans of chipotle in adobo and one 14 oz block of guava paste. Blended in the food pro until smooth. Makes a sweet and hot condiment. It was just something I thought could work and I have made it for several years and just love it. Added to soup or stews or as a spread on a sandwich. It’s quite versatile any place you want some sweet heat

6 Likes

i have and the loaves are small and not as airy as I like for french toast. Better for sandwiches. Right now Im proofing two rounds of whole wheat.

I enjoy guava and I use the paste as part of a pastry filling during holidays.

Our own #linguafood inspired me to buy some of this Chinese seasoning for chicken (at least i think it’s for chicken) from our Chinatown. Mostly ginger, s&p, and “spices”, it’s very aromatic. I got home late so I asked the BF to take over, with Natascha’s instructions. I wanted to use thighs but we had legs in the freezer. Had the BF season liberally and then roast the legs at 350 degrees for an hour - probably too long as they dried out a bit although didn’t get very dark/crispy, even though we stuck them under the broiler for a bit. We liked the flavor, but I wanted more. I’m going to try seasoning thighs even more liberally next time, and sauteing them, and then maybe rolling each piece in the seasoning after. I will probably try it on pork too.

BF also made fresh kimchi and scallion pancakes, rice and spicy cukes.

and a pic of the BF’s dinner from a couple nights ago:

TJ’s pork belly, mashed taters with lots of Kerrygold, shrooms cooked with sherry, sauteed zucchini, and a slice of tomato with oil/vinegar. Those mushrooms were the best part!

15 Likes

Linda Whit posted a photo of some gorgeous roast chicken a week or so again. I kept thinking about that chicken. Finally made it last night!

I have a lot of “new to me” items from Penzey’s due to their generous offers this year. Decided to mix some of the Country French Vinaigrette seasoning with a little olive oil and rub that over the air dried skin. I’m working my way through what seems like a life time supply of croutons from Costco so used a handful as the start of some stuffing. Moistened it with chicken stock, added celery with lots of leaves. Chicken roasted over a bed of mushrooms, carrots, onion, zucchini & fennel to use up odds and ends in the vegetable bin.

Turned out quite nice! I’m proud to say I resisted consuming all of the crispy skin while letting the bird rest.

Have an avocado ready so dinner tonight will be a chicken sandwich of lightly toasted seeded bread with mayo topped with avocado and tomato. Champagne grapes on the side.

10 Likes

You ever try nutritional yeast? Totally not the same but actually really tasty and adds that umami-ness. Although probably worth ordering some parm online since it would ship well

1 Like

Sounds like the effort was well worth it!

I have a dumb question for you… do you eat the stems on champagne grapes?? I like them but have little patience for fussing with picking them off the stems and end up wishing i had bought “normal” grapes! But maybe i am going about it the wrong way?

1 Like

My man won bigly at our latest poker game and, inspired by a pic posted by our very own @mariacarmen, splurged on a LB of fresh lobster meat that I turned into lobstah rolls last night.

Can’t find the proper rolls (these split thru while I was pan-toasting them in bacon fat), so for the second rendition tonight with the leftover lobster meat, I’ll be having mine on a kaiser roll.

Side is cuke/tomato/red onion/parsley salad and COTC. 'tis the season after all.

17 Likes

That’s a good mix for roasted chicken - thanks for the idea! :smiley: But I totally would have scarfed the crispy skin. That’s the cook’s reward, doncha know!

1 Like

Honey Crunch mustard/lemon roasted chicken thighs.
Roasted Herbs de Provence baby potatoes.
Steamed broccoli.
Wine.

This was good.

9 Likes

No, they seem too thick to do so. I place my lips around a clump and gently pull off a small mouthful.

My inner 5 year old still delights in being able to feel like a giant eating tiny things. Used to love the mini pickled corn cobs at Chinese restaurants!

6 Likes

I’ll have to try them again and try your way of eating them which sounds clever.
I kind of totally still love those mini corn! Regardless of the fact they don’t actually taste anything like corn…(?)

There has been a Watermelon Situation lately, namely i lugged home a huge not great one a few days ago that thankfully turned into tasty juice (with some lemon and ginger) but didn’t satisfy the crunchy cold cravings.
New watermelon today!! And cilantro :grin: added some of that fancy black salt too. Not pictured appetizer of those hideous meatless balls (yes i like them plain) and glass of kombucha

11 Likes

Every time you share a photo of watermelon with that black salt it throws me. Even though I just read that you used the black salt I look at the photo and my first thought is “what strange seeds that watermelon has”!

4 Likes

I have checked out this one dude who puts watermelons in the smoker . Takes off all of the rind and puts them in the smoker. Don’t remember where I saw this on the net.

1 Like

Hi 'all. Following WFD since inception. I don’t take the time (hands covered with food) to take pictures when working in the kitchen, so sorry, no worthwhile contributions to this thread.

Made a simple mutt of a sandwich tonight. A muffaletta meets Banh Mi with a touch of SF North Beach.

Tapenade of olives, basil, jalapeno, reggiano and olive oil.

Chewy airy Ciabatta from the Thursday afternoon farmer’s market in the Mission in SF.

Grilled marinated pork toro (neck meat).

IMG_3771

Some pickled scallions for touch of tang and sweetness. This worked out well.

21 Likes

i JUST bought that ciabatta for the first time ever! i’m half a block from that FM and never thought to buy their bread. it was fab!

and welcome!

4 Likes

NYT creamy corn pasta tonight, though i didn’t blend it so it wasn’t creamy. Still, delish. i compensated by using a shit-ton of butter and parm. added haricort verts, too. Also, because the BF must have meat, I made my own sausage patties, with FM ground pork, seasoned with plenty of fennel seed, granulated garlic & onion, sage, dried chili flakes, smoky paprika, s&p. A little too much “s,” sadly. on the side was some roasted pepper with evoo/sherry vinegar/maldon salt.

13 Likes

Polenta with short rib gravy . Sauteed spinach with garlic . Really liked this meal . Especially the polenta which was light and fluffy. Can’t forget that dusting of tube Parma . Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers.

14 Likes